Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Won't launch from boat so I'm selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but why not build a small stabilization table that with keep it self level on a rocking boat? If this has been suggested elsewhere in the thread I apologize.

This thread has gotten a bit off the subject, which was Nick's original post that he is selling his Inspire because it wouldn't launch off his boat. Now, I can't tell you why Nick couldn't, but I can vouch for the fact that I could, and have. Launch it off a boat, that is. Several times, without any issues. So, it would be a fairy tale to claim that the Inspire cannot be launched off a boat. It just ain't so. Got the video to prove it, if you don't believe me, Nick.

Now, as to the behavior that you've exhibited since that original post, that's what's got my dander up a bit, and I'm just going to come right out and say that it's the behavior of someone who doesn't understand the product that they purchased and somehow feels entitled to the proposition that the manufacturer should make him whole, soothe his hurt feelings and apologize for the mental anguish the product has caused him. And maybe get a nice cash settlement for just going away and not complaining anymore. Sounds like a great plan, Nick. Let me know how that turns out.
Post the video. It is a real issue. DJI is addressing it.

Nothing as far as I can tell. I'm on the same firmware as everyone else, version 16. I did make sure my Inspire was properly calibrated (IMU) onshore and did a compass cal on the boat prior to flight. Yes, I had some nervous moments before my first launch off the boat due to the earlier concerns raised, but once I got the courage to push up the throttle and get it in the air, it flew true and was as stable as if launched from land. Had to launch it off the foredeck at a slant, as there were no true level surfaces on the boat (near my left foot in the image), but it didn't seem to matter, other than initially slanting the gimbal roll, which fixed itself during the flight. Here's a screen shot from my first launch (try to ignore my friend Roger's paunch: he owns the boat!): :p

View attachment 321
HAHAHA yeah so a cruising cat in dead flat water is not comparable. This is a joke. It can easily calibrate out on that thing. I am talking about a moving boat. One that isn't 20ft wide sitting in pond. The guys trying to film surfing, fishing, anything that happens in open ocean cant get the motors started on a moving platform unlike the phantom 2 etc. Read the original post.

Reactions: Wiski23
I just talked to the real Tahoe Ed. He is working on the upcoming resolution to all of this. I appreciate the call. As for the rest of you, congrats on being trolled. It worked I got to talk to the one guy I think may actually have some answers. Im still unhappy with the majority of my inspire tech help experience. It sucks that it has sat this entire time unable to work. I am still mad over the financial loss from its unwillingness to perform on the job. Ed's call was a step in the right direction for sure. Think twice about getting a DJI tattoo for all you fanboys out there. Im out.

Nick, I told you what I needed you to do. I got your email but you did not supply your contact information. Without that, I cannot help you further. While I appreciate you acknowledgement of our call I don't appreciate your "fond' farewell. That was not necessary when we are trying to assist you.

Nick, I told you what I needed you to do. I got your email but you did not supply your contact information. Without that, I cannot help you further. While I appreciate you acknowledgement of our call I don't appreciate your "fond' farewell. That was not necessary when we are trying to assist you.
Fond Farwell, to the forum. I cant spend anymore time on here. I will post solutions if and when they come along.

We are on a 100' at the moment in key west. We are not even in open ocean:(. Any movement shuts it down upon start up. If you start up on a flat surface you can shut down the motors and start tgem on a moving surface. It's the start up that shuts it down.

So you couldn't launch off a 100' boat (which wasn't even on open ocean) but that's more movement than a 46' cat on slightly choppy water? Granted, the cat was fairly stable, but it was slightly rocking in the breeze (note the water in my pic, it wasn't calm). I just have a hard time with your story: that you had calibrated your IMU, done the compass dance, had firmware up to date, calibrated your sticks, etc. Ironically, it was your report that caused me to have second thoughts about flying off the cat, but I thought I'd give it a try. Started up three times, with the winds on my last flight at 12-15 knots. Took off and landed on an uneven deck (there is no level surface on that boat suitable for launch or recovery).

Be that as it may, it was your subsequent over-the-top posts that evaporated any sympathy I might have had for your plight. Happy sailing!

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Fond Farwell, to the forum. I cant spend anymore time on here. I will post solutions if and when they come along.
I just wanted to repost this quote for you as you apparently forgot, and you keep posting. Your arrogant attitude and insulting behavior is annoying and probably one of the major reasons you're having so many problems with DJI. It's bizarre, but people don't like being insulted. Stop trolling.

Reactions: Kilrah
OP, interested in batts if you decide to sell. Honestly surprised your so stressed over this. As the owner of a 50' cruiser, 3g's barely fills the tanks. I'm hopefully it wants to work on my boats but if not, oh well. Lmk bout them batteries boss.

Been operating off large boats for a while now without any issues.

First post here, subscribed just to see outcome. CaptainBadge, have you had any updates on firmware or are you running the updated firmware that you have to install after the first 3 days?

Thanks,

Mark

First post here, subscribed just to see outcome. CaptainBadge, have you had any updates on firmware or are you running the updated firmware that you have to install after the first 3 days?

Thanks,

Mark
Updated firmware when I got the unit in January. Still waiting on updating to the latest until I see all positive feedback. Calibrate compass on the boat and IMU on shore and no issues.

Gents, for clarity, the OP is unable to take off whilst underway at sea. Capt. Are you able to take off specifically while underway?

Gents, for clarity, the OP is unable to take off whilst underway at sea. Capt. Are you able to take off specifically while underway?
Yes. Sea state was force 2. Winds 10 knots or less. Took off from the aft deck of an 80' motor yacht off Miami and chased it up the coast at 18 knots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi