Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

SAMPLE images and videos

Interesting that Sigma made their 30mm. I know the Sigma Art lenses can be very good, but they are probably far more heavier than the I2/X7 can handle. I have their 35mm FF f/1.4 Art and it is heavy! The DJI one must be a copy of their faster 30mm f/1.4 but trimmed down in diameter and they probably gave up the heavier glass as well which might be part of the sharpness loss. Wonder if Sigma made the entire X7 lens series?[/QU
Nope. You're seeing the real deal. But here's what may have you puzzled. The X7 is only 24MP if you shoot 3:2. Now as best I and a friend can tell, there is a bug (anyone listening?) in 3:2 stills with shutter speeds 1/1000 and under, in that you get a nasty blown-out horizontal stripe across the bottom of the image. And given my subject, I don't find 3:2 to be all that useful, so I shoot 4:3, just like on the X5S. And at 4:3, you only get 20MP. And you can also shoot 16:9 (like on the X5S), and that will give you even fewer MP, although I haven't shot at that aspect because I don't find it useful for my work.

And as to the lenses being made by Sigma, that's mere speculation on my part, supported by the data embedded in the dng (you can see it in Lightroom if you look hard enough at the meta-data). And I like Sigma, I really do. I really wish I knew who made the sensor though. Because I'm sure the X7 isn't the only camera where it is used. And if we knew where else it was used, we could figure out what this thing should be capable of.

Oh, and one other piece of good news, that being that the sensor alignment, at least on my copy of the X7, seems to be okay, unlike the situation on my first X5S (corrected thanks to Casey's very informative post).
It sounds like your camera isn't ok if you are getting a white stripe when using the full read of the sensor.. what lens are you using?

Nope. You're seeing the real deal. But here's what may have you puzzled. The X7 is only 24MP if you shoot 3:2. Now as best I and a friend can tell, there is a bug (anyone listening?) in 3:2 stills with shutter speeds 1/1000 and under, in that you get a nasty blown-out horizontal stripe across the bottom of the image. And given my subject, I don't find 3:2 to be all that useful, so I shoot 4:3, just like on the X5S. And at 4:3, you only get 20MP. And you can also shoot 16:9 (like on the X5S), and that will give you even fewer MP, although I haven't shot at that aspect because I don't find it useful for my work.

And as to the lenses being made by Sigma, that's mere speculation on my part, supported by the data embedded in the dng (you can see it in Lightroom if you look hard enough at the meta-data). And I like Sigma, I really do. I really wish I knew who made the sensor though. Because I'm sure the X7 isn't the only camera where it is used. And if we knew where else it was used, we could figure out what this thing should be capable of.

Oh, and one other piece of good news, that being that the sensor alignment, at least on my copy of the X7, seems to be okay, unlike the situation on my first X5S (corrected thanks to Casey's very informative post).

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and those sample images. Yes very underwhelming photos from a unit marketed with the specs the X7 has. I think that's really all DJI cares about, just maxing out the image quality specs - on paper it looks good but they really don't have a clue as to how to make use of the glass and sensor most effectively.

I am still a big fan of our X5R so I'll continue to use that and not lose much sleep over getting into an I2 w/ X7 camera. For all the sensor and lens advancements the image really should be that much better.

Glad I could help. Yes, I'm terribly disappointed (to the tune of $4K). And here's the salt DJI rubbed into this wound. Not only is the X7 of no use to me because it is way too soft, the whole system is no so unstable as to be totally useless for shooting stills of moving objects. The latest firmware produces so many video breakups and the X7 has so much lag that you simply can't see what you are doing. Just complete trash. Now my X7 literally sits in a junk box collecting dust, never to be used again.

I would love to see the samples too, I have one on order but have around a week before I can cancel. the dng of the train looks very soft.
would love to see a 16mm shot.
The great thing about the x5s is that we can still use great lenses that are reasonably priced, we have to buy these lenses in the dark as no one has written a review on them yet.
The x5s has a reasonable image quality, looks like a the full 5.3k res still looks like a 4k image blown up at 100% I was hoping this would be fixed with the x7 but not likely.
I'm pretty sure the shot of the train is a sample from the X5S, not the X7. I saw sample images from the X5S of the same train in the same setting.... Check the resolution of the file to be sure.

I'll bite. Since I'm traveling, I don't have the set of test images I shot immediately upon receiving the camera yesterday, but I do have a couple of grab shots I took enroute to my destination yesterday afternoon. Kindly note that these do NOT represent what I consider to be 'good' (in any sense) photos, but I think they are technically correct in terms of showing what the X7 + 35/2.8 can (or cannot) do.
If I have time during breaks in family obligations, I'll try to shoot some test shots later today that are similar to the ones I shot yesterday, which can be used to examine lens sharpness across the entire focal plane.
Perhaps some of you saw my comments at RCG regarding initial impressions (and note that RCG is mostly a bunch of know-it-alls and shills, so I behave accordingly over there). Note that I do NOT shoot video, ever. I honestly care nothing about video, nor do I really care at all about RC flying, etc.: my only care is still photography and the I2 is merely one (of many) way(s) to get a camera where I want it. So my comments are not valid for videographers. But for stills, I think the X5S is a better camera than the X7 (with the caveat that the X7 will outperform the X5S in low light, obviously).
You can look at these images and see that they are not sharp. This is NOT due to focus error, but is instead (as best I can tell) due to the 35/2.8 being a not-very-good lens, which of course is very disappointing for a $1200 lens. You can buy an absolutely stellar 50mm DSLR lens for much less than this, but of course such a lens won't fit on an X7. Also note that the corners are simply dreadful. Obviously this lens was meant for 16:9 and not 4:3. I cannot speak to the other three lenses since I do not own those, but I would not be surprised if they suffer the same issues. Being cynical, I might suggest that maybe the Chinese couldn't find a good Japanese lens design to steal, but I wouldn't want to be a cynic, now would I? And the Olympus 25/1.8 I use on my X5S is far from a great lens either, but it is certainly better than the DJI 35/2.8 for the X7, and I have (at home) the shots to prove that.
DJI_0001.DNG
DJI_0002.DNG

What are the specs on the mini sd card you are using? We found we achieved much better results with a uch 3 (u3) transfer rate sd card.

I noticed the samples people are providing are at lower apertures like f4. I can't say where the sharpest setting will be on these smaller lenses, but on SLR sized glass most lenses are their sharpest somewhere between F5.6 and F8. Can someone provide sample raws at all major F stops to see if this helps with the softness problems that seem to plague the X7? Thanks!

I noticed the samples people are providing are at lower apertures like f4. I can't say where the sharpest setting will be on these smaller lenses, but on SLR sized glass most lenses are their sharpest somewhere between F5.6 and F8. Can someone provide sample raws at all major F stops to see if this helps with the softness problems that seem to plague the X7? Thanks!

I do not agree that high end DSLR glass is sharpest around F5,6 -F8 these days (thats an old 35mm film rumour). Most tests indicate about 1-2 stops over widest aperture.
Most of my high end DSLR glass is sharpest around 2,8-F4 but I do own a lot of f1,4 glass.
Since you more or less always shot on infinity with a drone corner sharpens is mush more forgiving at those focal lengths DJI provide. I would assume the best aperture for X7 glass is around f2,8-f4 or sometimes up to f5,6 especially on the 35mm & 50mm if your close to your subjects.

I do not agree that high end DSLR glass is sharpest around F5,6 -F8 these days (thats an old 35mm film rumour). Most tests indicate about 1-2 stops over widest aperture.
Most of my high end DSLR glass is sharpest around 2,8-F4 but I do own a lot of f1,4 glass.

This is not accurate, and I am afraid that your assumptions are based on mis-information.

I have projected many different lenses, which is really the only technically accurate way to measure the performance of any lens. Even Arri/Zeiss Master Prime lenses, which at $30k per lens are about as good optically as can be made, exhibit slight loss of sharpness and very slight aberration when wide open at t/1.2, and are not at their sharpest edge to edge until around t/4. When we project lenses, we expect to see that, and it is technically measurable in just about all lenses. The difference that separates the finest optics is the performance degradation chart from wide open / least sharp, to sharpest as the lens iris closes is only slightly curved.

Normal DSLR lenses in the $1k - $2k range will definitely exhibit measurable performance improvements as the iris closes down for at least 2-3 stops or more., particularly in edge to edge measurements.

This is not accurate, and I am afraid that your assumptions are based on mis-information.

I have projected many different lenses, which is really the only technically accurate way to measure the performance of any lens. Even Arri/Zeiss Master Prime lenses, which at $30k per lens are about as good optically as can be made, exhibit slight loss of sharpness and very slight aberration when wide open at t/1.2, and are not at their sharpest edge to edge until around t/4. When we project lenses, we expect to see that, and it is technically measurable in just about all lenses. The difference that separates the finest optics is the performance degradation chart from wide open / least sharp, to sharpest as the lens iris closes is only slightly curved.

Normal DSLR lenses in the $1k - $2k range will definitely exhibit measurable performance improvements as the iris closes down for at least 2-3 stops or more., particularly in edge to edge measurements.

OK, its possible that you are right. You most likely weight in extreme border in this test then?

It sounds like your measurements differ a bit from photozone.de then. Their measurements seems very accurate with my own experience.
Most of the their high end lenses are optically best at 1-2 stops not counting extreme boarder.

When I shoot still life for large billboards etc I tend to get best results around F4 on f1,4 glass. I do agree I get better corner sharpness at f8 but It's very rarly corner sharpens matters in a composition unless your a pixel peeper :D

From My Inspire 1 and regular X5 I have never seen improvements at F8 so far. I will continue shooting around F4 until I have a client that complains...

I don't shoot Otus but almost equally good lenses acording to many tests.

kind regards // Alex

Anyone noticing ramped up noise reduction in the jpgs.. I dont use them but wondering if this is a cause to the softness.. I received mine today and can say not a very happy customer.. the 16mm lens is soft out of the box and needs a lot of post sharpening. Pretty much the x5s but a slightly larger resolution. lot of money for those extra pixels... I have noticed the raw dngs hold up pretty well to post processing, the dynamic range has made a big difference in pulling back the sky and sharpening seems to be better in post now...I can see how this is a big improvement for film but for stills and sharpness not much
I will stick with the x7 as its a step up... just an expensive one.

Since you more or less always shot on infinity with a drone corner sharpens is mush more forgiving at those focal lengths DJI provide. I would assume the best aperture for X7 glass is around f2,8-f4 or sometimes up to f5,6 especially on the 35mm & 50mm if your close to your subjects.
Which lenses have you noticed sharpest results between F2.8-F4? I have done proper tests on 3 or 4 of my lenses but not all of them, It's about time I did.
I'm shooting with a Canon 5DSR, which is still the best camera out for sharpness tests. The new Sigma 14mm Art is definitely sharpest at 5.6(amazing lens), my canon 85mm F1.2 seems sharpest at F5.6-8. I do consider corner and center sharpness in my tests.

Reactions: Paul Nordin
Which lenses have you noticed sharpest results between F2.8-F4? I have done proper tests on 3 or 4 of my lenses but not all of them, It's about time I did.
I'm shooting with a Canon 5DSR, which is still the best camera out for sharpness tests. The new Sigma 14mm Art is definitely sharpest at 5.6(amazing lens), my canon 85mm F1.2 seems sharpest at F5.6-8. I do consider corner and center sharpness in my tests.

Hi!
I think about the Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/1.4E ED, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM DG ART just as an example.
If you start looking at the MTF optics for X5s etc many of the M.Zuiko light sensitive lenses are already performing best before f2,8.

kind regards // Alex

That view is very hobbiest based view, and if you fly for fun, then everything you say makes a lot of sense. But, if you are a pro and fly for dough, you have to have the gear that clients want to pay for, and in the commercial and film business, when budgets cant reach to the full-boat heavy-lift bird with an Alexa or Red, then the X7 is going to be asked for. It is a superior device to the X5, and the quality difference is VERY obvious to many - myself included.
Not in low light with the current available lenses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips