Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot App 1.1.2 issued

Thought my Air 2 was fine but then I went out flying at sunrise yesterday. When I tried press the sliders icon to access full manual camera controls nothing would happen. The sliders would turn blue but the settings would not pop up on the left hand side of the app. I then tried my iPhone 6 and that worked fine. Both devices are on the latest release. Next I put the iPad air 2 back on and flew for 2 batteries shooting about 30 of the 5 bracketed shots. Went home after flying and found out the bracket shots were not working either despite showing on the iPad screen and making the 5 shutter release sounds.

Here's how I fixed this issue.
- closed all apps and
- deleted the DJI Pilot App from the iPad
- Rebooted
- Installed the Pilot app and did not launch it
- Rebooted
- Tested

Everything is working fine.....For now.

Bill

Did you not loose your history of your flights? I know they backup to the cloud somewhere, not sure how that bit works though, when you're logged in to they just appear again?

Did you not loose your history of your flights? I know they backup to the cloud somewhere, not sure how that bit works though, when you're logged in to they just appear again?

All my flights synced back to my iPad as soon as I logged into the "User Center" and then clicked middle icon for the "Flight Record" section and then clicked on the cloud icon in the top right of the screen.

Reactions: Moleyb
After further testing between iOS 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, I am still getting reboot and video communication errors on 1.1.2, whilst 1.1.1 runs fine. Happens with and without hardware acceleration enabled on the iPad. I do not have other apps loaded when flying, have nothing unusual installed on the iPad 2 128 Gb, and I run in airplane mode. So, on my system there is something weird with 1.1.2.

After further testing between iOS 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, I am still getting reboot and video communication errors on 1.1.2, whilst 1.1.1 runs fine. Happens with and without hardware acceleration enabled on the iPad. I do not have other apps loaded when flying, have nothing unusual installed on the iPad 2 128 Gb, and I run in airplane mode. So, on my system there is something weird with 1.1.2.

Why are you running in Airplane mode? The iOS app works much better with a full connection to the Internet during flight, if you have cellular or Wifi available. It was designed to work that way and take full advantage of any available connectivity.

Hi, that's interesting. I have always assumed it was better to keep the radio spectrum as clear as possible.So on my check list is turn off my phone, and turn off all radio functions on the iPad and cache the maps beforehand. What do others do?

Seems to me the iPad is a smart screen, and the GPS and other functions comes from the DJI kit. But happy to be corrected.

I will try next time and see if that makes a difference to 1.1.2. Appreciated your comment.

Hey MoleyB,

I just noticed one important thing about the app history. When I re-installed the app and everything was working fine I forgot to login under the user area before my first two flights last Sunday morning. The history was not saved on those two flights. So make sure you login after a re-install or you will not save flights data.

Thanks
Bill

Reactions: Moleyb
Hi, that's interesting. I have always assumed it was better to keep the radio spectrum as clear as possible.So on my check list is turn off my phone, and turn off all radio functions on the iPad and cache the maps beforehand. What do others do?

I always fly with my iPad fully operational. Usually using cellular for its Internet connection. If you don't have a cellular model, you can tether it to a nearby iPhone or other Internet source. Not only that, I have a full cell phone strapped right to the bird, in the form of an RF-16V GPS locater. The locater is an independent GPS receiver, continuously transmitting position updates back through (in my case) the AT&T cellular network.

If DJI thought there was going to be a problem leaving the Internet connection turned on, they would say something about turning it off during flight, but they do not. Plus they produce software to stream live video back from the AC while in flight. How could you do that if you did not have the iPad connected to the Internet? There are not even suggestions or restrictions on flying in the presence of other UAV, even other Inspire 1's in the immediate vicinity.

The Inspire 1 was designed to be used while connected. Using the Internet during flight is one of the main features of the product and some other product features depend on it. I don't know why anyone would consider turning it off during normal flight.

........ I don't know why anyone would consider turning it off during normal flight.

The same reason commercial airlines ask you to turn off or put your mobile devices info airplane mode during flight.
It SHOULDN'T interfere with any equipment (in theory) but airlines are not prepared to take that chance and knowing how unpredictable rf can be with harmonics, intermodulation and AGC circuits getting swamped - nor do I.

The same reason commercial airlines ask you to turn off or put your mobile devices info airplane mode during flight.
It SHOULDN'T interfere with any equipment (in theory) but airlines are not prepared to take that chance and knowing how unpredictable rf can be with harmonics, intermodulation and AGC circuits getting swamped - nor do I.

Actually the *main* reason they wanted you to turn off your cell phones in aircraft was because early model analog sets interfered with cell networks on the ground, over a very wide range, like hundreds of miles. It never had anything to do with interfering with the aircraft, even though their announcements claim it did. In fact that restriction has recently been relaxed (at least here in .us), such that some aircraft actually support cell phone usage on board with network attached cell sites on board (pretty annoying IMO). Use of Wifi on board has become a source of revenue.

Still banned on transatlantic flights though.

At the end of the day, you may choose to use 2.4ghz equipment in close proximity to your only control device commanding a 3kg aircraft in the air and that is your choice and I respect that.
I prefer not to take that risk and take a possible 'unknown' out of the equation and it forms part of my safety pre start up checklist for my ops manual which has been approved by the CAA for commercial operations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG