Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Stock to FPVLR to DBS antenna mod comparison.

Reaction score
Unmodified DJI I attained about 8600 ft
FPVLR with amps I attained a little more than 15000 ft
FPVLR without amps I attained about 12000 ft
DBS without amps I attained a about 10000

I noticed the DBS was more sensitive to antenna direction, but not sensitive enough to be a problem. Also the DBS signal drop off was more linear, with a gradual reduction in bars. The FPVLR system seemed to have all bars and then rapidly, little to no signal.

I plan to use the FPVLR since I've already bought it. I think both kits are of a high quality, and are an excellent value. BTW, my expectation is not to fly out at these ranges, but to have a better/more reliable signal at normal ranges. I'm just doing the distance thing to draw a comparison.

Last edited:
Oh, OK, I think I let you do that one. :)
i will !! i already did the installation and i have a spot to test it on behind trees and some ruins. i will get back.

before the dbsmod behind the trees it was unusable the lag not he video was beyond 2/3 seconds, i really hope to get some better results with this. it will allow me to fly lower.

Unmodified DJI I attained about 8600 ft
FPVLR with amps I attained a little more than 15000 ft
FPVLR without amps I attained about 12000 ft
DBS without amps I attained a about 10000

I noticed the DBS was more sensitive to antenna direction, but not sensitive enough to be a problem. Also the DBS signal drop off was more linear, with a gradual reduction in bars. The FPVLR system seemed to have all bars and then rapidly, little to no signal.

I plan to use the FPVLR since I've already bought it. I think both kits are of a high quality, and are an excellent value. BTW, my expectation is not to fly out at these ranges, but to have a better/more reliable signal at normal ranges. I'm just doing the distance thing to draw a comparison.

Frank508...could I ask you to include one more antenna type to test in this review? Lately, there have been several postings on the handmade windsurfer antennae attachments for the Inspire / P3 RC, here is a link to one of the many instructionals incase you don't haven't seen it -
The information I've seen on them tends to confirm that these wavesurfer add-ons increase range but these reviews only compared them to the stock unmodified antennae. Your inclusion of these would be the first comparative real world review that the forum could reference.

Thanks
KnightOwl

I can't really do that now without opening my transmitter up again and reconnecting the stock antennas, and then doing it all again to get back to where I am now.

I suggest you do a distance test in your environment with and without the fixtures you mention and then compare the % changes.

FPVLR with amps I attained a little more than 15000 ft, a 74% increase
FPVLR without amps I attained about 12000 ft, a 39% increase
DBS without amps I attained a about 10000 ft, a 16% increase

So your mod equipped range divided by your stock range would give you the number to compare.

I don't think the absolute numbers will apply in different circumstances as well as the % changes will. So that is a better number anyway.

Surprising that you got 'only' 10000 ft with the DBS mods. On one of the YouTube videos it shows a distance of 4 miles with the DBS mod (on a Phantom in the video, not sure if that makes a difference)?

Surprising that you got 'only' 10000 ft with the DBS mods. On one of the YouTube videos it shows a distance of 4 miles with the DBS mod (on a Phantom in the video, not sure if that makes a difference)?

That probably was in an unobstructed area. ..
10000 feet in the city is acceptable. .
I've done 19000 with my fpvlr antennas in favorable conditions, but in unobstructed areas much less.. like 5000 to 6000..
so it depends a lot on where you fly..

Last edited:
Makes sense. I didn't realize Frank508 did his comparison in a more urban environment. Don't get me wrong, 10000 feet is more than enough for how I am flying.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I can't really do that now without opening my transmitter up again and reconnecting the stock antennas, and then doing it all again to get back to where I am now.

I suggest you do a distance test in your environment with and without the fixtures you mention and then compare the % changes.

FPVLR with amps I attained a little more than 15000 ft, a 74% increase
FPVLR without amps I attained about 12000 ft, a 39% increase
DBS without amps I attained a about 10000 ft, a 16% increase

So your mod equipped range divided by your stock range would give you the number to compare.

I don't think the absolute numbers will apply in different circumstances as well as the % changes will. So that is a better number anyway.

Two questions:

1) What's the cost (including installation) of the FPVLR vs DBS Mods antennas (which can be used to calculate value/% distance increase), and

2) Has anyone tested the signal "spread" of the FPVLR antennas? The DBS Mods antennas seem to have a very wide signal spread range (up to 90 degrees?)

This will help identify the best value for the money I think, depending on your goals.

Reactions: sirnikolas
The DBS mod, including installation (by DBS) is $209,-. The FPVLR advanced kit without installation is $314,- and installation by them is $199,- (so $513 including installation by FPVLR). Their basic antenna kit is $174,- which brings the price including installation to $373,- for the basic antenna kit (assuming they offer installation for their basic kit as the installation service on their website is specifically mentioned for the advanced kit)

I have also done a comparison of all 4 varitations. Stock, FPVLR, FPVLR with Amps, DBS Mods and DBS Mods with Amps. I have only tested in my backyard with a fair amount of obstruction using almost an identical flight plan. My results have been:

(Time of day, signal interference, slight variations in flight path all contribute to max ranges)

Stock -> 3000-5000 Feet
FPVLR -> 4000-6000 Feet
FPVLR with Amps -> 8000-13000 feet
DBS Mod without Amps -> 9000 - 12000
DBS Mod on Amps -> 9000 - 13000 (Widest FOV and most penetration. Can fly all over neighborhood without having to point my remote)

Like Turbo mentioned, flight path and obstruction plays a huge part in reaching maximum range. The 5 Mile DBS video is on flat land with nothing to block the signal. I fly in open fields but have some houses in front of me that eventually block the range when I get close to 3 miles) This is because the signal from the inspire points down in an angle, so to overcome that restriction, i would need to fly at an illegal height. I am more than happy hitting 2+ miles flying from anywhere from within my back yard. I plan to do some additional testing on open land with less or no obstruction.

To conclude, my initial observation is that the DBS without amps is as good if not better than the FPVLR with amps but at half the cost.

Last edited:
I have also done a comparison of all 4 varitations. Stock, FPVLR, FPVLR with Amps, DBS Mods and DBS Mods with Amps. I have only tested in my backyard with a fair amount of obstruction using almost an identical flight plan. My results have been:

(Time of day, signal interference, slight variations in flight path all contribute to max ranges)

Stock -> 3000-5000 Feet
FPVLR -> 4000-6000 Feet
DBS Mod on Amps -> 9000 - 13000 (Widest FOV and most penetration. Can fly all over neighborhood without having to point my remote)

Like Turbo mentioned, flight path and obstruction plays a huge part in reaching maximum range. The 5 Mile DBS video is on flat land with nothing to block the signal. I fly in open fields but have some houses in front of me that eventually block the range when I get close to 3 miles) This is because the signal from the inspire points down in an angle, so to overcome that restriction, i would need to fly at an illegal height. I am more than happy hitting 2+ miles flying from anywhere from within my back yard. I plan to do some additional testing on open land less obstruction.

To conclude, my initial observation is that the DBS without amps is as good if not better than the FPVLR with amps but at half the cost.

Great summary.

Stock -> 3000-5000 Feet
FPVLR -> 4000-6000 Feet

Like Turbo mentioned, flight path and obstruction plays a huge part in reaching maximum range. The 5 Mile DBS video is on flat land with nothing to block the signal. I fly in open fields but have some houses in front of me that eventually block the range when I get close to 3 miles) This is because the signal from the inspire points down in an angle, so to overcome that restriction, i would need to fly at an illegal height. I am more than happy hitting 2+ miles flying from anywhere from within my back yard. I plan to do some additional testing on open land less obstruction.

hows the dbsmod penetration without amps compared to stock?

DBSMods without amps, still has excellent FOV and penetration. The HD Channel spectrum is the cleanest of all 4 scenarios using DBS without Amps. For example, I was able to fly all the way across my neighborhood, land in my neighbors driveway, and take back off and fly back home with pretty much full control and HD signal. Hope that helps :D

hows the dbsmod penetration without amps compared to stock?

DBSMods without amps, still has excellent FOV and penetration. The HD Channel spectrum is the cleanest of all 4 scenarios using DBS without Amps. For example, I was able to fly all the way across my neighborhood, land in my neighbors driveway, and take back off and fly back home with pretty much full control and HD signal. Hope that helps :D
great thanks for the info. i hope to get some free time this week to test this out.

Two questions:

Has anyone tested the signal "spread" of the FPVLR antennas? The DBS Mods antennas seem to have a very wide signal spread range (up to 90 degrees?)

That is interesting, in my environment (I assume it is the environment,) the FPVLR is much less sensitive to antenna direction than the DBS. They both are kind of sensitive in the vertical plane.

It is very doable to do it yourself after watching the DBS video, so I'm not sure I would use the installation costs. Both providers were super prompt with their shipping. So that minimizes down time.

Luis's interest in penetration is probably a better criterion, but less easily quantified than reading out the feet (or meters) on the iPad.

In any case we are really lucky to have 2 great options, so a great big shout out to both guys and their products! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo