Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Can buy another X3 or get the X5. worth it?

Reaction score
I've got many (hundreds) of flights in the X3. We need another drone. So, we are debating between the Inspire Pro X5 or the Inspire 1 V2.0 . In time we will most likely upgrade and add the Zenmuse Xt when it comes out but that may not be for months or cost effective. If we get the Inspire Pro X5 do we need the Remote Focus dial? Can we set the X5 to just be at infinity like the X3 is now while we get used to using the X5? Thanks everyone!

I've got many (hundreds) of flights in the X3. We need another drone. So, we are debating between the Inspire Pro X5 or the Inspire 1 V2.0 . In time we will most likely upgrade and add the Zenmuse Xt when it comes out but that may not be for months or cost effective. If we get the Inspire Pro X5 do we need the Remote Focus dial? Can we set the X5 to just be at infinity like the X3 is now while we get used to using the X5? Thanks everyone!
I would say not. You will find camera skills are needed for the X5. It is not point and shoot like the X3.

The X5 is a great camera once you get use to the settings which im sure you would not have any trouble with, It is by far the best camera in my arsenal and I have a lot of birds let me tell you lol. The best thing to do if you want to upgrade is to get the DJI Inspire X5 Pro and then have your X3 camera as well. You can switch them out as much as you want without problems. I am flying the Black Pro X5 and I sometimes put my X3 on there depending on what shot Im trying to get. If the weather is crap and windy as well then I keep my X5 in the case. It is just my personal choice but I just love the X5 and can't wait to get the X5R. I use the DJI Focus on all of my flights as it gives you a far better ability to control the focus. I like to start out flying out of focus and then gently pull focus at the right time. It also works on ending a shot as well, when you focus the x5 using the app you get a small stepping of the focus point. Kinda like a little jump and then you are good , with the focus system that is a thing of the past. I also am selling a custom mount that mounts the DJI Focus to the radio control so it is right there at your fingertips. It can easily be removed from its mount without tools and held by a second person etc... Yes you can set the infinity point to whatever distance you choose. You will love the Inspire Pro X5 if you pull the trigger, It does take more skills to use but it is definitely worth it. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.

Respectfully,
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

Ralph, thank you for the detailed reply. I guess, I'll go ahead and get the x5 pro and use the x3 camera or even the Osmo camera (same thing I believe), and order the remote focus dial. I'm going with Drones Etc on this I think (unless anyone thinks I should go elsewhere). The remote is $1000. They also offer insurance for everything unless it's stolen or completely submerged. They also have a FPLVR upgrade to the remote for range. We do lots of big farms where we can get behind tree lines at times. So, I thought this would be good on 70-150 acre lots. Good idea or bad idea? Thanks so much!!!

Ralph, thank you for the detailed reply. I guess, I'll go ahead and get the x5 pro and use the x3 camera or even the Osmo camera (same thing I believe), and order the remote focus dial. I'm going with Drones Etc on this I think (unless anyone thinks I should go elsewhere). The remote is $1000. They also offer insurance for everything unless it's stolen or completely submerged. They also have a FPLVR upgrade to the remote for range. We do lots of big farms where we can get behind tree lines at times. So, I thought this would be good on 70-150 acre lots. Good idea or bad idea? Thanks so much!!!
Anytime you can increase your range and power safely and with stability it's a great idea. If you don't find what you need with Drones Etc feel free to give us a shout. We are doing an wide array of custom builds with great success. I'm always around if you need anything. Good luck with your project.

Respectfully

Ralph
FlyHighUSA

Ralph, I feel pretty stupid. I didn't realize you were a vendor for some reason. I thought you were someone who owned a business similar to ours that provided a service.My partner and I will look at your site shortly.

Yeah please take a look at one thing the White inspire pro is not currently listed on my site but I do have them for sale they will be back up listed tonight I had a problem in the shopping cart with that one product my IT guys fixing it now. I can get anything the DJI has to sale and I stock most titles thanks for taking a look

The X5 is a great camera once you get use to the settings which im sure you would not have any trouble with, It is by far the best camera in my arsenal and I have a lot of birds let me tell you lol. The best thing to do if you want to upgrade is to get the DJI Inspire X5 Pro and then have your X3 camera as well. You can switch them out as much as you want without problems. I am flying the Black Pro X5 and I sometimes put my X3 on there depending on what shot Im trying to get. If the weather is crap and windy as well then I keep my X5 in the case. It is just my personal choice but I just love the X5 and can't wait to get the X5R. I use the DJI Focus on all of my flights as it gives you a far better ability to control the focus. I like to start out flying out of focus and then gently pull focus at the right time. It also works on ending a shot as well, when you focus the x5 using the app you get a small stepping of the focus point. Kinda like a little jump and then you are good , with the focus system that is a thing of the past. I also am selling a custom mount that mounts the DJI Focus to the radio control so it is right there at your fingertips. It can easily be removed from its mount without tools and held by a second person etc... Yes you can set the infinity point to whatever distance you choose. You will love the Inspire Pro X5 if you pull the trigger, It does take more skills to use but it is definitely worth it. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.

Respectfully,
Ralph
FlyHighUSA[/QUOTE

I fail to understand why people want to focus their shots from a drone. To me, a drone is for "high elevation" filming with focus set at infinity. In all my years filming professionally, I have never been asked to defocus a shot from a real helicopter etc.
Sounds like you got caught up in the marketing and hype of the X5 like a lot of people.
To me, a total waste of money. The X3 is a great camera as is. Many of my shots are on Discovery Channel and others with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not sure how to respond to your quote so I will just say this. I have been a photographer for many years as well and I have been asked by my customers many times to come from unfocused to focused in a very slow manor and until recently I haven't been easily able to achieve those shots. The focus system works perfectly for me and many of my customers and photography friends. I can tell you one thing for sure!!! I haven't gotten caught up in anything. I use the equipment that helps me get the end result that I need. I make my decisions based on my needs and what works for me, not anyone elses. What works for one may not work for the other. Just because no one is asking you for a particular method of filming doesn't mean it's incorrect for someone else to do so. That's what makes the wonderful world we live in go round. If everyone did the same thing the same way it would be a very boring place to be. I will keep shooting my way and will continue to encourage my friends to shoot their own way. If you like the x3 so much then keep using it. I'm glad it works for you. As I said in my post I use it and like it but for my personal use and it has become my professional opinion it's a much better camera for my needs and suits me well. I wish you continued success and many successful flights ahead.

Respectfully
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

I'm not sure how to respond to your quote so I will just say this. I have been a photographer for many years as well and I have been asked by my customers many times to come from unfocused to focused in a very slow manor and until recently I haven't been easily able to achieve those shots. The focus system works perfectly for me and many of my customers and photography friends. I can tell you one thing for sure!!! I haven't gotten caught up in anything. I use the equipment that helps me get the end result that I need. I make my decisions based on my needs and what works for me, not anyone elses. What works for one may not work for the other. Just because no one is asking you for a particular method of filming doesn't mean it's incorrect for someone else to do so. That's what makes the wonderful world we live in go round. If everyone did the same thing the same way it would be a very boring place to be. I will keep shooting my way and will continue to encourage my friends to shoot their own way. If you like the x3 so much then keep using it. I'm glad it works for you. As I said in my post I use it and like it but for my personal use and it has become my professional opinion it's a much better camera for my needs and suits me well. I wish you continued success and many successful flights ahead.

Respectfully
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

If you care to share an example of one of these slow focus pull shots I'd love to see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters