Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Whoa! Headplay

I emailed Range Video. We will see what they say. Of course I wanted white ones as well! :confused:
I don't have much for patience but it looks like I should probably wait another week before ordering just to be on the safe side.
I could just picture my HP's in limbo as they don't know where to find me! :eek:

Jut ordered mine. The feedback from all you folks was key to making my decision.

Ya, these look dorky as hell. But I am usually alone when I fly with my cinemizers.

Just a thought. Has anyone bought about modding these to add an additional wide angle camera and fixing it to the outside of these? It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth rather than taking the goggles off everytime I want to peek at the world in front of me.

Jut ordered mine. The feedback from all you folks was key to making my decision.

Ya, these look dorky as hell. But I am usually alone when I fly with my cinemizers.

Just a thought. Has anyone bought about modding these to add an additional wide angle camera and fixing it to the outside of these? It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth rather than taking the goggles off everytime I want to peek at the world in front of me.
That's an excellent idea!!
I'm on board.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Oculus has relatively low resolution in comparison, and require a specific image format so you can't just use common video sources. Hyper wide (sometimes too wide) FOV.

Oculus has relatively low resolution in comparison, and require a specific image format so you can't just use common video sources. Hyper wide (sometimes too wide) FOV.
I'm pretty sure they are, hit the order button and says 350.00, but as some suggest above they might be as good as I thought.
Ive been interested in the Oculus Rift since hearing about them several months ago..
I saw the m100 video when they were showing the Oculus ..
It has head tracking so that you can operate the gimble ..pretty cool. .
Also it showed the collision system in action.
Some said this technology was 10 or more years away..
I must admit I'm surprised to see it out four months later...
sorry I guess I'm pumped about the future of dji's products and possibilities. .
turb.....

The Rift's concept is several years old now. I had the first development kit 2 years ago, dreadful resolution, sold it straight away.
I didn't get the current one which is still a "development kit" for developers to test their creations on and not really a "finalized" consumer product, but tested one and IMO it was OK but just. The whole concept needs such powerful hardware to work well that it's currently not really viable - hence not being mainstream yet.

The other problem is that Oculus targeted it 100% towards PC/console gaming with little interest for other uses, and as such requires dedicated supporting software and beefy hardware to run it that makes it pretty much useless for all other "interesting" applications. In the video demo you can see a powerful laptop with a pack of cables is required to run everything - until that can run in embedded hardware like the Inspire remote it won't be practical.
Hopefully it'll get better now that a larger, more open company bought them... but that means more years of delay.

Guidance is a good "first step", but nothing like what "some" said would take 10 years.

Collision avoidance between different aircraft, that may be flying towards each other at 200mph+ and where conflicting paths need to be detected miles in advance so that corrective actions can be taken and airspace coordination can be made safe.

This guidance thing can only sense obstacles maybe 10-20ft away and only when the quad is "flat", so is only useful when you're basically flying the aircraft at a "pace" speed like in the demo. This thing will already be of absolutely no use anymore whenever you're flying "full on" at the typical 40-50mph such a platform can fly at.

So yes it's a first step, that is only valid for a very particular small set of applications - and the technology that is used (which is absolutely nothing new BTW, sonars have been used on multicopters for many years) isn't scalable to what would be needed for airspace coordination.

Reading "collision avoidance" on the marketing bullet list doesn't mean it's a super duper thing capable of anything and that it will avoid an incoming missile. It takes a bit of analysis to understand how it works and what it's actually capable of behind the "hype", and that unfortunately requires a bit more knowledge than what most followers have.

Last edited:
Collision avoidance between different aircraft, that may be flying towards each other at 200mph+ and where conflicting paths need to be detected miles in advance so that corrective actions can be taken and airspace coordination can be made safe.

This guidance thing can only sense obstacles maybe 10-20ft away and only when the quad is "flat", so is only useful when you're basically flying the aircraft at a "pace" speed like in the demo. This thing will be of absolutely no use if you're flying "full on" at the typical 40-50mph such a platform can fly at.

So yes it's a first step, that is only valid for a very particular small set of applications - and the technology that is used (which is absolutely nothing new BTW, sonars have been used on multicopters for many years) isn't scalable to what would be needed for airspace coordination.
Ya man..
Never thought about flying a drone in the same airspace as airplanes so I don't know why I would need to avoidance system for that..lol..
I didn't catch the specifications for the avoidance system so who's to say what it's capabilities are..
I just saw it avoid a person at a slow speed..
Surely this is the first aplication of this new technology and it will only grow ..
It clear dji is on the cutting edge and leading the way when it comes to innovation. .
turb....

Never thought about flying a drone in the same airspace as airplanes so I don't know why I would need to avoidance system for that..lol..
Uhhh... The whole thread that went on a month or so back and where these things were discussed with me saying "10 years or more" was precisely about sharing airspace with manned aircraft... and you were the one to start on the topic!

Uhhh... The whole thread that went on a month or so back and where these things were discussed with me saying "10 years or more" was precisely about sharing airspace with manned aircraft... and you were the one to start on the topic!
No it was about sharing the airspace below 400 feet and knowing where other aircraft where operating in relation to each other.
You were the one who made it about sharing airspace with comercial aircraft..

Yes because why stop on a good run? The technology needed to know where other aircraft are below 400ft is exactly the same that is needed for the whole airspace. When one is there the other will be too, i.e. requirements and development are aimed straight at the bigger goal so that everybody benefits. But that will have the side effect of delaying availability for the "less demanding" version.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla