SAMPLE images and videos

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and those sample images. Yes very underwhelming photos from a unit marketed with the specs the X7 has. I think that's really all DJI cares about, just maxing out the image quality specs - on paper it looks good but they really don't have a clue as to how to make use of the glass and sensor most effectively.

I am still a big fan of our X5R so I'll continue to use that and not lose much sleep over getting into an I2 w/ X7 camera. For all the sensor and lens advancements the image really should be that much better.

Glad I could help. Yes, I'm terribly disappointed (to the tune of $4K). And here's the salt DJI rubbed into this wound. Not only is the X7 of no use to me because it is way too soft, the whole system is no so unstable as to be totally useless for shooting stills of moving objects. The latest firmware produces so many video breakups and the X7 has so much lag that you simply can't see what you are doing. Just complete trash. Now my X7 literally sits in a junk box collecting dust, never to be used again.

I'm pretty sure the shot of the train is a sample from the X5S, not the X7. I saw sample images from the X5S of the same train in the same setting.... Check the resolution of the file to be sure.

What are the specs on the mini sd card you are using? We found we achieved much better results with a uch 3 (u3) transfer rate sd card.

I noticed the samples people are providing are at lower apertures like f4. I can't say where the sharpest setting will be on these smaller lenses, but on SLR sized glass most lenses are their sharpest somewhere between F5.6 and F8. Can someone provide sample raws at all major F stops to see if this helps with the softness problems that seem to plague the X7? Thanks!

I do not agree that high end DSLR glass is sharpest around F5,6 -F8 these days (thats an old 35mm film rumour). Most tests indicate about 1-2 stops over widest aperture.
Most of my high end DSLR glass is sharpest around 2,8-F4 but I do own a lot of f1,4 glass.
Since you more or less always shot on infinity with a drone corner sharpens is mush more forgiving at those focal lengths DJI provide. I would assume the best aperture for X7 glass is around f2,8-f4 or sometimes up to f5,6 especially on the 35mm & 50mm if your close to your subjects.

This is not accurate, and I am afraid that your assumptions are based on mis-information.

I have projected many different lenses, which is really the only technically accurate way to measure the performance of any lens. Even Arri/Zeiss Master Prime lenses, which at $30k per lens are about as good optically as can be made, exhibit slight loss of sharpness and very slight aberration when wide open at t/1.2, and are not at their sharpest edge to edge until around t/4. When we project lenses, we expect to see that, and it is technically measurable in just about all lenses. The difference that separates the finest optics is the performance degradation chart from wide open / least sharp, to sharpest as the lens iris closes is only slightly curved.

Normal DSLR lenses in the $1k - $2k range will definitely exhibit measurable performance improvements as the iris closes down for at least 2-3 stops or more., particularly in edge to edge measurements.

OK, its possible that you are right. You most likely weight in extreme border in this test then?

It sounds like your measurements differ a bit from photozone.de then. Their measurements seems very accurate with my own experience.
Most of the their high end lenses are optically best at 1-2 stops not counting extreme boarder.

When I shoot still life for large billboards etc I tend to get best results around F4 on f1,4 glass. I do agree I get better corner sharpness at f8 but It's very rarly corner sharpens matters in a composition unless your a pixel peeper

From My Inspire 1 and regular X5 I have never seen improvements at F8 so far. I will continue shooting around F4 until I have a client that complains...

I don't shoot Otus but almost equally good lenses acording to many tests.

kind regards // Alex

Anyone noticing ramped up noise reduction in the jpgs.. I dont use them but wondering if this is a cause to the softness.. I received mine today and can say not a very happy customer.. the 16mm lens is soft out of the box and needs a lot of post sharpening. Pretty much the x5s but a slightly larger resolution. lot of money for those extra pixels... I have noticed the raw dngs hold up pretty well to post processing, the dynamic range has made a big difference in pulling back the sky and sharpening seems to be better in post now...I can see how this is a big improvement for film but for stills and sharpness not much
I will stick with the x7 as its a step up... just an expensive one.

When I get back home mid-week next, I will shoot a resolution chart for all four lenses, and at reference f/stops. I’d be happy to publish my results here
That would be great! thanks so much!

Which lenses have you noticed sharpest results between F2.8-F4? I have done proper tests on 3 or 4 of my lenses but not all of them, It's about time I did.
I'm shooting with a Canon 5DSR, which is still the best camera out for sharpness tests. The new Sigma 14mm Art is definitely sharpest at 5.6(amazing lens), my canon 85mm F1.2 seems sharpest at F5.6-8. I do consider corner and center sharpness in my tests.

Reactions: Paul Nordin

Hi!
I think about the Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/1.4E ED, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM DG ART just as an example.
If you start looking at the MTF optics for X5s etc many of the M.Zuiko light sensitive lenses are already performing best before f2,8.

kind regards // Alex

Not in low light with the current available lenses.