Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First Flight test - and noted landing video-corruption issue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Please review my first flight test here:

I have the dual remotes but only used one. Single battery - and shot in 1080p 25

I have had a couple of takeoffs and landings since then where - if I am recording when I land - the file corrupts. This happens every time. I need to stop recording before landing to avoid this. Anyone else experience this?

Could it be deliberate to prevent crash footage?

Reactions: Drone Mastery
Hi guys,

I have the dual remotes but only used one. Single battery - and shot in 1080p 25

I have had a couple of takeoffs and landings since then where - if I am recording when I land - the file corrupts. This happens every time. I need to stop recording before landing to avoid this. Anyone else experience this?

I believe you are not stopping the recording before you shut down, Put the card back in, turn record on then off again and then you will have your video that you recorded. Hope this helps. Happy Flying

Hi guys,

I recognise Glasgow and the Clyde. I will have a look at your video.

You only need to stop recording before you power down the I1. If you forget, simply re-insert the MicroSd card in the camera and power up again. This will correctly close any 'corrupted' files.

Hi BrightBeam

You have captured some great images of the Glasgow Science Centre and the River Clyde at dawn. However, I have several concerns that you really need to take on board before the Polis come knocking on your door.

First, I can't see where you are operating from but you need to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) with the I1 at all times. I can see several obstructions from various possible position that would stop this. Also I know from personal experience that many of these areas are private property and have been chased away by security with a normal camera on the ground.

Secondly, you at one point are above the height of the tower which is 127m tall. The maximum allowable height is 120m (400ft).

Finally and more serious. Most of Glasgow city falls within the ATC Control Zone (CTR) for Glasgow airport which is Class D airspace that runs from the surface to 6000ft. You are also close to the Glasgow City Heliport where the Police and Ambulance operate from. You need express ATC permission to fly your I1 in this airspace. You are unlikely to get such clearance unless you hold a PFAW and maybe not then.

You will need to travel some distance outside the city before you can find a clear area to fly. Download the free SkyDemonLite app to see what I mean.

Hi Scot, thanks for your input. I actually live across the water from the tower in a private estate (canting way) with great views and open space. Line of sight was always maintained - I always operate with VLOS so have no idea where you assume you can see the obstructions.

The I1 was even visible over the trees behind where I live for the entire first shot from where I was standing to capture it - but I appreciate your concern.

I had set the inspire altitude limit set to 122 meters and left it in GPS mode to stick to this ceiling. The Glasgow tower's height is measured to the tip of the spire. The observation deck is at 105m (344 feet) I was at no point flying higher than the tower i.e. the spire in the way you describe and stuck to the 400ft limit.

I appreciate the note about the ATC control zone. From my understanding of the materials I have read - I thought that notifying the air traffic service provider is strongly recommended in this area for aircraft under 7KG as long as you operate <400ft vertically, within line of site and in accordance to CAP393 and not permissible for aircraft over 7KG in controlled airspace - and I also thought they would have told me if there was an issue when I called the day before. I may have missed something. Do you have anything you can link to for reading? I'd like to avoid any mistakes where possible.

Anyway - it was a great bit of kit to fly and I'll be getting some more practice over the next few weeks. Will keep your comments in mind.

Currently booked in for the Heliguy DJI-specific course on the 27th to get qualified on this platform.

The inspire is great, a big difference in maneuverability and ease of use to the Tarot T15 I've used for other shoots. The only compromise is the camera. Would love to put an A7r or similar on there. Hopefully DJI will release an upgrade. The Matice looks promising but not having a retractable landing gear is an issue.

Drone Mastery - thanks for the tip - this is what prompted me to post in the first place. I will try reinserting the microSD card and switching back on next time :)

Reactions: Drone Mastery
Hi Scot, thanks for your input. I actually live across the water from the tower in a private estate (canting way) with great views and open space. Line of sight was always maintained - I always operate with VLOS so have no idea where you assume you can see the obstructions.

The I1 was even visible over the trees behind where I live for the entire first shot from where I was standing to capture it - but I appreciate your concern.

I had set the inspire altitude limit set to 122 meters and left it in GPS mode to stick to this ceiling. The Glasgow tower's height is measured to the tip of the spire. The observation deck is at 105m (344 feet) I was at no point flying higher than the tower i.e. the spire in the way you describe and stuck to the 400ft limit.

I appreciate the note about the ATC control zone. From my understanding of the materials I have read - I thought that notifying the air traffic service provider is strongly recommended in this area for aircraft under 7KG as long as you operate <400ft vertically, within line of site and in accordance to CAP393 and not permissible for aircraft over 7KG in controlled airspace - and I also thought they would have told me if there was an issue when I called the day before. I may have missed something. Do you have anything you can link to for reading? I'd like to avoid any mistakes where possible.

Anyway - it was a great bit of kit to fly and I'll be getting some more practice over the next few weeks. Will keep your comments in mind.

Currently booked in for the Heliguy DJI-specific course on the 27th to get qualified on this platform.

The inspire is great, a big difference in maneuverability and ease of use to the Tarot T15 I've used for other shoots. The only compromise is the camera. Would love to put an A7r or similar on there. Hopefully DJI will release an upgrade. The Matice looks promising but not having a retractable landing gear is an issue.

Drone Mastery - thanks for the tip - this is what prompted me to post in the first place. I will try reinserting the microSD card and switching back on next time :)
Hi BrightBeam

What a location to live in with such great views. When you advertised it as your 'first flight test' it did not convey the experience you obviously have. I apologise. Towards the end of the video I was sure I could see the spire in the bottom right of the picture.

Your understanding on sub-7kg users being 'strongly recommended' to contact ATC is correct and should be treated as a 'must' which you obviously did by speaking to them. My main concern would be the heliport directly across the river from you. Did you speak to them?

Good luck on your course at Heliguy. Their premises are well hidden and unmarked with restricted parking.

Hey Scott,

Sorry about that, I've flown other platforms before, but this was my first flight with the Inspire.

I do have to put my hand up and say I didn't speak to Bond Air Services (cool name) that operate the heliport further down the river. They have an email form on their website to get in touch which I used but I couldn't find a working number and was itching to fly. Still haven't heard back from them.

On a side note - I think the Scottish ambulance service helicopter has changed its base to the new southern general hospital (fantastic new build) so the heliport is being used primarily by the Police Air Support unit.

Another gripe is the occasional lag in the app I've now began using a HDMI monitor for composition and am taking off / landing manually - using the app for reference only. I need to find a second arm attachment for the remote to hold the additional monitor as well as the iPad instead of mounting it on a light stand. Very tempted to tap a 3/4" thread into the controller (or the top portion of the tablet holder) as a mod.

Thanks, looking forward to it :)

Hi guys,

BTW BrightBeam.... Beautiful Work!

Reactions: BrightBeam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379