Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Broadcasting/Streaming live to a Jumbotron

Reaction score
Has anyone streamed live during an event to a Jumbotron? I am looking for any advice for connections and
video setting. The plan is a straight forward HDMI in, using long cable to move about.

Yes, it's been done, you need to talk with the truck on preferred signal when bringing it in, I would imagine for best result is to convert it out of HDMI to a signal that can travel the distance without compromising it integrity, and that conversion will be best to at your end then at the truck end. The latency is pretty good an actually works well in viewing the live Jumbotron world

I haven't seen any post on this subject. I expect any latency will come from using a longer HDMI cable, but as you said it's not really an issue. Thanks for the reply.

And what kind of event can you fly over with out getting into trouble?
This is a polo match, since the large crowds and horses/riders keeping distance is a must. No closeup action shots, this will be shot with other equipment. Plans do include an aerial group shot.

You'll likely need an HDMI to SDI converter as the former doesn't really go over 10m and it wouldn't be very cool to fly hanging from the OB van, and also because HDMI isn't even a thing in the broadcast world.

They may need to use a time base corrector / converter as they often have to match all their inputs to the same format before mixing and other sources likely won't be the 720p the remote supplies.

Basically that's something you need to discuss in advance with the team who operates the live feed.

Reactions: jhardway
I'm sure there have been others who have this type of live streaming. I would expect having advance notice these details will be worked out. All I know is the
screen can handle 8 inputs. It is the conversion connection I'm not familiar with and wondered if a group member had any experience in the area. I will bring up the time base corrector/convertor
issue for my end of the shoot. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

It is the conversion connection I'm not familiar with and wondered if a group member had any experience in the area.
Again that depends on the equipment you're going to connect to, so whoever operates that is the one you should talk to.

I do have experience there, but the only thing it allows me to tell you is that there are so many different setups that you can't plan for all, you have to check it on a case by case basis.

Well understood, and will do. Thank you Kilrah.
I now have a Jumbotron rep to contact for details. I receive new news will post.

Last edited:
You'll likely need an HDMI to SDI converter as the former doesn't really go over 10m and it wouldn't be very cool to fly hanging from the OB van, and also because HDMI isn't even a thing in the broadcast world.

They may need to use a time base corrector / converter as they often have to match all their inputs to the same format before mixing and other sources likely won't be the 720p the remote supplies.

Basically that's something you need to discuss in advance with the team who operates the live feed.
Yes most like it need to get frame synced before hitting the switcher. Other wise it will most likely take hits and it will show up on air during a cut to the postilion.

Event wise, there are many ways it can be construed and by the FAA side of thing they would emphasize the most restriction. I would tell you this, make sure you plan out your flights and do not fly over crowds.

Personally I would say use good judgment and as you fly constantly take in account if something happened with you aircraft where it was to drop out of the sky, what would it drop on. For a polo event, I have discussion with US polo and have been interview by a few news outlets on the international level on how to use the technology in the sport.

Because the field is so large and the majority of the crowd is focused on one side, at certain events the sport allows for a fairly safe environment.

Event wise, there are many ways it can be construed and by the FAA side of thing they would emphasize the most restriction. I would tell you this, make sure you plan out your flights and do not fly over crowds.

Personally I would say use good judgment and as you fly constantly take in account if something happened with you aircraft where it was to drop out of the sky, what would it drop on. For a polo event, I have discussion with US polo and have been interview by a few news outlets on the international level on how to use the technology in the sport.

Because the field is so large and the majority of the crowd is focused on one side, at certain events the sport allows for a fairly safe environment.
You are absolutely correct J. The tents and spectators are confined to half side of the field. Since I've photograph this in the past gives an advantage. Regardless, safety is foremost.

Yes most like it need to get frame synced before hitting the switcher. Other wise it will most likely take hits and it will show up on air during a cut to the postilion.
Hi HC, this option could very well be the way to go. I'm just a little guy trying to keep expenses down although this route could open lots of possibilities. Thanks

Blackmajic, Aja, they a both very good, I know a few people that have use the teredek's but for the cost they have not been happy for them and say the range they claim are not so good on UAV's

Yes you want to connect to the switcher and remember your only getting 720 out from the hdmi out and have the switcher set to 720 and use dvi/sti out to jumbo tronco or projector.
Has anyone streamed live during an event to a Jumbotron? I am looking for any advice for connections and
video setting. The plan is a straight forward HDMI in, using long cable to move about.[/QUOTE

Now I have all the info needed for this job, streaming to the Jumbotron was scratched for selling advertising space. Like everything it came down to a financial issue for the clients. It's been a great
learning curve and found not difficult or that expensive. I hope to do this in the future perhaps for others. Thanks Kashis and everyone for your input!

Now I have all the info needed for this job, streaming to the Jumbotron was scratched for selling advertising space. Like everything it came down to a financial issue for the clients. It's been a great
learning curve and found not difficult or that expensive. I hope to do this in the future perhaps for others. Thanks Kashis and everyone for your input!
That's awesome brother and safe flying.

there is a broadcast monitor manufacturer called konvision. they have a monitor that has a build in hdmi to HD-SDI which you can take a long way (up to 100m).
the monitor has a fast mode which eleminates the latency to almost ZERO and is not noticable. i have been on led screens and my staff used a upscale converter to 1080 because of the interlace system. but all worked good and everybody was happy.

check their site. if you like i can hoon you up with the international sales rep. they have filled up a few TV stations and i am sure there is a sales rep in the UK.

let me know if you would like to get in touch with them.
m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74