Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Won't launch from boat so I'm selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think it would have been reasonable to mention this in the manual? Are there any other quadcopters that will not launch from a rocking boat?
Isn't it a reasonable expectation to assume, that, if most if not all other quadcopters launch from a rocking boat, that this one would as well?

I'm not sure why you're asking this question of me. I'm not responsible for what DJI does or does not disclose. I'm a user of their product and trying to be helpful to people that have questions. Perhaps you should contact DJI directlynwith your question to get an answer.

Ultra frustrating to not be able launch from any type of boat. The slightest movement does not allow the motors to start in the unlock option on the app doesn't seem to do anything. That is the unlock motor option.thanks for posting it on the RC forum

Unlock motor option no longer works in the latest firmware version. It is a remnant from older beta versions that they haven't removed. I feel your pain. I too have (had?) hopes of being able to launch off a friend's 46' cat in Costa Rica next week. Hummmmh............?

The Phantom to does it perfectly. It must be this new flight controller. I take off in GPS mode from someone's hands all the time with the Phantom 2 on a 18 rib in 8-10ft seas
Trying to recall owners manual for Phantom ,that recommends ,to put phantom on a flat/leveled surface to start and initiate it before take of for a correct performance

This is ridiculous. I purchased the Inspire explicitly for usage over gorgeous water sceneries around Asia that would require constant launches from a boat. I'm going to Maldives in 2 weeks and wanted to film other more interesting stuff than the same island all the time. That requires I travel on a boat! Man this is frustrating. I now need to travel with my Vision+ AND the Inspire, but forget producing 4K videos as all I can do with the Phantom is 1080p.
Having said this, I'm sure this is a software issue that can be fixed. Why I the world would this not be allowed. And YES, something in the manual should have indicated the requirement of a completely stable surface for launch.

Ultra frustrating to not be able launch from any type of boat. The slightest movement does not allow the motors to start in the unlock option on the app doesn't seem to do anything. That is the unlock motor option.thanks for posting it on the RC forum
sorry if someone has asked already but have you looked at your accelerometer readings when its on deck?...just curious to see what these levels are and if one could determine a threshold where it would allow you to start the motors. Would be a good starting place for a firmware revision by DJI to allow launch in this situation.

cheers

Here is some 4K footage from the phantom 2 that I shot in rough seas from an 18 foot rib hand launching and landing the entire time!

Beautiful video Nick. Love the intro and the use of tilt/shift. Imagine what that would look like shot with an Inspire. Oh that's right I almost forgot ... We can't shoot from a boat !!l

Thanks! Yes I have looked at the readings. On deck it's pretty zeroed out across the board. It doesn't take much movement for it to regulate.

Does this mean you can't start up the motors while holding it and hand launch it either? I read through the earlier posts but couldn't quite understand the answer. Thx.

If starting from a dock and then being able to start it back up on a boat works, I wonder if there's a time duration for the dock calibration to 'stick' or holdover before even that work around wouldn't work.

You can hand launch only if the unit is powered up on a surface that's not moving. I have hand launched and landed it before from the battery no problem. Start up on s boat is the problem.

Reactions: catware
Let's put some pressure on DJI to fix this. If enough people complain, maybe they'll address it.

What I don't understand is that technically, calibration is meant in large part to set the zero point for each of the various sensors. Why would such calibration need to happen on every power on? If it really does, won't taking off from a sloped driveway leave the Inspire incapable of stabilizing, with zero points for the gyro that are incorrect. Perhaps it's just the initialization sequence that looks for stable values for the gyro (and other sensors) to assert that there are no hardware failures.

This could become the deal breaker for me - and that I never saw coming. I planned to do a majority of my filming over water, most often launching from a boat. Can't believe my Blade QX350 will do better than Inspire in this kind of shoot... sigh... And don't call me a troll - this just plain sucks alright!

This is indeed a major issue.

Like some of you, I ordered an Inspire to use on a boat amongst others. Given that my confirmed order for December still has not shipped, the now lack of IOS support (only devices I have) and now lack of usability from boats, I am starting to consider cancelling my order.

Would be great if DJI could at least give an indication whether they see this as an issue they intend to fix or as a feature...

Perhaps a launchpad on a gimbal ;)

I thought I said that !

Anyhoo.... the only 'workaround' that I can think of for now is:

Stabilise on Dock/Land
Fire up motors
Power down motors BUT DO NOT TURN OFF THE INSPIRE - Once IMU is initialized it will stay initialized until next power cycle
Jump on boat with Inspire
Launch from boat at will.

Pathetic workaround I know since you are limited to not very far out and the battery is depleting the whole time it's sitting on deck powered up.

Greetings, I have a brand-new inspire one production model with four batteries,pelican case and Samsung tablet for sale. I use UAVs for Marine research. Unfortunately we learned today that the inspire one will not allow the motors to start up while on a moving surface. The rocking of the boat does not allow us to power the motors up. I bought the aircraft from the New York distributor and they only offer in store credit. It turns out I'm stuck with the phantom 2 forMarine launching. I'm only looking to get out what I paid for it. Please call 847-502-8227 for details.

Well that was the Number 1 criteria for me when i decided to get into filming with quads or hex, heres what i mean.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Nice, I truly believe the operating overwater is one of the best applications for uavs. For low impact documentation, research, sports, Etc.... It's one of the safest operational options as well. Filming in rough seas from a boat is awful regardless of equipment. UAVs are an excellent solution. More effort should be dedicated towards the potential to fly in foul weather and Highwinds. Less effort should be given to dangerous and useless features like auto take off and auto land. I don't think one should operate such a powerful dangerous professional tool if they can't fly one off the ground themselves. The same goes for landing.

Reactions: SVidz
Some
Nice, I truly believe the operating overwater is one of the best applications for uavs. For low impact documentation, research, sports, Etc.... It's one of the safest operational options as well. Filming in rough seas from a boat is awful regardless of equipment. UAVs are an excellent solution. More effort should be dedicated towards the potential to fly in foul weather and Highwinds. Less effort should be given to dangerous and useless features like auto take off and auto land. I don't think one should operate such a powerful dangerous professional tool if they can't fly one off the ground themselves. The same goes for landing.

Cant agree with you more and yes its something i am gearing my uav's and quads to be able to do. Its one thing flying over land at several miles(klm) and another thing flying over the ocean.

P.S. We should talk as we seem to share common flight and filming desires.

I also shoot videos from a boat, and wondering how will I be able to take off or land with the Inspire 1 from a boat. I hope DJI will fix this issue soon. BTW, any idea how to catch the the I1 by hand? Cheers.

Reactions: SVidz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah