Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

convert X3 camera to NDVI

Reaction score
Hello fellow Inspire fans,

I am going to convert my X3 to NDVI specs. I read all the pros and cons, it's not perfect I know.
Some offer NIR+red lenses, others offer NIR+blue. I guess they'll both work.
But what I can't understand is the following:
If I replace the original lens with a lens without the original IR-blocking filter (or maybe I can just remove the IR-blocking filter from my lens), I will end up with a camera receiving all wave lengths. This will give me the pinkish pictures. Now I can screw on a filter on the FRONT of the X3 for my particular application. So I can add a NIR+red for NDVI or a IR-blocking filter and capture regular RGB images again. All without removing and refocussing the lens again.
This idea looks too good to be true, why is this not done yet or am I missing something? Are these 'screw on' front filters for sale in IR-blocking and NIR+red (or blue)?
Please give me your thoughts on this.

I would like to know as well- $1300 for an NDVI X3 isn't totally ridiculous, but I'd rather spend less if I get similar functionality. I see 1000tvl FPV cameras specifically made for NDVI applications, but they want you to send your Inspire in to be "retrofitted". No way am I sending my Inspire anywhere if I can help it- there must be a better way...

Hello fellow Inspire fans,

I am going to convert my X3 to NDVI specs. I read all the pros and cons, it's not perfect I know.
Some offer NIR+red lenses, others offer NIR+blue. I guess they'll both work.
But what I can't understand is the following:
If I replace the original lens with a lens without the original IR-blocking filter (or maybe I can just remove the IR-blocking filter from my lens), I will end up with a camera receiving all wave lengths. This will give me the pinkish pictures. Now I can screw on a filter on the FRONT of the X3 for my particular application. So I can add a NIR+red for NDVI or a IR-blocking filter and capture regular RGB images again. All without removing and refocussing the lens again.
This idea looks too good to be true, why is this not done yet or am I missing something? Are these 'screw on' front filters for sale in IR-blocking and NIR+red (or blue)?
Please give me your thoughts on this.
Anyone have more info on this? I'm thinking of getting the red+nir lens conversion to do ndvi as I have a spare x3 sitting around not being used.

They also offer orange and cyan etc, can anyone clarify what's best for different applications?

Hi!
Did you end up doing this conversion?
I also have a spare x3 and was interested in trying to make it amplify IR light.

I have previously removed the IR filter from a sony bullet cam to make a "night vision" rifle scope which worked quite well (with a mounted IR torch).

Thanks!
Dan

Hi!
I also have a spare x3 and was interested in trying to make it amplify IR light.

I have previously removed the IR filter from a sony bullet cam to make a "night vision" rifle scope which worked quite well (with a mounted IR torch).

Thanks!
Dan
Not sure you will have much luck on this as the OP posted this on 25th Jan 2017 and has not logged on since April of the same year!

You might have better luck sending a PM direct to him.

Hi!

Thanks!
Dan

Two services I considered.
It’s about $300 for the X3 conversion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry