Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Waypoint Mode

Caching of maps is also critical for me since I fly away from Cell range 75% of the time. DJI Go does allow caching of maps by turning on the feature and then by scrolling around in satellite view. This is so inexact and I am sure you guys can do this much better.

I think having the ability to enter waypoints with or without any mapping is a must. I also fly the majority of time without cell coverage and in many cases, I don't need a map just the ability to enter waypoints and fly.

I would also like to see the ability to execute a series of steps at each waypoint.
For example: fly to waypoint one using some predefined POI. Once at the waypoint, point camera down 90 degrees, take snapshot, change camera to 45 degrees, take snapshot, yaw 90 degrees, take snapshot, etc. etc.

Would be nice to take those steps and apply them to each waypoint.

I am part of Search and Rescue and in the wilderness, having the ability to enter waypoints and get data (images and video) once there would be very helpful to bring back to analyze.

Reactions: Ascender
I think having the ability to enter waypoints with or without any mapping is a must. I also fly the majority of time without cell coverage and in many cases, I don't need a map just the ability to enter waypoints and fly.

I would also like to see the ability to execute a series of steps at each waypoint.
For example: fly to waypoint one using some predefined POI. Once at the waypoint, point camera down 90 degrees, take snapshot, change camera to 45 degrees, take snapshot, yaw 90 degrees, take snapshot, etc. etc.

Would be nice to take those steps and apply them to each waypoint.

I am part of Search and Rescue and in the wilderness, having the ability to enter waypoints and get data (images and video) once there would be very helpful to bring back to analyze.
Totally agree the option to programme a list of desired manoeuvres at each POI is perfect, especially for commercial applications ie. crop surveys or structure visuals.

Another thing to think about are alternate Modes that can accomplish your goal better than Waypoint. For example, what about the idea of Playback Mode, where you fly a course and then Autopilot can execute the same exact flight again? Would such a mode satisfy the majority of your perceived need for Waypoint Mode - to the point where you would prefer to use it over Waypoint Mode?

yes, repeating is good. 'practice makes perfect' As an architectural photographer I can attest to "revisiting" the same spot will let you see new potentials views whether you are flying or standing still in a building lobby or parking lot.

We are hard at work creating Waypoint Mode, but we need your feedback to make it great. Have an idea for what you would like to see in Waypoint Mode? Post your idea here and it may make it into the next release!

UPDATE: If you have multiple ideas, please post them in priority order.
Why oh why are DJI trying to re-invent the wheel !!!! There is a perfectly good APP (for now) its called Ground Station !!!! while all the Inspire teckies get the act together, why not use that functionality for the Inspire 1. The latest firmware update is not really worth the wait, very disappointing !!!

Reactions: Mark V
We are hard at work creating Waypoint Mode, but we need your feedback to make it great. Have an idea for what you would like to see in Waypoint Mode? Post your idea here and it may make it into the next release!

A weather warning would be good, I do check weather before flying, however I have been caught out. There is so much weather data out there.

Utilise the google maps elevation API for waypoints to waypoint path.

So I have so been waiting for actual way point system that acts as a ground station where you can preplan your flights. I have used the DJI iPad Ground Station quite a bit for aerial 3d mapping. I was pretty disappointed when we didnt see a similar ground station in the latest app/firmware. I was on the beta firmware and their where a lot of threads on this. Never the less its up to other devs or maybe DJI does it at some point to build a system like this. I found the original ground station app to work very well.

An addition that I wanted was the ability to also define look at points when its going from one way point to the next seen in this mock up I did.

005924mj5ef7z1a1ks708i.jpg

I think the DJI app is pretty **** good with allowing you to set way points pre-flight, adjust each height, speed and turning algorithm then hitting go and the bird would take off and fly to its first way point. Of course with the P3 or the Inspire 1 we would need to be able to set record mode or picture mode which we would need the option to snap photos every x seconds.. maybe 1, 3, 5 etc.. this is helpful for mapping.

You can see a few examples of my maps that I created using Pix4D (which im also a tester of) and Photoscan.. I use them both because some times the data I want one or the other programs can generate much better results. I also have 2 blog posts about those who are interested into 3d mapping and using a way point system to do so.

Part 1
Part 2

Anyhow im looking forward to some company providing us a way point system thats flexible enough.

Cheers

Last edited:
So I have so been waiting for actual way point system that acts as a ground station where you can preplan your flights. I have used the DJI iPad Ground Station quite a bit for aerial 3d mapping. I was pretty disappointed when we didnt see a similar ground station in the latest app/firmware. I was on the beta firmware and their where a lot of threads on this. Never the less its up to other devs or maybe DJI does it at some point to build a system like this. I found the original ground station app
to work very well.

An addition that I wanted was the ability to also define look at points when its going from one way point to the next seen in this mock up I did.

View attachment 3903

I think the DJI app is pretty **** good with allowing you to set way points pre-flight, adjust each height, speed and turning algorithm then hitting go and the bird would take off and fly to its first way point. Of course with the P3 or the Inspire 1 we would need to be able to set record mode or picture mode which we would need the option to snap photos every x seconds.. maybe 1, 3, 5 etc.. this is helpful for mapping.

You can see a few examples of my maps that I created using Pix4D (which im also a tester of) and Photoscan.. I use them both because some times the data I want one or the other programs can generate much better results. I also have 2 blog posts about those who are interested into 3d mapping and using a way point system to do so.

Part 1
Part 2

Anyhow im looking forward to some company providing us a way point system thats flexible enough.

Cheers
I agree. DJI groundstation for iPad functionality is very good.

I'd look to Ground Station as a good start. I like the ability to choose pre-done paths like patterns, circles, squares, etc..

Have the ability to fly beyond 500 feet between waypoints. When I tried using the DJI app the other day I ran into this limitation.

I like the option above for smooth speed up / slow down and would like it to fly a smooth corner instead of flying to a corner point and spinning on its axis. Should have option to do smooth cornering.

I agree do on the ground and upload before and I like the Google Earth option since they have the MSL heights for the ground, so good starting point for determining height.

Reactions: IrishSights
I don't know if this is mentioned, but the ability to create a way point mission with a POI (orbit). Example fly three points then circle object and fly three more point away from object. If it could record camera moves would make it awesome. That is truly a repeatable mission.

I don't know if this is mentioned, but the ability to create a way point mission with a POI (orbit). Example fly three points then circle object and fly three more point away from object. If it could record camera moves would make it awesome. That is truly a repeatable mission.

Or zipline. Or any other mode that makes sense with waypoints and focus points.

Agreed. You'd have much more than waypoints with such capability - you would have perfectly choreographed and repeatable missions.

I agree DJI ground station looks like a good starting point.

My view is that there's 2 purposes for waypoints. 1) videography and

Would love to see:

- Visual GUI based around a map (cachable)
- Ability to have complete control of the drone and camera settings at each waypoint (height, bearing, camera tilt/yaw, POI etc)
- Ability to change settings for the travel in between each waypoint (speed, ease in/out, stop/turn).
- Preset grid patterns for photogrammetry/surveys with ability to change the number of rows, rotation, camera POI etc).
- Ability to plot multiple grids for one flight (for 3D surveys so the imagery can be captured from all angles).
- Curved routes in between each waypoint for both height and path (spline manipulation)

Keep up the good work guys!

Last edited:
I like the idea of having a pro and a basic version. I would definetely buy the pro if I want to do more things, but start with the basic version first.. thanks for all your work!!

Above all else, switching to google maps and allowing caching, which I believe you're already doing, but it's worth a mention.

1). Camera controls
2). Waypoints editable through the device, in advance of flight, and saveable
3). POI pins that control camera focus while running a flight route
4). Curves at edges of waypoints to provide smooth transition between points (which you should be able to disable)
5). Draw flight path with your finger

Reactions: damoncooper

Allow shapefile for flight path.

Reactions: chip chipman
In my opinion I feel the camera controls throughout the application are much needed. Switching between apps is very much clumsy. I want a goto app that looks professional and handles all the key points.

On the waypoints I would love to see spline implementation. Basically instead of hard points the are smoothed like if you used a pen tool. They would be much more beneficial to people using a planed course to get a shot. It will be fluid. Take a look at 3DR's tower app for this.

Here is also a video...

I would hope the inspire could replicate this automation to benefit the pilot to have hands free controls for the camera, great video, thank you for your insight

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg