Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R - Marina Bay Sands Singapore

Beautiful Color grading Brendan! Boost in contrast and saturation? I have a x5 non raw. I'm sure the raw has better dynamic range.

Care to share how you graded your clip? Thanks bud!

Chern

Beautiful Color grading Brendan! Boost in contrast and saturation? I have a x5 non raw. I'm sure the raw has better dynamic range.

Care to share how you graded your clip? Thanks bud!

Chern

Thanks Chern :) I used Aftereffects camera Raw for the major piece of the grading, then tweeked some final settings in the lumetri Colour panel in premerie pro. It is a slower workflow, but I'm just blown away by the fine control I get using camera raw with the X5R DNG's. I flick back and forward to bridge if the image I want to edit isn't the first one. I do the export out of AE to the renderer as uncompressed so I get it in a smoother format for Premeire pro to edit then (can create the proxy file too as it smashes my Mac).

The night scenes where I went to 1600 ISO I had to run neat video denoiser to remove the noise, but it came up ok. I learnt a lot in those few night flights on getting the most out of this camera at night.

I'm still learning the Colour grading side(worked with a friend who is brilliant at it so tried to learn as much as I could), and always looking at JLucan/Damon and the others here so I get better. I tried to go slightly cinematic for the video with Colour/contrast/tones etc, seems to suit Marina Bay Sands. Hard to make that place look bad from the air :) I had to boost Colour and contrast and sharpness (I zoom in on the DNG to about 300-400% in raw and get very fine control in sharpness). I think I tried to bring out the blues slightly also from memory.

Just one note, I'm still so impressed with the ability to recover detail from shadows and highlights in the DNGs in camera raw with the X5R. It's like a blank canvas when you start :)

Thank you so much for the comprehensive and detailed explaination.

I do a little Color Correction and Color Grading myself but not fantastic. Usually I would edit and Color Correct in Premiere Pro and bring the final piece to Davinci Resolve to Color Grade. I noticed slapping on a LUT from FilmConvert doesn't really improve the video, instead it makes it very dark and actual Color is out of whack! Tried various LUTs from Davinci inself eg from Blackmagic LUTs also didn't quite get the look that I wanted. Even though I shoot in D-Log I still cannot achieve that cinematic look like you see on movies. Maybe it's the atmosphere here in Singapore. Our Color temperature here is very dull and lack of richness unlike other countries I have travelled like Australia where the sky is so BLUE and everything is so high in contrast LOL! Or maybe it's the lack of MBPS my x5 has that grading cannot be pushed. Only a pathetic 60MBPS if I am not wrong for 4K video compared to your RAW camera ;)

So I end of balancing the video with the highlights and the shadows and boost contrast and saturation. Nothing really special I can do unfortunately to get a good clean look which looks natural. Definitely shooting is RAW is a big plus because firstly you can use the footage for commercial work as the MBPS is broadcast quality 1.5GBPS (more than enough) and you can recover any lost details as you mentioned in your message. True flexibility to grading and you can really push the Colors if you want to with all that extra DATA recorded.

I own 2 Blackmagic Cameras Ursa Mini 4K and Pocket and it's very fun to play with using RAW. Once you add the LUT is looks great to say the least. Even using the camera profile for DJI inspire FilmConvert still sucked, so I am running out of options.

You should really try Davinci Resolve. It's free to download too. You can really isolate the Colors and really tweak it to your hearts desire! Get that blockbuster look with the teal and orange look :D Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Look forward to your good reply! Take care

Chern

Reactions: Brendan
Thank you so much for the comprehensive and detailed explaination.

I do a little Color Correction and Color Grading myself but not fantastic. Usually I would edit and Color Correct in Premiere Pro and bring the final piece to Davinci Resolve to Color Grade. I noticed slapping on a LUT from FilmConvert doesn't really improve the video, instead it makes it very dark and actual Color is out of whack! Tried various LUTs from Davinci inself eg from Blackmagic LUTs also didn't quite get the look that I wanted. Even though I shoot in D-Log I still cannot achieve that cinematic look like you see on movies. Maybe it's the atmosphere here in Singapore. Our Color temperature here is very dull and lack of richness unlike other countries I have travelled like Australia where the sky is so BLUE and everything is so high in contrast LOL! Or maybe it's the lack of MBPS my x5 has that grading cannot be pushed. Only a pathetic 60MBPS if I am not wrong for 4K video compared to your RAW camera ;)

So I end of balancing the video with the highlights and the shadows and boost contrast and saturation. Nothing really special I can do unfortunately to get a good clean look which looks natural. Definitely shooting is RAW is a big plus because firstly you can use the footage for commercial work as the MBPS is broadcast quality 1.5GBPS (more than enough) and you can recover any lost details as you mentioned in your message. True flexibility to grading and you can really push the Colors if you want to with all that extra DATA recorded.

I own 2 Blackmagic Cameras Ursa Mini 4K and Pocket and it's very fun to play with using RAW. Once you add the LUT is looks great to say the least. Even using the camera profile for DJI inspire FilmConvert still sucked, so I am running out of options.

You should really try Davinci Resolve. It's free to download too. You can really isolate the Colors and really tweak it to your hearts desire! Get that blockbuster look with the teal and orange look :D Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Look forward to your good reply! Take care

Chern
Sounds similar to your experience with your black magic and RAW, it is great having the data there :) I do have Davinci resolve also and it is a great package. I actually use it for its render engine if I want to deliver pro res to a client quickly as it powers through the render. Awesome Colour grading control also :)

That's true. It's the fastest compared to premiere pro and after effects.

Do you have a YouTube channel?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop