Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

As a licensed pilot, the safety issue with the demo Zip Line involves minimum altitudes for aircraft (US). Over populated/built-up areas, aircraft must remain well above the 400' recommended max for drones. But over non-populated/built-up areas, an aircraft can be lower. In the demo video, the drone going out over the water (a non-built-up area) could bring it into potential conflict with legally low flying banner towing and sightseeing aircraft. Also can have several types of helicopters flying low over water (off from the beach area). That's why it is prudent to be able to clearly see/watch the airspace around your drone if you are flying in a non-populated/built-up area (over water, out of town, etc.) in order to be able to watch for low flying aircraft, and also keep the drone reasonably well below minimum altitude for normal aircraft in populated/built-up areas.

Reactions: rtrhead
Is the beta test still open ? Trying to get access to the app for P3 and Inspire as soon as possible. Thanks

how did you know that from point A you would climb quick enough to clear the houses right near the starting point of A
The starting altitude of the aircraft was just above the tops of the condos at the start. I had my finger on the P switch just in case though.

Assuming EASA and CAA finally get their way with the 'line of sight' rules where does that leave the APPS that advocate POIs and routes?
You still need to understand the local rules and regulations of where you intend to use Autopilot, and take responsibility.

As a licensed pilot, the safety issue with the demo Zip Line involves minimum altitudes for aircraft (US). Over populated/built-up areas, aircraft must remain well above the 400' recommended max for drones. But over non-populated/built-up areas, an aircraft can be lower. In the demo video, the drone going out over the water (a non-built-up area) could bring it into potential conflict with legally low flying banner towing and sightseeing aircraft. Also can have several types of helicopters flying low over water (off from the beach area). That's why it is prudent to be able to clearly see/watch the airspace around your drone if you are flying in a non-populated/built-up area (over water, out of town, etc.) in order to be able to watch for low flying aircraft, and also keep the drone reasonably well below minimum altitude for normal aircraft in populated/built-up areas.

Not to hijack this thread but I think to maintain safe separation, the FAA will absolutely need to redefine MSA in §119 of Part 91, parts 3 and 4 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR):

3. Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;

4. Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

This is asking for an accident waiting to happen, as UAV's expect to be able to fly in this airspace.

Unless ADS-B transponders are required equipment on all UAV's, I can't see "under 400" and "any altitude you like" for aircraft creating a "safe integration of UAV's into the national airspace".

Reactions: Kauaigene
Guys I was invited for the beta, but could not download it untill the past weekend (my USB port had to be fixed on the remote) But now my invite expired.

Can you/anyone help me out in to still participate in the beta? I really want to test some functions (purpose: cinematography) . I do not have a feeling that we are going to get a new SDK in a few days from DJI in order to download/use the first official release of the app in the appstore.

Last edited:
FW announced. But "Lastly, a firmware update will also be available for the professional-level Inspire 1 that will add all of these Intelligent Flight Modes except for Follow Me."

Clear opportunity for Autopilot!

Last edited:
Waypoints are the biggest thing I have been waiting for.....we need and want waypoints!
ditto. I feel like the DJI version will be a waypoint lite... since I heard that you shouldn't get your hopes up for the DJI waypoint feature. Read whatever into that it means. Came from a guy under NDA. So third party apps may have to step up. WAYYYYYYPOINTSSS!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: damoncooper
ditto. I feel like the DJI version will be a waypoint lite... since I heard that you shouldn't get your hoped up for the DJI waypoint feature. Read whatever into that it means. Came from a guy under NDA. So third party apps may have to step up. WAYYYYYYPOINTSSS!!!!!
It is the top priority on our list in addition to remote device follow:
Support - Autoflight Logic

We need your support in order to continue development though (buy the current version, tell people about it, etc).

We need your support in order to continue development though (buy the current version, tell people about it, etc).
yeah, I was a beta tester. I'll buy it. Promise you'll add waypoints down the line though. promise? ;) I'm pretty sure you can do it better than anyone else. Also like the fact your updates came so quickly and you listened to your testers.

No prob here.

Fyi, WRT Waypoints:

- One user suggested the Waypoint feature might work like this: "...draw a circle with your finger and the software smooths it out and creates your waypoints for you." I think that's a cool idea from a UI perspective.
- Ability to "Save" off and fly / "replay" Waypoint missions would be good as well.
- Ability to specify various camera "focus" strategies would be good (POI, RC, Device, Fixed (good for Ortho Phogammetery /Search & Rescue/etc))
- An option to "preview" the WP mission using Google Maps / Earth would be a nice-to-have

Last edited:

The current version is Autopilot for phantom, that is the version that will be upgraded to the version that currently is being beta-tested for inspire also?

Edit: if not - then please dont answer, since i just bought the app :rolleyes:

The current version is Autopilot for phantom, that is the version that will be upgraded to the version that currently is being beta-tested for inspire also?

Edit: if not - then please dont answer, since i just bought the app :rolleyes:
Yes, all existing users will receive a no-cost upgrade.

Reactions: flydogs and Busch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont