Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Shooting through Glass with a drone

Reaction score
We recently filmed a distillery during the day at around 12 pm. I had read up about eliminating reflections off the glass and come to the conclusion that using a circular polarizer would be the best option (Generally because many other options are simply not achievable with a drone). While on sight I was setting my polarizer when I realized that while I was shifting the cp, the reflection on the glass simply did not change. It remained as prominent as ever, however, I could see it make a difference in the water.

Does anyone have any experience and/or advice???

Thanks in advance.

If you are at a 0° angle to the glass you will most likely not see a change in reflection no matter where the CP is rotated. Typically depending on where the light is coming from a 30° to 40° angle would be the best to see a reduction in reflection.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
About a year ago a client wanted photos of precious dolls with fine hand work crochet done by her mother years ago. Unfortunately they were on display behind glass. I tried every thing I could think of including different angles but the glare and reflections were too much to get a decent photo. Because of the over head lights in the building, display lights in the case and sunlight from several windows, none of my photos were what I wanted. I came back at night, with a key to the building and found out that I could control the lights and was able to get some nice photos. If I remember right it was a flash bounced off the ceiling that worked the best with all other lights turned off.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
If I may say, basic photography, it’s all about the light. The polarizer will help but what will make a huge difference is to shoot late in the day with the lights on inside. Expose for the inside light. Ideally, if you can squeeze in shooting at civil twilight end (just legal for daylight flying, about 30 mins after sunset) you’ll get a mind blowing image, just make sure you’ve cleared the area in daylight first because u won’t see wires etc

Regarding the polarizer, all it does is block light in one direction, reflections off a window are in many directions. For the water, the light is coming towards you and bouncing of the water like a tennis ball bouncing off the ground, ie it’s mainly come at u in one direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah