Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Forced to Upgrade Firmware and I don't want to! any way to avoid?

Reaction score
Website
www.worldmediafilm.com
Hey fellow pilots, so I have been unable to fly my inspire 1 for a couple of weeks since a slight flyaway caused a discussion between a prop and a branch at about 1.5 metres up. it resulted in two bust props and a camera gimbal ribbon cable break.
The flyaway caused the fall but in all honesty I was too close to a small gap in the trees and we have to plan for failure right! so I assume a fair proportion of the blame. Had it happened in clear space at altitude I could have recovered it!
So my dilemma is this. New camera @$550 and new style props finally arrive to me in Jamaica tonight, the Inspire is already showing me that upgrades are needed.
i need my Inspire to fly, i use it for film projects and having read all the reports on here I am scared shitless that I will be forced to upgrade the FW and end up with a brick. i bought the new camera myself rather than wait to send it back to DJI for six weeks. i really couldn't take another 6 weeks or more for something i was forced to do by DJI.

Anyone have any thoughts on . .....
A) can I avoid doing the upgrade
B) if I can avoid it then should I?

Thanks

Follow the steps to a T and you should be fine. Remember, you are on a forum. People rarely post positive outcomes, so you are only hearing the negative. I have always followed the instructions and updated hassle free. Beside, the fix to the GPS lock alone is worth the update. I can honestly say this update has made my machine much more stabile.

Follow the steps to a T and you should be fine. Remember, you are on a forum. People rarely post positive outcomes, so you are only hearing the negative. I have always followed the instructions and updated hassle free. Beside, the fix to the GPS lock alone is worth the update. I can honestly say this update has made my machine much more stabile.
i understand, I completed the previous upgrade without issue, I just know I will be so, so, soooooo pissed if this thing bricks and has to go back.

I am not a lover of being forced to do things and the exclusion zones that are added into this upgrade prevent me from flying at airports I currently have full permission to fly at.

i understand, I completed the previous upgrade without issue, I just know I will be so, so, soooooo pissed if this thing bricks and has to go back.

I am not a lover of being forced to do things and the exclusion zones that are added into this upgrade prevent me from flying at airports I currently have full permission to fly at.

I would make a check list. Follow it to a tee. I mean really. I have done the firm ware upgrades but didn't do it the way I wanted to because I was just thinking about it or read ahead. Make a check for each step and you should be good to go.

I hate to say this but if anyone came up with good firmware that could not keep you from operating the inspire 1 I would buy it in a heart beat even though I may never use it. I just don't like the ideal that DJI could shut down every drone at their will.

I hate to say this but if anyone came up with good firmware that could not keep you from operating the inspire 1 I would buy it in a heart beat even though I may never use it. I just don't like the ideal that DJI could shut down every drone at their will.
Totally agree,
I would make a check list. Follow it to a tee. I mean really. I have done the firm ware upgrades but didn't do it the way I wanted to because I was just thinking about it or read ahead. Make a check for each step and you should be good to go.
I am bout to make that check list to try and ensure no errors
UPDATE
So I have the camera and new QR props on the Inspire, it flies well, just like it always has. The app is still showing that I need the upgrade. So I am about to bit the bullet and go for it!

Wish me Luck, keep you posted as it happens

RC first right? Lol just kidding ... I know thats how to screw them up!

Never connect your app to the internet then!

Never connect your app to the internet then!
Seriously can this be done can you turn your app off from the internet and still fly or does it have a time limit that it will only allow you to fly without updated being checked . I wouldn't mind waiting to get an update until I have seen the bugs worked out. I can't use dynamic home point since the last update. Now the smart phone has to be connected to download map of the area. But yes me and probably half the Inspire 1 users would like to know if there is a way to keep the plane from being shut down.

Seriously can this be done can you turn your app off from the internet and still fly or does it have a time limit that it will only allow you to fly without updated being checked . I wouldn't mind waiting to get an update until I have seen the bugs worked out. I can't use dynamic home point since the last update. Now the smart phone has to be connected to download map of the area. But yes me and probably half the Inspire 1 users would like to know if there is a way to keep the plane from being shut down.

If the app doesn't have an active internet connection it will never know that a newer firmware is available. Therefore, it will never prompt you to update the firmware.

Easy way to get around the forced firmware upgrade.

If the app doesn't have an active internet connection it will never know that a newer firmware is available. Therefore, it will never prompt you to update the firmware.

Easy way to get around the forced firmware upgrade.
Although we do not know for sure I would guess that occasionally ET (Inspire) will want to phone home (DJI) just to check in to see if there are any firmware updates.
I have software that wants to do this and there is no option other than to let it call it's Mommy.

I had tried that, I have a tablet that is solely for use with the Inspire, turned off the wifi for it and it never connects to the internet, however the slave controller is connected to my iPhone and.... you've guessed it that connects all the time . I am guessing that the app on the iPhone was notified of the update while the phone was connected to the net.

Notes from the new firmware, the flight was ok but I found out that downtown kingston is no in a restricted are, that sucks, totally sucks and also had a moment when the battery was at ten % I was hovering at 2 metres height about to land when the RTH took over and climbed missing an obstruction by inches. i managed to rest control back but this kind of takeover during flight really freaks me out. Especially around buildings.

Note that at no time did you HAVE to update. It notifies you, but you can always say no as AFAIK this update hasn't been mandatory.

That's your mistake right there :)

I do know that there has been updates that gave you 3 days to update or you could no longer fly your inspire 1. Surly I am not the only one on this site that heard that, I am new here but I thought that was common knowledge among Inspire owners, I don't think DJI advertise that on the specification or anywhere else on their site which I don't think is right that a person should find out the hard way that they can stop you from using something you paid $3000 for at their will.

Last edited:
I do know that there has been updates that gave you 3 days to update or you could no longer fly your inspire 1. Surly I am not the only one on this site that heard that, I am new here but I thought that was common knowledge among Inspire owners, I don't think DJI advertise that on the specification or anywhere else on their site which I don't think is right that a person should find out the hard way that they can stop you from using something you paid $3000 for at their will.
Only if the update is mandatory - ie for safety reasons.
v1.2.0.17 or v1.2.1.0 (current) were not mandatory updates.

Reactions: PB30X and Kilrah
My bird would not fire the motors, and I was FORCED to do an update. Really did NOT want to, as 2 shoots had to be canceled. The Firmware update FAILED, comm between the bird and TX was terminated. Finally was forced to send to DJI. These forced updates are adding yet another Inspire to the 'For Sale' listings, as soon as it is back.

I have had my inspire since the first round and I have had only done one upgrade (until last week), and worked with the old firmware, since it always worked well for me. The app always said I need to upgrade cam, battery, tx, AND quad. I just never did it and never had a problem. It just leaves the little red mark there to spook you until you do.

That being said, I recently did a firmware update as the last one seemed pretty solid and I am pleased. Good luck in Jamaca mon.

Reactions: sirnikolas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop