Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware updates

Reaction score
Here's an idea dji - provide more warning on firmware updates or maybe provide some sort of regular frequency as opposed to as soon as you feel l ike it.

I'm tired of getting to a job and there ane of of the firmware updates. It is ridiculous how offer fW is updated.

At least if you knew that say any firmware will only be distributed at12 :00 PT on a Monday.

That way you could make sure not to schedule jobs or at least reduce the impact on updating on the job.

Reactions: FlyGuy-2 and jlrsn
Just don’t update when asked. That is what the forums are for. Let other people do it first so you know what to expect.

Here's an idea dji - provide more warning on firmware updates or maybe provide some sort of regular frequency as opposed to as soon as you feel l ike it.

I'm tired of getting to a job and there ane of of the firmware updates. It is ridiculous how offer fW is updated.

At least if you knew that say any firmware will only be distributed at12 :00 PT on a Monday.

That way you could make sure not to schedule jobs or at least reduce the impact on updating on the job.
That isn't possible due to the nature of how updates are rolled out and the necessity for the PM to sign off before any update goes live.

If you have a job scheduled, simple - do not up date until after the job is completed and then you can update and test fly and sign off the aircraft as fit for next mission.
No commercial operator in their right mind would update on location immediately prior to undertaking a mission/job/shoot.

Incidentally - This forum is not affiliated with DJI.

But when you have an error which are common you need to update to try and eliminate. Also don't see why that isn't Computer companies do this

But remember, your jobs aren't really what's important, at least not to DJI. After all, you've got more important things to do, like take their **** safety quiz to waste 10 minutes of your time the next time you have a time-critical job. You wouldn't want to actually use your time to earn (anyone other than DJI) money, would you?
"firmware update" - noun, something that removes capabilities and adds undesired side effects
I'm still waiting for hackers to steal DJI's source code or digital signing key so we can finally unlock the **** thing and actually control what we spent all this money on. I can always dream, right?

I don't think anyone at DJI thinks: you know these people that buy our products use them to make money and when they show up for a job and the drone doesn't work because of some firmware issue that takes 3 to 4 hours to solve while the client get angrier and angrier because their time is being wasted and then the DJI customer loses not only his income but also his reputation screwed up by really poor software-development that shows no rhyme or reason to an update update process.

What is dji process for software release ? They obviously don't have one it's just error found fix that error push firmware out and don't consider anything implications. I contacted this support a week ago about the GPS module not working and nothing no response. The unfortunate thing is that they really don't have a competitor

If you think DJI is bad, then you should've tried IBM minicomputers in the 90's and 00s :D

IBM would issue software updates called PTF's - Program Temporary Fixes. They where a joke in the industry as IBM engineers would Issue a PTF to fix the PTF that broke the previous PTF. Used to do our heads in as we had to test every PTF on a test system before applying it to our live systems. Led to lots of hours wasted testing things when our ERP system had a fix that we needed, but which needed a particular level of PTF before we could install it - and you try getting Accounts, Payroll, Sales, Production, Warehousing and HR to test their bits each time.

In the main, DJI has a long way to go to catch up with IBM and their PTF's :D, but it would be nice if the pre-tested their firmware and DJI Go releases a little more comprehensively ;)

If you have auto software updates turned on on your flight phones/tablets, then turn it off, and don't click yes/apply every time DJI Go says there's an update to do. Do it in your own chosen time, and when there's not a critical project in hand, and test it out on a couple of batteries after doing it.

Exactly my point - I never update firmware on any of my working platforms until I have a window of opportunity to apply the update and thoroughly test the aircraft (usually half a dozen flights) before I will sign it off for service.
Updating in the field immediately before a job is lunacy!

I'm pretty sure all DJI cares about is making as much money as possible, and as near as I can tell, that means selling toys to morons that have no business using them (think Spark). I bet for every Inspire2 they sell 1000 Sparks. And not that I care so much about that, but the I2 is "supposed" to be a pro rig (or so all the shills on RCG tell me), but seriously, would a pro tool that is used mostly by folks (like myself) that are Part 107 licensed really need to make you take a quiz before you can use it? And this almost a year after you bought it?
The I2 is a decent tool, but it has so many little nits that just piss me off to no end, and the worst part is, they're all easily fixed if only DJI actually cared about their end users instead of a quick buck. Just my opinion.

What about when you are forced to update because you want to fly at an airport? No choice. Commercial / Government client, all permissions in place. 100% authorization with a tried and tested system... but you can't unlock without updating to a potentially sketchy and completely untested new update. uuuggggh, FML

But remember, your jobs aren't really what's important, at least not to DJI. After all, you've got more important things to do, like take their **** safety quiz to waste 10 minutes of your time the next time you have a time-critical job. You wouldn't want to actually use your time to earn (anyone other than DJI) money, would you?
"firmware update" - noun, something that removes capabilities and adds undesired side effects
I'm still waiting for hackers to steal DJI's source code or digital signing key so we can finally unlock the **** thing and actually control what we spent all this money on. I can always dream, right?
That was done months ago, you are a bit behind.

but seriously, would a pro tool that is used mostly by folks (like myself) that are Part 107 licensed really need to make you take a quiz before you can use it? And this almost a year after you bought it?
I've had my I2 for a week and never seen a quiz. Is it regionally required? (I'm in Australia)

USA only for starters, but it seems they will do it worldwide soon enough
I JUST UPDATED YESTERDAY AND NO QUIZ WAS OFFERED TO ME. I was on a job with no restricted airspace where I have flown before and it would not let me fly. I never have figured out why as all the screens, compass, IMU and other stuff looked ok. It would not connect to the drone but did connect to the camera. After the update it connects but now I have to fly it and regain confidence that my bird ain't gonna go bye bye.

This software works in misterious ways, after I updated all I keep getting “aircraft disconnected” message even after image appears. At first no connection at all, reboot, black screen, for too long to feel confortable, then all normal. Played to make sure all controls worked and flew better than ever with best reception range to date with no dropouts al all jus a couple of momentary freezes. I’m sure the ambient temperature had a lot to do with it as now we are around low 80s as opposed to high nineties when at 3000 max my video was going to hell but maybe firmware has also solved my kinks. So far so good I can’t complaint.

This software works in misterious ways, after I updated all I keep getting “aircraft disconnected” message even after image appears. At first no connection at all, reboot, black screen, for too long to feel confortable, then all normal. Played to make sure all controls worked and flew better than ever with best reception range to date with no dropouts al all jus a couple of momentary freezes. I’m sure the ambient temperature had a lot to do with it as now we are around low 80s as opposed to high nineties when at 3000 max my video was going to hell but maybe firmware has also solved my kinks. So far so good I can’t complaint.
That's what happened to me on the previous update. I updated it using wifi and let the drone do its thing after several reboots it finally connected . My Phantom 3 pro has never had these problems with updates. We have to pay more and have become beta testers. Now I use the assistant software but don't think it to be any better. Shame on DJI !!

Exactly my point - I never update firmware on any of my working platforms until I have a window of opportunity to apply the update and thoroughly test the aircraft (usually half a dozen flights) before I will sign it off for service.
Updating in the field immediately before a job is lunacy!
Is not the up date required by FAA.. I am pretty sure while your flying commercial - The FAA quires you to have the latest up date -or you may be in violation.. Did they change that requirement/ruling ???

Is not the up date required by FAA.. I am pretty sure while your flying commercial - The FAA quires you to have the latest up date -or you may be in violation.. Did they change that requirement/ruling ???
Never been such a requirement by FAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44