Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Won't launch from boat so I'm selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who manufactures the your boat?

Sorry, its not my boat, was there for the filming amongst other things and i almost forgot, which boat are you referring ?, as i contact the owners and ask for specifics.

I also shoot videos from a boat, and wondering how will I be able to take off or land with the Inspire 1 from a boat. I hope DJI will fix this issue soon. BTW, any idea how to catch the the I1 by hand? Cheers.

I would assume bringing it low and as steady as possible that is if the seas are calm and then just reaching underneath the frame and holding the body. On the other hand if the seas are rough then you might have a serious issue on your hand.

Here is some 4K footage from the phantom 2 that I shot in rough seas from an 18 foot rib hand launching and landing the entire time!

Cool video, man! What that shot on a GoPro? I didn't see so much of fish-eye look as usual?

I am sure DJI will fix this and we should probably rely on the fact that DJi people read these posts. With Phantom users as their base for the Inspire, they can't ignore this issue. So many people are accustomed to launching from boats and filming all the beauty mother nature has to offer. Below is my sample of a few shots I did recently. At least 50% of shots were launched from a 24ft powerboat on the Malaysia shoot while the China shoot was mostly done from a frickin floating raft and going down small rapids.

Last edited:
I am sure DJI will fix this and we should probably rely on the fact that DJi people read these posts. With Phantom users as their base for the Inspire, they can't ignore this issue. So many people are accustomed to launching from boats and filming all the beauty mother nature has to offer. Below is my sample of a shot I did recently. At least 50% of shots were launched from a 24ft powerboat.

The issue is being pursued by Blade Strike and has been passed on to DJI.

Just heard that they are working on a fix for this. You will be able to launch from a boat soon. I also practiced hand catching today with gloves on. And it is pretty easy if you grab the battery with your fingers under the white fairing for support. With landing gear up. Doesn't seem too dangerous if you are carful.

The issue has been reported. I am not sure if this is a compass issue or a VRS issue. We are waiting to hear back from the engineers in R&D.

I was about to post on your (almost duplicate) thread in the Classifieds section, but then I saw this one so I'll just post here.

Unrealistically, maybe you could build a platform with dampeners. 2 boards with dampeners sandwiched in between (kind of like the dampeners on the P2V or P2V+).

You could also try this "vibration-free" / shock reduction "self-leveling" platform:

http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/K...astic_Laminate_20_x_24_Active_Air/UX-01019-45

Or maybe build your own:

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ernesto/SPR/Zeno-Thesis-Final.pdf

On a related note, this is pretty cool: http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/gyroscope-used-for-self-leveling-cruise-ship-pool-table-1467721/

And finally, realistically, you can probably disable this feature soon with the DJI Pilot App.

Last edited:
Greetings, I have a brand-new inspire one production model with four batteries,pelican case and Samsung tablet for sale. I use UAVs for Marine research. Unfortunately we learned today that the inspire one will not allow the motors to start up while on a moving surface. The rocking of the boat does not allow us to power the motors up. I bought the aircraft from the New York distributor and they only offer in store credit. It turns out I'm stuck with the phantom 2 forMarine launching. I'm only looking to get out what I paid for it. Please call 847-502-8227 for details.
847 number? You in chicago?

-Sent from Tapatalk

Let me know if you're interested selling three of your batteries.

I use UAVs for Marine research. Unfortunately we learned today that the inspire one will not allow the motors to start up while on a moving surface. The rocking of the boat does not allow us to power the motors up.

Sorry to hear about your experience. But, you saved myself and probably many others from finding this out the hard way. I also fly from my boat frequently (shooting sail boat racing) and had not considered a problem taking off from the boat. I had wondered if it was possible to hand catch the Inspire though.

Thanks for the post, hope you can recover your investment.

I received a response from DJI and they are working on adding the feature to allow the Inspire to launch from a moving platform. They said a few weeks. Not instantaneous but your concerns are being addressed.

Reactions: Wiski23
Several weeks is total ********. I can't stand dji. Reading through this forum is pathetic. This was not ready for production. Customer service sucks blah blah blah. I will be searching for a way to hold them accountable.

Several weeks is total ********. I can't stand dji. Reading through this forum is pathetic. This was not ready for production. Customer service sucks blah blah blah. I will be searching for a way to hold them accountable.
We eagerly await your flight controller where updates and fixes will no doubt be instantaneous.

Reactions: Jre
This is not new. The last firmware update allowed for this. It's not like they have to go rewrite The firmware. Why are so many people up DJI defenders?I have one thing to say to everybody who reads this,and I promise it's the last thing I'm going to say because it's frustrating to see what others write.it's simple, remember that you're buying a $3000 plus product that is supposed to work. It is supposed to be a finished product. Pretend you were buying a brand-new car. The first day you driving home it drives itself and your garage, the next day the fucking wheels fall off. And then the next day it won't start because your driveway is on an angle. Would you have an issue with the car company that you purchased it from?remember we are consumers and they are a company selling this product. There has to be a line where they are accountable when we pay them up front for something that doesn't work as advertised. This isn't rocket science. From reading the forum it is clear this thing wasn't readyand anyone's saying otherwise is a fool. So people where is the line?

Reactions: diverjeb
This isn't rocket science.
This is where you went wrong. This IS rocket science. This industry is still very fresh and the machines are incredibly complex, especially considering their size. I for one understand and accept these temporary issues we are experiencing. I even expected them when I purchased my machine. I think DJI are doing a decent job in resolving them. The fact that 1 person reports a niche issue on a forum which gets attention from DJI representatives and even gets the promise to be fixed by their R&D department is pretty impressive if you ask me. No, I am not paid by DJI to post this nor do I work for them. :)

This is not new. The last firmware update allowed for this. It's not like they have to go rewrite The firmware. Why are so many people up DJI defenders?I have one thing to say to everybody who reads this,and I promise it's the last thing I'm going to say because it's frustrating to see what others write.it's simple, remember that you're buying a $3000 plus product that is supposed to work. It is supposed to be a finished product. Pretend you were buying a brand-new car. The first day you driving home it drives itself and your garage, the next day the fucking wheels fall off. And then the next day it won't start because your driveway is on an angle. Would you have an issue with the car company that you purchased it from?remember we are consumers and they are a company selling this product. There has to be a line where they are accountable when we pay them up front for something that doesn't work as advertised. This isn't rocket science. From reading the forum it is clear this thing wasn't readyand anyone's saying otherwise is a fool. So people where is the line?

Nick, you really need to get over yourself, and calm down a bit. If you have issues with this product the usual remedy is to take it up with the maker of that product. I have issues with GM about my car, but I don't go around posting on a forum to vent my anger, I call the GM dealer and their service department. Letting us know how disappointed you are once is fine. Every body here ought to get their say. But to continue to harp on this issue to the point of repeating yourself is just plain rude to those of us trying to educate ourselves on what this product can and cannot do.

Nick, you really need to get over yourself, and calm down a bit. If you have issues with this product the usual remedy is to take it up with the maker of that product. I have issues with GM about my car, but I don't go around posting on a forum to vent my anger, I call the GM dealer and their service department. Letting us know how disappointed you are once is fine. Every body here ought to get their say. But to continue to harp on this issue to the point of repeating yourself is just plain rude to those of us trying to educate ourselves on what this product can and cannot do.
Lok at the bright side nick.. at least two people actually went out of their way to help you and the because they did dji is making a modification for people like you who want to fly off of a boat..that's pretty awesome in my opinion. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool