Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ronin MX Camera controls on M600

Reaction score
Haven’t been able to find clear verification... when using the Ronin MX with M600, what camera control is available to the Pilot using DJIGo? Do you have focus, ability to change apature, iso, exposure, etc. If using a lens that does have electronic zoom, do you have access to the lens zoom? The Z3 & Z30 provide full integrated camera controls & zoom on DJIGo app. Can a DSLR: Sony A7, GH4 / 5, etc be controlled by Pilot?

I have a feeling that answer is No, or much less & limited. If limited, what is the scope of control? Are there optional components to add control?

When not using this combo yet, it’s a little confusing understanding the limitations. If this setup is limited, what is the strong appeal... the larger format camera?

So I do not have a final confirmation on this, I am trying to figure it out myself for my Canon EOS 5D Mk IV, but my understanding is that when using a DSLR we have zero functional control over the camera through DJI GO. There is also no functionality for automated waypoint shooting when using a DSLR as of this moment, and you must either map camera controls via the expansion ports on the A3 to the master controls or use the slave control (Ronin controls) to manually shoot photos via the DJI RSS.

The M600, in my opinion, is proving to be a fairly useless platform if you wish to do photogrammetry, until someone finds a reliable fix to these third party camera issues. Unfortunate considering the value of the platform. Hope this helps.

So I do not have a final confirmation on this, I am trying to figure it out myself for my Canon EOS 5D Mk IV, but my understanding is that when using a DSLR we have zero functional control over the camera through DJI GO. There is also no functionality for automated waypoint shooting when using a DSLR as of this moment, and you must either map camera controls via the expansion ports on the A3 to the master controls or use the slave control (Ronin controls) to manually shoot photos via the DJI RSS.

The M600, in my opinion, is proving to be a fairly useless platform if you wish to do photogrammetry, until someone finds a reliable fix to these third party camera issues. Unfortunate considering the value of the platform. Hope this helps.

For the fully controlled DSLR, it has it's negative or challenges... although I think I found a possible solution with Intelli-G version 2.

Hm Page: https://intelli-g.com. Camera Chart: https://intelli-g.com/features and new bit on M600: Compatible with DJI M600 (A3 & LB2) | Intelli-G

The GH4/GH5 appears to be fully supported and Canon appears to have the basic controls covered.
Most of the YouTubes, including the ones on the intelli Site (AerialMedia.Pro) are Version 1, the Version 2 is soon to be released or just released. Only based on reading & various YouTube videos, it has multiple options to provide pretty much full control.
Their preferred method is 2nd RC Controller for the Photo Op, but also for the Solo Op you can add the Expanded Module on the RC. Personally, I was looking at the expanded module with autonomous flight programs and able to run gimbal & camera. Although, I was wondering if the gimbal & camera could be autonomous too, like in Litchi.

I'm optimistic on the M600. It's not the M210 platform with the versatility of camera placement. But it has the advantage of large Ronin MX gimbal that the others don't have.... I'm assuming most are content if they can control the gimbal, with camera pre-set meeting their needs. Although I do like the M600's ability to mount multiple gimbal frames allowing for the X3, X5, X5R, Z3 and XT R thermo to be mounted and a 2nd one for the newly released Z30 Zoom. Rumors indicate it's soon to mount X4S & X5S; also read/watched some chatter about adding a Dual Gimbal or the ability to run both Top & Bottom Gimbal. The X5Raw would be a good option too.

All the Zenmuse maintain full DJI GO App functionality; besides the lack of coverage desired DSLR cameras, it's a nice large bird with ample redundancy that should be very stable in windy conditions.

As added expense, DJI offers the Start / Stop module and the DJI Focus. But if the above Intelli-G V2 can provide all that plus camera settings & control that would be a more complete option for a fraction of the cost of adding the 2 DJI modules. l

I've had extensive contact with intelli-g and unfortunately they have chosen to exclude wifi control for the Canon DSLRs in their package. It would have been an interesting idea, and maybe even a worthy fix to the problem we are having in our group.

The DJI focus module is an interesting option for camera control in flight; however, it looks to me like that gives you either focus or aperture control and not both.

I've had extensive contact with intelli-g and unfortunately they have chosen to exclude wifi control for the Canon DSLRs in their package. It would have been an interesting idea, and maybe even a worthy fix to the problem we are having in our group.

The DJI focus module is an interesting option for camera control in flight; however, it looks to me like that gives you either focus or aperture control and not both.
On a plus side, the DJI Focus gives you both in my understanding. You can toggle between the two.
That's disappointing on the Canon with Intelli-g. The Sony & GH4/5 series look pretty well covered.

On a plus side, the DJI Focus gives you both in my understanding. You can toggle between the two.
That's disappointing on the Canon with Intelli-g. The Sony & GH4/5 series look pretty well covered.

I believe that their intention was for this to be used with the Sony A7R and other Sony lines, which makes sense as not many folks are using these drones for photogrammetry, and simply wanting to use them for shooting high quality video. The greater research community has been dragging it's feet with utilizing drones, so it may be a while before we see much support for high-quality DSLRs

I believe that their intention was for this to be used with the Sony A7R and other Sony lines, which makes sense as not many folks are using these drones for photogrammetry, and simply wanting to use them for shooting high quality video. The greater research community has been dragging it's feet with utilizing drones, so it may be a while before we see much support for high-quality DSLRs
I just received an email from them, and they indicated the GH4 was the camera they designed & built the intelli-g around, then expanded to other DSLR's.

Not sure it helps, but while looking at the M210, I was informed the X4S was ideal for the map & photogrammetry because it has a mechanical shutter in comparison to the X5S. Just mentioning... I have no experience with photogrammetry at this stage.

I just received an email from them, and they indicated the GH4 was the camera they designed & built the intelli-g around, then expanded to other DSLR's.

Not sure it helps, but while looking at the M210, I was informed the X4S was ideal for the map & photogrammetry because it has a mechanical shutter in comparison to the X5S. Just mentioning... I have no experience with photogrammetry at this stage.

The problem with the X4S is that it is only a 20MP camera. Were it around 30MP and had a faster shutter then it would be idea, alas it is quite useless for precision photogrammetry.

The problem with the X4S is that it is only a 20MP camera. Were it around 30MP and had a faster shutter then it would be idea, alas it is quite useless for precision photogrammetry.

Looking at various sites on photogrammetry now that you've sparked some interest.
Again, not my speciality but that's interesting you site the X4S as useless, I've read from several sites that perform 3D mapping, Photogrammetry, etc that the X4S is a great, some state exceptional tool for these purposes.

This site considers the X4S exceptional... Klau Geomatics
You might find some interesting helpful tidbits on this site, I noticed they mention M210 & M600.
Among several other modeling and/or photogrammetry sites, PhotoModeler UAS had interesting info too. PhotoModeler UAS Product Overview
I realize there are dozens of 3D Modeling, Mapping, Photogrammetry sites, just searching for M600 M210 and stumbled across these.

Curious in new tangents, what software are you using for your projects?

Looking at various sites on photogrammetry now that you've sparked some interest.
Again, not my speciality but that's interesting you site the X4S as useless, I've read from several sites that perform 3D mapping, Photogrammetry, etc that the X4S is a great, some state exceptional tool for these purposes.

This site considers the X4S exceptional... Klau Geomatics
You might find some interesting helpful tidbits on this site, I noticed they mention M210 & M600.
Among several other modeling and/or photogrammetry sites, PhotoModeler UAS had interesting info too. PhotoModeler UAS Product Overview
I realize there are dozens of 3D Modeling, Mapping, Photogrammetry sites, just searching for M600 M210 and stumbled across these.

Curious in new tangents, what software are you using for your projects?

Well, as goes the old adage "One mans trash is another mans treasure", for some it may be sufficient for their purposes, but we are using photogrammetry to conduct geophysical studies and thus the X4S does not provide sufficient resolution for our purposes. We use Agisoft to build Structure from Motion (SfM) models of various structures: landslides, glaciers, the banks of rivers ect. We also create very high-resolution Digital Surface/Digital Elevation Models (DSM/DEM), and use these to observe geophysical processes. We are looking to create these at cm scale resolution, so higher MP essentially translates to higher resolution. A higher resolution camera also allows us to fly higher at some of our target locations which maintaining large image overlap, necessary for the creation of these high-resolution 3D maps.

Well, as goes the old adage "One mans trash is another mans treasure", for some it may be sufficient for their purposes, but we are using photogrammetry to conduct geophysical studies and thus the X4S does not provide sufficient resolution for our purposes. We use Agisoft to build Structure from Motion (SfM) models of various structures: landslides, glaciers, the banks of rivers ect. We also create very high-resolution Digital Surface/Digital Elevation Models (DSM/DEM), and use these to observe geophysical processes. We are looking to create these at cm scale resolution, so higher MP essentially translates to higher resolution. A higher resolution camera also allows us to fly higher at some of our target locations which maintaining large image overlap, necessary for the creation of these high-resolution 3D maps.

Yep, use the tools that satisfy the task at hand. Totally agree with that one!
Back on the intelli-G, as we touched earlier... if going for max resolution and compatibility with Ronin MX & intelli-g; the Sony A7R @ 42meg 7900x5300 would provide you a nice increase over the Canon 5D @ 30meg 6720x4480 and appears to work well with the RoninMX & intelli-G. About the same increase & improvement from X4S to 5D. On Lenses, the Sony seem to be taking the edge last few years.
I've been a long time Canon user, but leaning to selling off and moving to Sony A series for improvement in gear and compatibility with aerial operations.

I've looked at Agisoft Photoscan, several nice features over Pix4D and others. I'd like to see a lower cost solution for the individual & low volume usage that offer the features within Photoscan Pro.

Are you doing aerial with manned AC now or using a different drone setup while evaluating the M600 / Ronin / Canon? If you're using a drone platform; what is it currently and what camera is providing the Full Frame Sensor of the 5D.

Your work sounds exciting and a blast to enjoy; if this technology had been available when I was in my 20-30's as yourself it would have been a game changer for me, but in my 60's it's still fascinating and entertaining from a different prespective. Enjoy the projects, sounds fun!

I've read enough on the intelli-G to see it's benefits, and will be purchasing along with the RoninMX. New gear to learn & explore!

Last edited:
Hey guys I use the m600pro ronin MX, Sony a7r3 with air commander 2 and have FULL camera control up to about 1500 feet max. Less in nyc.

Its a bit annoying to setup each time and the a7 EATSup the roninmx battery (as its running off the ptap) but at last,full frame 42mp, metabones and canon glass at 400 feet. I love it.

Reactions: niki
Hey guys I use the m600pro ronin MX, Sony a7r3 with air commander 2 and have FULL camera control up to about 1500 feet max. Less in nyc.

Its a bit annoying to setup each time and the a7 EATSup the roninmx battery (as its running off the ptap) but at last,full frame 42mp, metabones and canon glass at 400 feet. I love it.

I was just looking at the Air Commander V2 today. Nice to see your post! It appears the Air commander is focused on the Sony A series and a fully stand alone camera controller through their separate controller. I asked them if they offered a full integration with the DJIgo app like Intelli-G and they indicated it would remain fully separate.

Do you solo ops or tandem team? If solo, how do you mount the controller and is the camera view through a separate screen or main tablet? I assume camera view is through primary RC tablet because the video and gimbal remain on the DJI light lightbridge2 side and only camera controls are Air Commander.

Looks like a great solution for Sony A series.

Last edited:
I actually sold my canon 5dsr bc the djigo app blackouts with canons after each photo for about 3-5 seconds. The shutter release was the only canon option I found.

I use it for photography so I put the drone in place and the Sony a7r3, SRW-60g, a second controller allows me to see the odd of the camera inside dji go on a cam op rc. From there I have full gimbal control trough the rc, I see the framing via srw60g and camera osd and use the air commander to control in camera settings.

It’s awesome bc it’s here today and works now. I’m sure the inspire 3 will render this useless.

I actually sold my canon 5dsr bc the djigo app blackouts with canons after each photo for about 3-5 seconds. The shutter release was the only canon option I found.

I use it for photography so I put the drone in place and the Sony a7r3, SRW-60g, a second controller allows me to see the odd of the camera inside dji go on a cam op rc. From there I have full gimbal control trough the rc, I see the framing via srw60g and camera osd and use the air commander to control in camera settings.
Catching up with ya in visual... so using the srw60g allows signal to be through lightbridge and thus through DJI-go app. Based on that config, wouldn’t that work with the primary RC display too as the FPV & Camera op; being there is only 1 camera view? You’re getting all video signals & OSD of Camera through DJI-go integration and Air Comander control only used for the camera controls... correct?

It’s awesome bc it’s here today and works now. I’m sure the inspire 3 will render this useless.
I’m adopting my Grandfather’s attitude... why buy new if the “tool” you’re using still meets all your needs. Sure a shinny new tractor is pretty ‘till the first mud then it’s just a tool. In a sort, the I1v2 continues with such great usage & support because it meets the needs of so many. I’m hopefull the M600 & M210 gain a lot of 3rd party support and remain work horses for some time, long after I3, M700, etc.

I keep the fpv pilot cam on the main controller so I can keep roll on sticks on cam op. Roll always falls off with the MX.

I keep the fpv pilot cam on the main controller so I can keep roll on sticks on cam op. Roll always falls off with the MX.
Ahhhh, you’re running a pilot fpv. Which one did you go with, was it a complete kit to rig up with M600? The DSLRPro unit or other. I’m new to M600 and haven’t purchased a fpv cam yet.

I’m using s lumenier but I’m upgrading to the dji he fpv with occusync air unit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips