Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

firmware upgrade problem

Reaction score
Can someone help me, i'm trying to upgrade my inspire 1 control and drone, I've downloaded the firmware and loaded it onto a flash drive, plug it into a fully charged remote, turn the remote on and wait for firm ware to load onto control and nothing happens, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. can someone please help

Last edited:
IS the firmware in the root file of your Sd card ? meaning when you first open the card thats where you would place it. not inside any folders on your card.? if so then to do the inspire 1 insert the card into the camera with it off turn on your remote control turn on the inspire open the dii app and follow the instructions. it should prompt you to upgrade. for the remote itself leave the inspire on turn your remote off insert your usb stick into the remote with the same file you used for the inspire turn on remote it should start the process automatically by blinking blue light. when finishes solid green. make sure you don't have the props on for safety reasons.

IS the firmware in the root file of your Sd card ? meaning when you first open the card thats where you would place it. not inside any folders on your card.? if so then to do the inspire 1 insert the card into the camera with it off turn on your remote control turn on the inspire open the dii app and follow the instructions. it should prompt you to upgrade. for the remote itself leave the inspire on turn your remote off insert your usb stick into the remote with the same file you used for the inspire turn on remote it should start the process automatically by blinking blue light. when finishes solid green. make sure you don't have the props on for safety reasons.

hey thanks for the info i don't have a micro sd card reader i guess i'll have to go to the store and get one hopefully this will solve my problem

Same problem I don't anything about root files I installed firmware on sd card saw Niue line loading put it in aircraft let run and nothing. Then tried cable turned aircraft on waited for camera to stop moving then put cable in camera and camera started moving and bagging againest cable then I pulled cable out I don't get it I don't know much about computers I have a f550 and phantom can anybody help 65 yr old viet nam vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same problem I don't anything about root files I installed firmware on sd card saw Niue line loading put it in aircraft let run and nothing. Then tried cable turned aircraft on waited for camera to stop moving then put cable in camera and camera started moving and bagging againest cable then I pulled cable out I don't get it I don't know much about computers I have a f550 and phantom can anybody help 65 yr old viet nam vet

Part of the problem we are having helping you is that your posts have a large number of unintelligible sentences. What does "Niue line loading" mean?
I'm not sure if Tapatalk is part of the problem, but maybe you could use a different way to type.

When you unzip the firmware, you have to extract the bin file and put it on the SD card as a standalone file, not into any of the folders on the card. That's what it means to put it in the root directory.

As far as the RC firmware update, using the USB to mini USB connecting the controller to the camera itself is not a good idea, as you pointed out that the camera does a lot of moving around during update. If you have a card reader that can accept a microSD card or at least a microSD to SD adapter, then you can use the USB output from that card reader to connect to the RC controller without being connected to the camera.

Read the instructions again with the above in mind and try it again. If you're still having problems, let me know and we'll figure out a way to get you through this, OK?

BTW, I'm 67 and a Nam Vet myself. ;)

Place the downloaded file into the memory card that came with the Inspire inside the camera.

If you don't have a micro card adapter / reader. Attached the supplied USB cables to the gimbal and use it as a drive.

I've had problems with other cards but the one supplied by DJI worked perfectly.

3 Min to update Tx and 8 min for the I1.

Hey thanks!!! I followed your instructions and I was able to upgrade my inspire 1 and remote. Just want to say thaks for your help.

I am having a problem. I placed the .bin file in the root directory and the inspire began its update. About 65% done I got an error stating ( update has failed please try again ) Now when I place the memory card in the inspire and start it up, the inspire does not recognize that it needs an upgrade and I no longer receive the update warning on the pilot program.

I am afraid to fly it without receiving a notice that the firmware updated properly.

Can anyone help ?

I am having a problem. I placed the .bin file in the root directory and the inspire began its update. About 65% done I got an error stating ( update has failed please try again ) Now when I place the memory card in the inspire and start it up, the inspire does not recognize that it needs an upgrade and I no longer receive the update warning on the pilot program.

I am afraid to fly it without receiving a notice that the firmware updated properly.

Can anyone help ?

Look at the text file on the card that logs the updates. That may give you some idea of what went wrong, or whether the update is in fact complete. If that doesn't help, I suggest giving DJI Tech Support hotline a call.

Thanks quadpilot for the response. The text file simply reads " canceled " ... I have reformatted the sd card and re downloaded the firmware but still nothing. I have requested help from DJI but you have to give your number and they will call back within an hour. So I will keep you informed.

Reactions: wriv
I heard it mentioned that you have to delete the prior update firmware from the included micro card in the camera too. This surprises me and I wonder if that was an isolated incident. The card is usually completely empty when you first look at it right? No prior firmware on it?

I heard it mentioned that you have to delete the prior update firmware from the included micro card in the camera too. This surprises me and I wonder if that was an isolated incident. The card is usually completely empty when you first look at it right? No prior firmware on it?

It's suggested that you delete the firmware after doing the upgrade. If you have to update several batteries, of course you need to do them all before deleting the firmware file off the card. I would always make sure to format the card prior to loading a firmware update onto the card. No, there should not be anything on the included card when you get delivery, but formatting makes sure of that, right?

Shockwave, there was no firmware on the card prior to my initial copy and install but after the fail it left a text file that stated simply canceled. I have reformatted the card using the inspire and tried again but it thinks the update has been done and is no longer looking for the firmware so it just starts up as normal. I no longer get the warning of the need to update when I start the pilot app. Just don't want to fly without conformation.

Shockwave, there was no firmware on the card prior to my initial copy and install but after the fail it left a text file that stated simply canceled. I have reformatted the card using the inspire and tried again but it thinks the update has been done and is no longer looking for the firmware so it just starts up as normal. I no longer get the warning of the need to update when I start the pilot app. Just don't want to fly without conformation.

This has been discussed with some DJI Forum reps on RCG: the cancelled status means that the firmware update process is cancelled because the firmware is up to date, not that it failed. It's a question of poor semantics. It would be helpful if the app would display firmware version and it has been suggested that DJI update the app to include that.

Yes but I received a " failed " message on the pilot app during the firmware update. It stated " firmware update failed - please try again. "

Yes but I received a " failed " message on the pilot app during the firmware update. It stated " firmware update failed - please try again. "

Then download the update again to a formatted card, keep the controller and app powered off, place the card in the Inspire camera, power Inspire up, and let it update on it's own. If it finishes with a "Da...DaDa" sound, it has finished upgrading. Power Inspire down, turn on RC and app, power Inspire up and see if that helps.

It's suggested that you delete the firmware after doing the upgrade. If you have to update several batteries, of course you need to do them all before deleting the firmware file off the card. I would always make sure to format the card prior to loading a firmware update onto the card. No, there should not be anything on the included card when you get delivery, but formatting makes sure of that, right?

My unit came with a firmware loaded in the memory card.
The firmware was the one just prior to the latest one now.
It was a 30 DEC 2014 production version (stamped on the box)

Good to see DJI is updating firmware as they roll out of the factory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry