Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Various Lens for X5R

I use the Olympus 12mm about 70% of the time, and the 25mm about 29% of the time. I have used the 45mm once, I think.

The 12mm and the 25mm will cover just about everything you need to do. They are both high-quality lenses.

Thanks In
I use the Olympus 12mm about 70% of the time, and the 25mm about 29% of the time. I have used the 45mm once, I think.

The 12mm and the 25mm will cover just about everything you need to do. They are both high-quality lenses.
Thanks InterMurph, so you don't use the stock 15mm that came with it? Also, do you usually use an ND filter?

No, I have never used the stock lens.

I usually use a B+W 3-stop ND filter. I also have the PolarPro 3-stop ND filter, and I like that too.

Stock 15mm is underrated IMO, but the 12mm is still the best lens to get for general filming mostly due to its focal length and decent quality.
Buy second hand, and work towards getting 12/25/45.

Don't forget those lenses will have a good resale value for many years, so unlike buying the X5 or X5R, you're not going to lose a crapload of money on them when the next best thing comes along and they have resale value outside of the drone industry.

GH4/5
Black Magic etc.

Reactions: Ftolino
Stock 15mm is underrated IMO, but the 12mm is still the best lens to get for general filming mostly due to its focal length and decent quality.
Buy second hand, and work towards getting 12/25/45.

Don't forget those lenses will have a good resale value for many years, so unlike buying the X5 or X5R, you're not going to lose a crapload of money on them when the next best thing comes along and they have resale value outside of the drone industry.

GH4/5
Black Magic etc.

Great advice, and I already ordered the Olympus 12mm today new! I will look for 25/45 second hand.

Thanks!

I have the 12, 15 (stock) 25 and 45. I have actually found the stock 15 to give the best image, plus it has a lens hood that is useful to keep sun off of the lens if you have to fly towards the sun. The other lenses are dictated by circumstance - 12 when needing wide but are restricted by height or proximity - 25 or 45 to get optically 'closer' than the permitted distance from people, property or vehicles. Currently 30m in Australia, but soon to be reduced to 15m from people if you are licensed and have written permission from a properly briefed subject.

On the subject of NDs. I always use them as I do video and stills. Otherwise I can't get the f4-7 sweet spot at 25 fps 1/50 second for PAL. The 12, 15 and 25 are all the same size, but the 45 is smaller. Either get a separate PL filter set, or simply use a very thin step-up ring to use the larger filters. As the 45 is a telephoto lens, there is no issue with the filter being slightly further forward.

I'd say it totally depends what you are shooting. I use the 25mm lots, its the most cinematic from what I can see. The 12mm is very wide, so anything you shoot on this will look like its from a drone - something I always try and avoid. ND filters are a must though.

The stock lens is fine, good half way between the 12mm and 25mm. Ive got the 45mm which is also a nice lens but only good for a few types of shot. The combo of the 25 and 45 give a really nice look, they cut together very well. For example, if you are shooting a car speeding down a road, the 25 and 45 tracking looks great. I'd then only use the wide to establish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool