Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any Lidar Solutions using new Solid State Sensors?

Reaction score
Apparently, they are starting to build small solid state lidar sensors so they are more a form factor and weight like a Flir Vue thermo sensor. Problem is, seems these are all just sensors with no data storage function (microSD slot) built in like the Flir Vue. Anyone know if someone has taken one of these new solid state sensors and used it to build a turnkey lidar device for drones - basically a Lidar version of a Flir Vue?

Not familiar but it’s been a matter of time for LiDAR sensors to begin seeing some breakthroughs to enhance form, functionality and simply the sensors’ agility for compatibility on aircraft of lesser payload capability. Curious to hear of further progressions in this area as we have been limited to the M600 for all but one of our LiDAR applications.

Well I got a reply from a manufacturer that gave me a lengthy technical explanation amounting to the fact the solid-state lasers are appropriate for surveying applications. They are more for object avoidance and that type of thing (being used in cars as opposed to radar). So it looks like for the foreseeable future, as far as I can tell searching for solutions, your not going to get probably below 700g for a Lidar platform you can retrofit to a UAV (if coming close to that even - probably higher considering mounting equipment and potentially separate battery for power source) I was hoping maybe there's a decent solution out there you could use with an Inspire but it looks like the financial barrier of entry to UAV Lidar applications is still quite high as opposed to thermal and NVDI. Does the M200 series have the necessary lift capacity to retrofit something or is the M600 really the only reliably serviceable DJI platform for Lidar?

Apparently, they are starting to build small solid state lidar sensors so they are more a form factor and weight like a Flir Vue thermo sensor. Problem is, seems these are all just sensors with no data storage function (microSD slot) built in like the Flir Vue. Anyone know if someone has taken one of these new solid state sensors and used it to build a turnkey lidar device for drones - basically a Lidar version of a Flir Vue?
lidarusa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry