Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flat RAW / DNG files from X5S (still photography)

Good question. There's a part of me that wants my Nikon D810 with my favorite lens - the 14-24mm in the air.

There's also a part of me that doesn't want the additional hassle. The I2 is so much fun to fly, and handles so well, that I don't want to lose that enjoyment. With other technologies before, I've pushed the envelope, ultimately only to be dissapointed in the long run when the additional inconveniences became overly burdensome.

I am really serious about Photoshop editing, and have been for almost two decades. From a personal perspective, I have produced some of what I consider really incredible shots with the X5S. The additional steps to get those images precisely where I want them is actually enjoyable. I also use an upres plugin to save the X5S tifs at 12x8 at 650 dpi. If that isn't large enough for my purposes, I can always stitch images together.

You should know that even with the Nikon or the Hasselblad, I typically spend 10-15 minutes or longer on each photo. I've never been a jpeg shooter. As a creative photographer, post-processing has always been part of the art form, and it is worth the time to master. It is not so different from color grading log video.

Honestly in the final analysis, the X5S is not as great as the Nikon. Yet, for me, the X5S is also not an obstacle.

I've heard members of the forum comment that the X5S colors do not appear real. I challenge two serious photographers to agree on a color preference. While dedicated photographers are always lusting after better quality and the next step in technology, it remains truly mind-boggling how impressive the X5S actually is.

Frankly I'm not expecting reality. I want far more, and depending on the mood and the look I'm after, I've learned to post process from sublime to HDR. There is not a jpeg that I've seen that would satisfy me.

Ultimately, I'm certain many will disagree with my conclusions. Bottom line is simple- you have to decide what type of photographer you are, and try it for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Good question. There's a part of me that wants my Nikon D810 with my favorite lens - the 14-24mm in the air.

There's also a part of me that doesn't want the additional hassle. The I2 is so much fun to fly, and handles so well, that I don't want to lose that enjoyment. With other technologies before, I've pushed the envelope, ultimately only to be dissapointed in the long run when the additional inconveniences became overly burdensome.

I am really serious about Photoshop editing, and have been for almost two decades. From a personal perspective, I have produced some of what I consider really incredible shots with the X5S. The additional steps to get those images precisely where I want them is actually enjoyable. I also use an upres plugin to save the X5S tifs at 12x8 at 650 dpi. If that isn't large enough for my purposes, I can always stitch images together.

You should know that even with the Nikon or the Hasselblad, I typically spend 10-15 minutes or longer on each photo. I've never been a jpeg shooter. As a creative photographer, post-processing has always been part of the art form, and it is worth the time to master. It is not so different from color grading log video.

Honestly in the final analysis, the X5S is not as great as the Nikon. Yet, for me, the X5S is also not an obstacle.

I've heard members of the forum comment that the X5S colors do not appear real. I challenge two serious photographers to agree on a color preference. While dedicated photographers are always lusting after better quality and the next step in technology, it remains truly mind-boggling how impressive the X5S actually is.

Frankly I'm not expecting reality. I want far more, and depending on the mood and the look I'm after, I've learned to post process from sublime to HDR. There is not a jpeg that I've seen that would satisfy me.

Ultimately, I'm certain many will disagree with my conclusions. Bottom line is simple- you have to decide what type of photographer you are, and try it for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Best post ever. Nikon rules. [emoji4]. I too shoot a D810 as well as a D500 and often a Leica Q. All three produce better images but guess what? I don't care. I'm having fun flying my I2 and taking decent images that are very printable. Some just need something to complain about. Nothing will ever be good enough for these people. Soooooo I take my big piece of metal, carbon fiber, glass and plastic and take to the sky. I give very little credence to the moaners here.

Hi mate, can't see what the previous chap did - is this any better for you?

Dropbox - DJI_0005.jpg

It's probably a bit over saturated now, but it feels like the colour is about right here.

* missed some CA in conservatory roof - is it from the Oly 12mm?

Hi Benjo,

Thanks for the retouched file.

Everyone's style and preferences are different, but I do agree yours is a bit over saturated and a little yellow, as the trees and shrubs are very green in true life.

I think I now have the conversion sussed. I am adding a lot of green in the hue / saturation sliders in Adobe raw conversion. also upping green in the luminance.

The lens was Oly 45mm.

All the best,

Michael.

Sounds like you are UK based?

Thought those houses looked like they were in the South West! Family is down in Bath and Bristol :)

Is this a hobby for you or a job?

After reading all the threads regarding X5S image quality for still photography, I feel like it might be worth waiting 1 more generation before committing to purchasing a camera drone. I am looking for stills only, no video, and would like to make a 5 or more year investment when spending this kind of money. The impression I get is the camera is good, but not great for still photography. Also, that it's a step up from the previous generation. I have high demands for image quality. My work is made to be printed at larger sizes, most of my shots are stitches.

Reactions: rent
After reading all the threads regarding X5S image quality for still photography, I feel like it might be worth waiting 1 more generation before committing to purchasing a camera drone. I am looking for stills only, no video, and would like to make a 5 or more year investment when spending this kind of money. The impression I get is the camera is good, but not great for still photography. Also, that it's a step up from the previous generation. I have high demands for image quality. My work is made to be printed at larger sizes, most of my shots are stitches.

The problem you have is that the camera is M4/3. It is actually very good for the image quality that it produces. I shoot with a Nikon D810, D500, and Leica Q. All deliver much better image quality then the X5S, but and this is a big but in my opinion, the X5s delivers outstanding quality consider that it is a flying camera. Unless DJI (with the help of Hasselblad) steps up their game significantly, and by a few thousand dollars, cameras in the X5s image quality range are probably all we will be stuck with, which isn't terrible in my opinion. With that said, I do agree with much of your premise.

Hi there, I think we have good news here!
Some weeks ago I have been very unhappy with the strange shift of hue and saturation between the DNG files and the JPEG files of the Zenmuse X5s.
With the latest Firmware update (V01.01.0010) they have fixed the color profile of the DNG files. (tested in ACR and C1)
This is great news to me, I hated having to apply a default hue correction to each and every photo.
Many greetings,
Stephan

Comparison.jpg

The impression I get is the camera is good, but not great for still photography.
It is M4/3 - with all of the implications. The difference between the Inspire files and my D810 files is there, and it is big. The key is careful focussing, and very precise exposure to avoid clipped highlights (primary) and too dark shadows (secondary). Then you have to apply more (but careful) sharpening to the files to obtain the desired visual impact.
My current exhibition "90° Greenland" consists solely of Zenmuse X5-Photos, printed up to 70x70 cm. (non stitched)
Those fine art prints need very good files, but I had no problems with the image quality. Since then, I've also made some larger prints up to 1m.
(As I said, the post processing is different from the Nikon D810 FX format files.)
Kind regards,
Stephan

Some of the photos are on 1x:
Ilulissat Fishing Harbour by Stephan Fürnrohr

Just an iphone-snapshot from the gallery:
IMG_0134_1200.jpg

Last few flights I got this "flat DNG" issue too. I didn't make any changes except possible iPad DJI Go 4 update. Inspire 2 firmware is latest today 3.4.2018. Did you guys notice any changes recently? My camera is X5S and lens 45mm Olympus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell