Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using rooftop TOLA

Reaction score
I have a job involving flying over a superstore, and it has been suggested I use the roof space to take off and land from, Looking at the Google Maps 3D image of the store roof, it looks like it might be metal-clad, anyone tried this?

There is a good chance you will get a compass error, can you get up there before the day of the shoot to test it?

I go through this all the time, I would recommend calibrating the compass if possible before taking off. My trick to this is to elevate the drone and take off from somewhere with some elevation above the roof. You can use your case or think of something else you can possibly use to elevate the drone as much as possible.

I spent this morning taking off from a lightweight aluminium (sorry US readers that is the correct spelling ) camping table. Landing was fine but I did those in ATTI.

Why can't you still take off from the ground? I do this all the time and in case something goes wrong it can land safely. I don't trust go home from roofs!!

I have a job involving flying over a superstore, and it has been suggested I use the roof space to take off and land from, Looking at the Google Maps 3D image of the store roof, it looks like it might be metal-clad, anyone tried this?

There is zero reason to take off from the roof. Go to the back corner of a parking lot, park under a tree and take off from there. Best vantage point and no issues with "access" of metal interference. Good luck!

The client can suggest what he likes.....it is up to YOU as the PIC to determine your take off/landing area and if you deem the roof too much of a risk factor you say "No".

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I've done dozens of commercial properties. Never once have I launched from a roof.

Here's one of my oldies but goodies.

Phantom 1.
Hero 3
DYS 3-axis gimbal
FatShark FPV 5.8Ghz

Zero telemetry data.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member