Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stable, affordable and AVAILABLE stand?

I ordered my Osmo and accessories back in October from B&H and am still waiting for the extension stick and car mount. The benefit of 3D printing for me is that made it almost instantly available for me...... I hate waiting. :)

I ordered my handle on 12/31 from DJI and got it 4 days later

"Grand Stand" is simply an affordable option. It fits my needs which are a simple to insert and remove yet stable stand that doesn't require configuring the rosette and that's affordable. It may not be for everyone as it doesn't attach to a tripod at this time (though I'm exploring that future option). It also doesn't telescope like the extension arm does though it can be placed on top of existing objects (walls, cars, cabinets, bar stools, skateboards etc.) I truly appreciate everyones input and feedback. Time to pack my bags as I'm heading to Cancun for a week of "testing" (sic). Kudos to SkyGearSolutions.com for making this available to those who are interested (shipping....upon my return from testing).

Reactions: frasmac
I just received mine (thanks for the quick service) and have to say it does exactly what I wanted it for. Its especially nice around the production studio where I can grab the Osmo, change things, etc., then just set it back down on a desk, etc. Just did not like laying the Osmo down on its side, being concerned about any pressure on the gimbals. As David said, this is inexpensive, very handy and does what a lot of us need for daily use. Haven't tried it in the field yet, but sure it will do the job. Not worried about size since my Osmo "case" is a large pro vid cam backpack/bag needed for lights, shotgun, phantom power unit, wireless mics, cables, spare batteries, chargers, Zoom unit, slate, etc. Adding this small stand is no real issue.

DAVID: NEW PRODUCT REQUEST -- Maybe you could do a simple Osmo battery end-cap. I recently received a couple spares but nothing included to cap the contacts other than the rather large boxes they came in. A very simple 3-D end cap would do the trick for storage in a cam bag.

DAVID: NEW PRODUCT REQUEST -- Maybe you could do a simple Osmo battery end-cap. I recently received a couple spares but nothing included to cap the contacts other than the rather large boxes they came in. A very simple 3-D end cap would do the trick for storage in a cam bag.
I'm busy catching up after being gone last week but I'll give it some serious thought. ;-) -David

Got my "Grand Stand" yesterday and what a grand stand it really is!!!! - So simple but very effective and excellent quality.
I personally have little need for a conventional tripod - I can nearly always find something at the right height to put the OSMO on and this stand will ensure that the Osmo won't fall over and is kept stable when shooting (particularly timelapses and distant selfies)
I've always been reluctant to lye the Osmo down when not using it so this stand will also serve as a useful means of storing the Osmo in an upright, easy to get at position. (ie rather than putting it away in it's case every time.
For those wanting to have the flexibility of having the option to attach it to a conventional tripod I'm sure version 2 from David could easily include a nut in the middle of the base to attach it to the screw on a tripod.
An excellent "invention" David - you should work for DJI development!!!
Thanks again heaps.

Reactions: davidbarwin
BattCaps for the DJI OSMO batteries in matching colors for the "Grand Stand"? Positive lock via the indents on the battery yet easily pops off from the side (see little arrow) like a pill bottle top. How many batteries does a typical OSMO owner/operative have? Thinking of including them with the purchase of a Grand Stand (and I'll send them to those who have already purchased). Thoughts?

BattCaps1.JPG

BattCaps2.JPG

Reactions: Ascender
I ordered my Osmo and accessories back in October from B&H and am still waiting for the extension stick and car mount. The benefit of 3D printing for me is that made it almost instantly available for me...... I hate waiting. :)
Hey David, got the Grand Stand and it is just that, Grand. Rock solid and small enough to fit in a Pelican 1400 case with all the accessories I need (for now:) For me, I'm more than happy to take a pass on a separate tripod mount and arm. The GS is a no nonsense, compact stand that takes no time to set and strike which means I can move a lot faster between shots.

Going to be headed north this weekend for some hard water sailing (iceboating) and will pack an Inspire and the OSMO case with your stand. Will be posting results soon but I'm psyched to be so well equipped with such simple baggage to deal with.

Good on you David!
OSMO Case 1.jpgOSMO Case 2.jpg

Hey David, got the Grand Stand and it is just that, Grand. Rock solid and small enough to fit in a Pelican 1400 case with all the accessories I need (for now:) For me, I'm more than happy to take a pass on a separate tripod mount and arm. The GS is a no nonsense, compact stand that takes no time to set and strike which means I can move a lot faster between shots.

Going to be headed north this weekend for some hard water sailing (iceboating) and will pack an Inspire and the OSMO case with your stand. Will be posting results soon but I'm psyched to be so well equipped with such simple baggage to deal with.

Good on you David!
View attachment 5845View attachment 5846
Great looking case and setup jon b. Happy shooting and let me know how it goes. :)

The more accessories you add to your OSMO (like decent audio....) the less likely you are to want to set it on it's side....then add some bad weather and laying it down would simply be foolish.

Snow1.JPG

Snow2.JPG

Snow3.JPG

Snow4.JPG

Reactions: jon b
DJI now has a stand for the Osmo. It doesn't look as stable as the 3D printed options, but it looks like it might be able to be used with the tripod.

Anybody that has a cheaper solution for a car mount, maybe attach suction cups under one of these stands somehow, would that work?
Anybody that has done their own car mount / stand?

The DJI car mount cost 79 Euro´s (89 USD) and it seems it is not even available yet for some time?

Alastair, I do love the creative outlet (and instant gratification) of 3D printing. So fast (relative) and easy to design, output, test and redesign. I've been through no less than a dozen iterations refining the "Grand Stand" to meet my OSMO needs. You can find the DJI OSMO Grand Stand along with the Inspire OEM case replacement handle anchors, heavy duty handle and personalized badges on eBay if you're interested.

GrandStandRevs.jpg
Hey David, in the picture here, looks like you have the part of the stand that grabs the handle without a base... Hmmm Thinking I can use that to connect the stand to lengths of tubing. Have you thought about that? Love to get a couple to play with the idea. I jury rigged your grand stand to do the same but it would be great to do it right (without the Gaff Tape:)

Hey David, in the picture here, looks like you have the part of the stand that grabs the handle without a base... Hmmm Thinking I can use that to connect the stand to lengths of tubing. Have you thought about that? Love to get a couple to play with the idea. I jury rigged your grand stand to do the same but it would be great to do it right (without the Gaff Tape:)

Interesting idea! You looking to get higher than your standard tripod?

I've been too busy to post much but here's the latest addition to the "Grand Stand".......a "quick-release" tripod mount (1/4-20 threaded). The "Grand Stand" slides forward under the tabs and snaps down in back for a very quick and stable connection.

AdaptA.jpg

Adapt1.jpg

Adapt2.jpg

Adapt3.JPG

Reactions: jon b

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide