Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Yaw camera (C1+LSW) stops working when landing gear goes up

Reaction score
Website
www.airflix.dk
Hi,

I'm testing my new I2 + X5S these dasy and observed a strange behaviour.

To Yaw the camera, you now need to press and hold C1 + turn Left Scroll Wheel (LSW).

That works fine when I test it on the ground, when motors are running and during hover. But as soon as I raise the landing gear I can't not yaw anymore.
If I lower the landing gear it works perfectly fine again.

This is when gimbal is in "Follow" mode - which is what I always used (+1,000 flights with I1).

If I however switch gimbal to "Free" mode - which I really don't want to use, then the yaw functionality (C1+LSW) works again.

So the issue is:
Yaw camera with C1+LSW only works with landing gear down in "Follow" mode

1) Does anyone know of a fix?
2) Could someone test if your I2 does the same?

I've seen this same issue happen to me as well, I've searched up and down for a fix and haven't found anything yet. I'm hoping DJI comes out with an updated firmware soon with the fixes for this as well as the major landing gear issue.

My own experience and also studying the manual, your I2 is behaving just like designed. When flying (gear up) and you select Follow Mode the camera will point straight ahead and you can only control pitch. If you switch to Free Mode for the gimbal, you can control both pitch and yaw of the camera. That's how I think it's designed. Now with the use of the second controller, (which I haven't tried yet), that controller may be able to yaw and pitch the camera while in Follow Mode.

My own experience and also studying the manual, your I2 is behaving just like designed. When flying (gear up) and you select Follow Mode the camera will point straight ahead and you can only control pitch. If you switch to Free Mode for the gimbal, you can control both pitch and yaw of the camera. That's how I think it's designed. Now with the use of the second controller, (which I haven't tried yet), that controller may be able to yaw and pitch the camera while in Follow Mode.

This is not the case on the Inspire 1. I can assure you that with single operator in follow mode I was able to move the camera in any direction I wanted. I tested the two birds side by side. and the I1 was able to move the camera no problem, the I1, couldn't move side to side. (this was all done while flying with landing gear up)

Exactly. I've always flown in Flown Mode on I1 doing tilt/pans just switching btw them with C1.

Now there's a lot of extra steps involved which potentially can ruin, or at the very least, make pans more difficult. With this way of doing it, you now need to move your hands of the sticks, press gimbal mode, press Free mode and then go back to the sticks.

Extra unnecessary steps is not exactly what professionals are happy about. Especially if DJI doesn't give us an option to tweak this as we want (simple).

I just flew my I2 in both follow and free modes. I was able to control gimbal pitch by rotating the gimbal wheel and gimbal yaw by pressing and holding the C1 button while rotating the gimbal wheel. This worked with the landing gear in either up or down configurations. I do have the C1 button set for Gimbal yaw reset, not sure if that means anything in this conversation. I actually like that I have to press and hold C1 to get the gimbal yaw to work. On the Inspire 1, when I had C1 set to toggle between pitch and yaw I could never remember if it was set to pitch or yaw. Now I know it will only yaw when I press and hold C1.

I just flew my I2 in both follow and free modes. I was able to control gimbal pitch by rotating the gimbal wheel and gimbal yaw by pressing and holding the C1 button while rotating the gimbal wheel. This worked with the landing gear in either up or down configurations. I do have the C1 button set for Gimbal yaw reset, not sure if that means anything in this conversation. I actually like that I have to press and hold C1 to get the gimbal yaw to work. On the Inspire 1, when I had C1 set to toggle between pitch and yaw I could never remember if it was set to pitch or yaw. Now I know it will only yaw when I press and hold C1.

The problem is, that now it ONLY works in Free mode, whereas on the I1 it worked in Follow mode.
I hope DJI will fix this soon and give us back the ability to yaw in Follow mode.

Reactions: Jason Boucher
The problem is, that now it ONLY works in Free mode, whereas on the I1 it worked in Follow mode.
I hope DJI will fix this soon and give us back the ability to yaw in Follow mode.

Mine worked two days ago as I commented above. Nothing has changed for my I2 with the latest firmware. It is still there for my new I2.

Hi,

To Yaw the camera, you now need to press and hold C1 + turn Left Scroll Wheel (LSW).

That works fine when I test it on the ground, when motors are running and during hover. But as soon as I raise the landing gear I can't not yaw anymore.

Yes, my I2 is doing the same. I think that this redesign is a backward step which leaves the I2 much harder to control single handedly.

Come on DJI, put it back to the way it was on the I1

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Same here. Irritated enough at DJI removing the toggle pitch/yaw function on the C1 button, and then to not be able to use the NEW function properly is an added kick in the guts.

Hi,

This is when gimbal is in "Follow" mode - which is what I always used (+1,000 flights with I1).

If I however switch gimbal to "Free" mode - which I really don't want to use, then the yaw functionality (C1+LSW) works again.

So the issue is:
Yaw camera with C1+LSW only works with landing gear down in "Follow" mode

1) Does anyone know of a fix?

After the recent FW update my I2 works like yours. I do not care for it.

I recently purchased the I2 with the X4S camera and yaw worked in either free or follow using C1 and the LSW. Today, I got the X5S delivered and was excited to test it out. Can you imagine how I felt that with the landing gear up, I no longer had yaw control in follow me mode!!! Just updated the firmware and will test tomorrow. I don't have much faith that DJI has addressed this issue. The fact that the X4S can be used this way leaves me wondering how DJI made this unavailable on the X5S

Last edited:
I recently purchased the I2 with the X4S camera and yaw worked in either free or follow using C1 and the LSW. Today, I got the X5S delivered and was excited to test it out. Can you imagine how I felt that with the landing gear up and no longer had yaw control in follow me mode!!! Just updated the firmware and will test tomorrow. I don't have much faith that DJI has addressed this issue. The fact that the X4S can be used this way leaves me wondering how DJI made this unavailable on the X5S

The issue has been corrected with the latest FW.

Reactions: KyleIRYS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop