Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tablet is draining power from the remote's battery

Reaction score
hi everyone,
Not sure if this is normal, but my tablet is sucking power out of the remote control to charge/remain fully charged.
This has an effect on the battery life from the inspire's remote. Is there a way around drink g power from the remote???

Thanks
Macphi

Ps: tablet is the nvidia shield

Most battery-powered gadgets today, charged with USB and it is the default.

If you do not want it to charge the battery, there must be some setting on the remote, which allows you to turn off the charging function.
This can be done on a computer, but I do not know how advanced the remote is.
I haven´t get my hands of one yet.:(

You can't turn it off. The Inspire transmitter has a massive battery in it though. Good for hours and hours of flight.

Reactions: Kilrah
Thanks.
Am I right to assume that as soon as the tablet is plugged to the inspire's remote, it tries to maintain its 100% charge level, and therefore immediately drains juice from the remote. Effectively, this means that the tablet is working on external power instead of its own internal battery. Following this logic, it would mean that the entire system is limited by the battery of the remote control, which will be the first non swappable battery to be drained out. Therefore the power consumption of the tablets used is a very important factor.
Is that right?

Thanks.
Am I right to assume that as soon as the tablet is plugged to the inspire's remote, it tries to maintain its 100% charge level, and therefore immediately drains juice from the remote. Effectively, this means that the tablet is working on external power instead of its own internal battery. Following this logic, it would mean that the entire system is limited by the battery of the remote control, which will be the first non swappable battery to be drained out. Therefore the power consumption of the tablets used is a very important factor.
Is that right?

Yes and no. There is a cable that was included in your Inspire that connects a battery to your Tx via the charging port. If you ever run low you can plug into a flight battery. We had a Tx that needed a charge at CES but we were still flying in the cage. Connected up and we continued to fly of the rest of the day and then charged everything up. Worked great.

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
Yes and no. There is a cable that was included in your Inspire that connects a battery to your Tx via the charging port. If you ever run low you can plug into a flight battery. We had a Tx that needed a charge at CES but we were still flying in the cage. Connected up and we continued to fly of the rest of the day and then charged everything up. Worked great.

Ed, would a "data only" USB cable work? Or does it need the +5V power for full functionality?

http://www.yourfinalsystem.com/cable-design-f-a-q/147-how-do-data-only-usb-cables-work

They seem to be hard to find to buy, but you could just remove the +5V pins on a regular cable with needle nose pliers.

Reactions: skillet
It would be great in a future software update to be able to turn on/off the charge function of the usbport of the tx. Anyone knows how to suggest this to DJI?

It would be great in a future software update to be able to turn on/off the charge function of the usbport of the tx. Anyone knows how to suggest this to DJI?

I don't think it's as easy as turning off the "function", as I believe the "function" is built-in by USB nature / protocol. As long as the +5V lead is in the cable, the phone/tablet will inherently use the power as a charging source. As far as I know, there is no way to disable this from a phone or tablet's OS (unless it was jailbroken or rooted, you may be able to disable the USB port altogether, or you could physically disconnect the USB port itself, both of which the data would go along with it).

Unless DJI can somehow disable that +5V lead on their end. But if it's already on, then I suspect they might need it. But on the other hand, they could have just went with the standard USB connection and overlooked the fact that the phones/tablets would use the Tx battery as a charging source.

It's just a matter of whether or not DJI's set up needs the +5V lead from the cable to be fully functional.

Last edited:
in my experience it doesnt seem to draw much power from the remote at all. my samsung galaxy note 4 says its charging when plugged into it but the battery percent on the phone drops while flying. Ive flown for hours on one remote charge and the phone battery percent has never once gotten higher while charging off the remote. Not all usb ports charge at the same rate and id guess dji has it set to draw very little power from the remote battery. Im using the stock cable that came with the inspire. Are any of you seeing your device battery percentage actually increase or maintain 100% while flying? I would guess not based on my experiences, youre likely overthinking the problem where no problem exists.

Reactions: Hercules_One
I don't think it's as easy as turning off the "function", as I believe the "function" is built-in by USB nature / protocol. As long as the +5V lead is in the cable, the phone/tablet will inherently use the power as a charging source. As far as I know, there is no way to disable this from a phone or tablet's OS (unless it was jailbroken or rooted, you may be able to disable the USB port altogether, or you could physically disconnect the USB port itself, both of which the data would go along with it).

Unless DJI can somehow disable that +5V lead on their end. But if it's already on, then I suspect they might need it. But on the other hand, they could have just went with the standard USB connection and overlooked the fact that the phones/tablets would use the Tx battery as a charging source.

It's just a matter of whether or not DJI's set up needs the +5V lead from the cable to be fully functional.
While using Ultimate Flight on android and Autopilot beta on iOS the tablets don't charge at all. Switching back to DJI pilot or Go charging resumes again. So it is switched on by the DJI app and therefore possible to have it not switch on, provided they want to program that.

Would be the opposite, you'd have to ask the tablet manufacturer for a way to disable charging when connected to a "data" connection.

The tablet usually would last much less time than the remote, so using the (much larger) remote battery to charge / try to keep charge level of tablet from falling too fast is perfectly good.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey Kilrah..the post from lake_flyer would seem to indicate that it is DJI issue so who really knows. Second, something no one has mentioned, is that charging the battery in the display will/does cause increase heat in the device and since heat seems to be sometimes linked to app restarts and lag in the video turning off the charge might be a good idea.

hi everyone,
Not sure if this is normal, but my tablet is sucking power out of the remote control to charge/remain fully charged.
This has an effect on the battery life from the inspire's remote. Is there a way around drink g power from the remote???

Thanks
Macphi

Ps: tablet is the nvidia shield
Can I ask what cable do I need to connect the Nvidia Shield to the inspire RC ?

Hey dj...
welcome to inspirepilots.com.
You use the cable that comes with the nvidia shield to charge your battery. .
enjoy your new addiction. ..
turb...

Hi all.
I sometimes get a pop up on my screen that says, mobile device can not be charged due to insufficient battery level.
Any won else see this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth