Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What the F**K Happened?

Reaction score
So, as advertised, The Inspire 1 flew straight out of the box. It hovered, it took great video and stills - no weird effects, I landed it away from the take off point and then brought it back on automatic landing. Great, I thought, just what I needed! Next day, the screen I was using told me that I needed to update the OS. OK Fine, I thought, done it before, no problem. BUT! Attempted take off didn't happen, yes the props spun but not enough for lift off, I thought, are the controls reversed somehow? So I gently touched the right control, this resulted in an immediate backflip, it took a chunk out of the deck and broke a prop before I managed to grab it and pull the battery. So, anybody. WHAT THE F**K HAPPENED??? T.

surely you who can not fly, it happens and. they cry at the forum, what F .... Have happened. Pilot error can be called.

Reactions: Misha
So, as advertised, The Inspire 1 flew straight out of the box. It hovered, it took great video and stills - no weird effects, I landed it away from the take off point and then brought it back on automatic landing. Great, I thought, just what I needed! Next day, the screen I was using told me that I needed to update the OS. OK Fine, I thought, done it before, no problem. BUT! Attempted take off didn't happen, yes the props spun but not enough for lift off, I thought, are the controls reversed somehow? So I gently touched the right control, this resulted in an immediate backflip, it took a chunk out of the deck and broke a prop before I managed to grab it and pull the battery. So, anybody. WHAT THE F**K HAPPENED??? T.

That sounds totally crazy. Glad you were not hurt and still have your AC though.

Out of your description it is not possible to say what happen - but trying to move the right stick for take off just because you thought the sticks where reversed was not the smartest thing to do. Probably you would better turn everything off and start a new session.

Reactions: james tulloch
I attached an Inspire Mini Tablet to the controller on the USB connector so that I could run the full live video. Now maybe that is the source of my problem. Does anyone else use the inspire unit?

I would think after not getting full throttle after a fw update you would have recalibrated your transmitter instead of moving another stick.
Your probably lucky it didn't lift off as who knows what the other channels were like.
I always recalibrate everything after a fw update just to be on the safe side.

My guess would be you may have had some props on the wrong motors. That would explain lack of power on liftoff, and the backflip - which is what happens when you apply power to that configuration.
How would the OP put self tightening or QR props on the wrong motors if all he had changed was the FW and the AC was flying fine previously?
More likely a stick calibration error.
Always, ALWAYS do an IMU, Compass AND a stick calibration after every FW update and never take off without checking mod values first.

Reactions: Kilrah and Ibflyen
Sorry guys, this post makes no sense. First off what's an inspire mini tablet the op keeps referring to? I don't see one rational question or coherent thought in any of his 3 posts. I think the ones here tying to help are just setting out food.....if ya know what I mean.
I would also like to see someone "grab it" (an Inspire with the blades spinning) and "pull the battery out" without getting hit by the props.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, this post makes no sense. First off what's an inspire mini tablet the op keeps referring to? I don't see one rational question or coherent thought in any of his 3 posts. I think the ones here tying to help are just setting out food.....if ya know what I mean.
I would also like to see someone "grab it (an Inspire with the blades spinning) and pull the battery out" without getting hit by the props.

I would also like to see someone "grab it (an Inspire with the blades spinning) and pull the battery out" without getting hit by the props.
To be honest, i was thinking the same!

Reactions: ted35 and AmosMoses
Inspire Mini Tablet? Errr no it's a NuVision mini tablet. The props weren't spinning as the contact with the deck had stopped the motors therefore I was able to grab the top of the battery and remove it before any other unpredictable event occurred. Ibflyin, thanks for your advice. As you will all be aware, the unit doesn't come with anything like a full operating manual. I have now downloaded this from the DJI website. Yes, it was a controller calibration issue combined with unfamiliarity with the mini-Tablet. I flew the Quad today for about 20 minutes and now have a better idea of it's performance.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Inspire Mini Tablet? Errr no it's a NuVision mini tablet. The props weren't spinning as the contact with the deck had stopped the motors therefore I was able to grab the top of the battery and remove it before any other unpredictable event occurred. Ibflyin, thanks for your advice. As you will all be aware, the unit doesn't come with anything like a full operating manual. I have now downloaded this from the DJI website. Yes, it was a controller calibration issue combined with unfamiliarity with the mini-Tablet. I flew the Quad today for about 20 minutes and now have a better idea of it's performance.
Excellent! My apologies to you then.
The Inspire isn't an entry level quad and the way dji and the retailers market them is..... well, misleading at best.
I'm fairly new to the Inspire myself but graduated from many of the Phantoms.
There are some good members here that will really go out of their way to help out but try to remember to give as much and as accurate information as ya can.
Glad you were able to get it back in the air!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PorridgeHouse
I'm glad everything is working now. :)
Things could have been much worse had it lifted off!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry