Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What would be the minimum specs for a new computer?

Yt2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My computer runs like a postman delivering the mail when trying to watch my footage. I even turned to down to 1080 and it wont run that. Editing is our of the question.
So what specs would I need to edit 4K video. I don't need the fastest machine, but something capible.
My purchase is in your hands.
Cheers Yt2...

Don't know about min specs but I bought myself an iMac 27" core i5 processor and 32gb of memory. I run premier pro and after effects and it handles 4k beautifully. That said - After effects is a bit slow but I'd expect that anyway.

What type of a machine do you prefer, laptop or desktop and do you want a PC or Mac? The iMac 27's are decent if you prefer Apple. if you want to spend less, you could go the PC route and either build one yourself or buy something that has at least an i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, and a Solid State Drive. I would also get a dedicated graphics video card if you want to decode 4K video. Let me know and I can give you some more detailed specs.

Hey Dreadwing,

I think a desktop is the go and I have always used a Windows machine and have sufficient windows software, so I surpose I should stay with that.
I do realize that mac's are more efficient for graphics and are the industry standard for professionals, but I don't think I will reach that level, but if ever there was a time for change it is now.
Maybe I should stick with what I know. Thanks for your time...

Do you like to build your own pc, or do you like something that is already ready to go out of the box? I personally prefer PC's but also use a mac book pro with bootcamp, that I run almost 100% in Windows 8.1. I can send you the specs if you wish to build or give you some good out of the box options.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" + 4k monitor
Run Mac OS X and Windows seamlesly , best of both worlds
Macbook for on the go, 28 inch 4k display for office/ home editing

That is what I run, but the MBP Retina with a 4K monitor is not cheap ;-) ... But in term of performance, I have not run run into many laptops that can do 2.8 Ghz i7 and 1 TB SSD.

However, for about half the price of a MBP, the OP can get a desktop with even more powerful options.

I have built a couple of my own a few years back, but I have lost touch now with all the latest gear and how it works. As I need it yesterday probably a pre-built would be the go.

Just the specs would be good. Not sure where you are, but I live 1600 km from Perth Australia.
Cheers...

Yt2, I have just ordered this one since my old one is now 8 years old and still on XP. Sigh, it was cutting edge the day I built it, but today, its a fossil. :)

I'll pull out one of my 1TB drives from it and add it to the new one giving it 2TB drives, plus the solid state one.

One thing that has taken over today is renting software. I'm too old to like this. It really bothers me.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 3_21_2015 , 8_53_52 AM.jpg
    Screenshot - 3_21_2015 , 8_53_52 AM.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 9
I have the 27 inch 5k retina iMac
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz)

AMD Radeon R9 M295X graphics processor with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

That is what I run, but the MBP Retina with a 4K monitor is not cheap ;-) ... But in term of performance, I have not run run into many laptops that can do 2.8 Ghz i7 and 1 TB SSD.

However, for about half the price of a MBP, the OP can get a desktop with even more powerful options.

I love the build quality of the MBP Retina and its speed is insane for a laptop, its my perfect choice with a good 60FP 4k monitor via display port 1.2, which the new retinas handle with ease

what year MBP retina?

Here are some specs for a desktop PC:

Motherboard: Intel based 1150 Intel Z97
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz
Ram: 1600MHz DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) or 32GB (4x8GB)
Hard drive 1 (Operating SYstem) : Solid State 128GB or 256GB
Hard drive 2 (Data Storage) : Western Digital Black 1 or 2 TB HDD

These specs would last you for a while ;-)

Reactions: skylabimaging
I even run mine at 90% CPU to keep it running cool and from the fan running high at times.

2 X LG 34UC97, you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry