Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Weak RC signal issues

Reaction score
Website
www.skyvideoct.com
My Inspire 1 arrived back late Wednesday from the LA repair facility after a LONG visit. That being water over the dam, I’ll get into my latest issue. The DJI repair facility elected to replace my original Inspire that I flew since February. I anticipated some tasks that would be necessary to return to the flight line again with the Inspire 1. I did, while the AC was in LA, purchase a P3P as a backup and plan B.

Knowing that the new AC would require binding to my transmitter (I didn’t send in to repair), I first checked the state of the AC and transmitter for their respective firmware status. I found that I had to get them in sync on the 1.2.16 prior to doing anything. I then did the binding procedure as noted in the manual and had no problems. Next, I upgraded both the AC and the two transmitters to firmware 1.3.0 with no issues.

At this point, I moved to my battery maintenance and had to upgrade 4 bat’s to 1.3.0 and start the process (>4hrs) to cycle the batteries down to <5% and recharge. At this stage, I was fighting a “weak RC transmission signal” but continued until all batteries were complete. Next, I moved to upgrade the Inspire 1 to 1.4.10 firmware leaving the transmitter at 1.3.0 per instructions.

At this point, I have the Inspire 1 on all of the latest firmware, my P3P on all of the latest firmware, and the DJI Go app on latest version. I use the same tablet to fly both ACs.

First test flight of the Inspire 1, I had a persistent weak RC transmission message so I kept it close (<10’) to the transmitter. I removed the failsafe altitude and kept the AC within 10’ of ground after updating the home point. I had to struggle to get the landing gear back down even though I never raised them and the “adaptive landing” setting was off. Signal in and out, so I walked a circle around the AC at 10’ to try and remedy to no avail. I finally lowered the AC to 1.5m to lower to allow me to lower landing gear and land.

After stowing the Inspire 1, I took out the P3P in the same spot with the same tablet and app running and had no issues whatever. I flew it to 1.5km away at 120m alt AHP, again with no issues. Same exact location, same tablet and app with extremely different results.

I opted to go back, recharge everything (RC, tablet, flight batteries, etc) and when done, re-bind the transmitter to the Inspire 1. Subsequent test flight with the SAME results as above, including the after test flight of the P3P. I never had RC transmission issues in the beginning while flying the Inspire 1, but they are prevalent now. I cannot use this AC until this is solved.

I hope I’ve given enough information above to allow for the remedy to my situation. I will wait and read for suggestions to fix this issue.

In closing, I have one thought. The airspace is the easy issue in the future of our flight. The bandwidth and radio spectrum is the huge hurdle that lies ahead.

Reactions: Andrew Woodward
Not sure if this will resolve but did you try to recalibrate the IMU, Camera Gimbal and the Remote Control? If not, then worth a shot. I know they recommend doing these when doing a firmware update with the exception of doing a RC calibration. But might be worth a shot.

Another option is to turn on RC, then Inspire and then open the DJI App on your iPad. Not sure that makes a difference, just seen posts and instructions stating that it's the preferred method.

Thank you Gregg and Monroe for your responses.
Gregg: I re-calibrated IMU, Gimbal. RC is not a good idea until I get a real connection.
Minroe: Thanks for link and I did check the antenna connections per the link.
No Joy

Thank you Gregg and Monroe for your responses.
Gregg: I re-calibrated IMU, Gimbal. RC is not a good idea until I get a real connection.
Minroe: Thanks for link and I did check the antenna connections per the link.
No Joy
If I may chip in. The RC needs to be calibrated without the aircraft powered on. If not you will get a warning.

doesnt sound like rc transmission issues to me, if you were hovering and it lost rc signal it would auto land or return to home, not keep hovering. the rc control signal range should be at least 5 miles.

as to the gear not moving on your command sometimes you have to rapidly move the selector switch 4-5 times in order to trigger it, especially if you just installed newer firmware/go app versions and were trying to use the switch for the first time. next time it should work normally.

Were there any wifi routers near where you fly? it seems the new firmware update adjusted the sensitivity of the signal warning msg being displayed if it detects outside wifi signals, actual signal and flight abilities are likely not even affected in most cases. especially if in a location youve flown previously without issue.

Update: I've tried everything and every suggestion. I finally unbound primary transmitter and tried binding 2nd RC to AC.No problem binding, but still has weak signal error and can't fly for ****. When I test, I keep it close and still having terrible problems after 10.5 weeks in LA.
I'm up against a wall here and very little help from other forums at all.
All firmware up to date, 2 devices with DJI Go ; 1 w/Pilot 1.2all tested with same results. Open field w/ no issues tested w/ P3P identical conditions w/ same tablet and NO issues at all.
Inspire 1 radio is NFG!!!

What is your basis that you have weak signal? The message in the app? Does it stop responding to controls when you fly further away and return to home automatically?

Weak transmission message AND intermittent control at 10ft. Connection goes in and out. I select hover if signal lost so it doesnt go up to RTH altitude before landing.
Also checked antenna connections by pushing in with screwdriver. AC is wtf useless

You can link your i1 rc to your p3p to see if it's the controllers ..
I know you switched your master n slave with the same results. .
Also maybe try reverting to the firmware to the one you were using before the signal loss..
hope you get it sorted out! !
Turbo

Weak transmission message AND intermittent control at 10ft. Connection goes in and out. I select hover if signal lost so it doesnt go up to RTH altitude before landing.
Also checked antenna connections by pushing in with screwdriver. AC is wtf useless

You can link your i1 rc to your p3p to see if it's the controllers ..
I know you switched your master n slave with the same results. .
Also maybe try reverting to the firmware to the one you were using before the signal loss..
hope you get it sorted out! !
Turbo
I will link 2nd rc to P3P next to prove it's not rc. This replacement AC is new and I bootstrapped the firmware up from 1.2.16 to 1.3 to 1.4.10 I had flown more than 100 hrs before sending on 7/2 for repair. I know the Inspire.
Sending it back and waiting for them to figure it out for 10 weeks is not an acceptable option.
I'm suspecting an antenna connection / cable issue.

Update: tested RC controller w/ P3P = full function and reliability. This completes my testing.
I called DJI service and now need to send in their replacement. RUFKM.. another 10 weeks with no compensation for these lost months of flying, let alone the survey work that I can only use the P3P to accomplish. I won't sing my despair to the choir here.
No response whatever from anyone at DJI to my posts on 3 relevant threads/forums.

Last edited:
Hi there - i am jumping across from another thread

Beware remote firmware update.

as it seems no one there shares my frustration or can help answer my issues and now i see you have exactly the same issues as stated above.

Here is the summary of my issues:

I upgraded the RC firmware (v1.7.40) on my Master RC at the weekend and then went to connect with my Slave RC - No JOY. I finally managed to get my SLAVE RC to connect back up again only by Disconnecting the link between MASTER RC and Inspire - syncing my SLAVE RC as the MASTER to the Inspire - then updating the firmware on the SLAVE RC (now my new MASTER) then Disconnecting the updated SLAVE Master from the Inspire and then re syncing my original MASTER RC back to the Inspire and then my original now updated (v1.7.40) SLAVE back as a SLAVE. Now all works fine. However what i find now that with the updated DJI GO App version 3.0.0 - the video link to my inspire is terrible - where as i could fly over 2km out without signal loss i now have issues with weak transmission signal and frequent cut outs even at 5-10m!! So far i have resisted to upgrade the bird and the camera to the latest 1.9.0.00 versions and kept them on version 1.8.1.00+ and 1.8.1.40 respectively. Anyone have any other recommendations or ideas so i can get back to my perfect video signal transmission?

Well after reading through the following posts

1.9.1.30 Firmware for Inspire 1 Series

i took the plunge and have updated straight from v 1.8.1.00+ to v1.9.1.30 for my inspire and camera. I have also updated my batteries. Both my updated Master and Slave RCs connected up no fuss and showed no issues along with my updated DJI Go v3.0.0 on my ipad air and iphone 6+.

Well i am back from 4 test flights and my happiness was short lived. Although the Inspire flew well i kept on getting rolling and lagging images and occasional weak signal transmission before the inevitable lost transmission signal and auto return to home action. I then swapped out my ipad (ipad air running latest mac os 10.2 with DJI Go app version 3 to my Iphone 6+ (mac os 10.2) and thought that did the trick until about 30 secs later and i started to get the same issues with weak and lost video signals again. Anyone any thoughts or advice or recommendations?

DJI customer service folks just got back to me to ask to try on something other than iphone 6+ and Ipad air - does anyone else have issues with these mobile devices or have any advice on better mobile/screens?

My Inspire 1 arrived back late Wednesday from the LA repair facility after a LONG visit. That being water over the dam, I’ll get into my latest issue. The DJI repair facility elected to replace my original Inspire that I flew since February. I anticipated some tasks that would be necessary to return to the flight line again with the Inspire 1. I did, while the AC was in LA, purchase a P3P as a backup and plan B.

Knowing that the new AC would require binding to my transmitter (I didn’t send in to repair), I first checked the state of the AC and transmitter for their respective firmware status. I found that I had to get them in sync on the 1.2.16 prior to doing anything. I then did the binding procedure as noted in the manual and had no problems. Next, I upgraded both the AC and the two transmitters to firmware 1.3.0 with no issues.

At this point, I moved to my battery maintenance and had to upgrade 4 bat’s to 1.3.0 and start the process (>4hrs) to cycle the batteries down to <5% and recharge. At this stage, I was fighting a “weak RC transmission signal” but continued until all batteries were complete. Next, I moved to upgrade the Inspire 1 to 1.4.10 firmware leaving the transmitter at 1.3.0 per instructions.

At this point, I have the Inspire 1 on all of the latest firmware, my P3P on all of the latest firmware, and the DJI Go app on latest version. I use the same tablet to fly both ACs.

First test flight of the Inspire 1, I had a persistent weak RC transmission message so I kept it close (<10’) to the transmitter. I removed the failsafe altitude and kept the AC within 10’ of ground after updating the home point. I had to struggle to get the landing gear back down even though I never raised them and the “adaptive landing” setting was off. Signal in and out, so I walked a circle around the AC at 10’ to try and remedy to no avail. I finally lowered the AC to 1.5m to lower to allow me to lower landing gear and land.

After stowing the Inspire 1, I took out the P3P in the same spot with the same tablet and app running and had no issues whatever. I flew it to 1.5km away at 120m alt AHP, again with no issues. Same exact location, same tablet and app with extremely different results.

I opted to go back, recharge everything (RC, tablet, flight batteries, etc) and when done, re-bind the transmitter to the Inspire 1. Subsequent test flight with the SAME results as above, including the after test flight of the P3P. I never had RC transmission issues in the beginning while flying the Inspire 1, but they are prevalent now. I cannot use this AC until this is solved.

I hope I’ve given enough information above to allow for the remedy to my situation. I will wait and read for suggestions to fix this issue.

In closing, I have one thought. The airspace is the easy issue in the future of our flight. The bandwidth and radio spectrum is the huge hurdle that lies ahead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth