Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 vs. Phantom 3 vs. 3DR solo

Hi ,

I have a phantom 2 but I need something better i am looking the Inspire 1 mostly because it is more stable in higher winds and the features that has out of the box, i am a little confused about the camera from what i read and see i can’t have a clear conclusion about the camera but i need a footage at least equal to gopro 4.

I am looking around from something similar to Inspire 1 but I can’t find anything that can beat Inspire 1 at this price.

I am very interested in the camera footage because I am shooting for commercial purposes.

Any suggestions or help it would be appreciated.

Sorry for my English i am from Greece.

Try this link, it gives a simple comparison GoPro 4 vs. Sony X3 FC350 vs. Panasonic GH4.

https://compareninja.com/tables/single/84144

For commercial purpose,
You may also want to consider the FOV, and Fish Eye Elimination either by lens filter or attachment, or software provided. Weight and autonomous hoovering stability at high aptitude.

Hi all,

thanks for all your great comments, much appreciated. I have now bought the Inspire 1 and have to say I was blown away by the high quality of the entire package. Everything from very fast shipping to high quality packaging to awesome high end build quality was great. Today I flew the Inspire for the first time outside, and it was rock stable, very easy to fly even for a beginner like me, and pretty good even in fairly strong winds. Great fun.

A couple of issues that won't spoil if for me with the exception of the last two but I hope that there is a simple fix:

1) A little hickup with being forced to sign up and pay via paypal, not straight credit card
2) Still illiterate and non-reactive customer service, pretend to have 24h online assistance but that is just an email with slow response times
3) Not a biggie but annoying that I had to go and buy a micro SD cardholder to upgrade the firmware which prevented me from flying during the only window I had on the first weekend. Of course no issue for a more professional user or anybody really, but they could have just added that in the box.
4) The Inspire was not doing well indoors at the first test where it drifted right away, breaking a propellor on a chair. might be my reflective floor. haven't tested indoor flying since
5) My big issue (and key question): the first videos I took were a) very overexposed (I guess I will need to play with the camera settings) but more critically b) the recording was, while high resolution, very bumpy with many stops / starts, jerking, unclear pics and gaps between short sequences. Either there is a serious issue with my camera or maybe the micro SD card cant save the 4k data quick enough or something like this - has anybody come across this? I bought a new ScanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-1 Card which supposedly can handle everything out there. Many thanks for your tips!

Cheers,
Dom

The inspire was pushed to market way before it was ready. Tons of gimbal problems. Here's what mine is doing

dji inspire camera shake:

Mine was brand new and broken. Calling tech support is now usually 10 people deep and 45 min wait. Warranty and repair service is 5-6 week delay. There is a reason that these services are so backed up.... Lots of these are already broken or defective brand new.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate a few views from experienced users

I am considering buying my first drone but find the tradeoffs between the currently available models quite confusing. DJI's poor customer communication does not help... I am not too concerned about $. Here are my observations so far:

I1: great camera, best camera mobility, best flying characteristics, best looks, no visual distraction through landing gear / props, good case, good new app but no waypoint programming / limited programmed manouvres, uncertain future upgrades / key features eg waypoints, high price, ok battery time

P3: same as I1 with lesser flight characteristics, less fancy looks, limited camera mobility and rotor / gear in pics, but great price, great battery time

3DR Solo: gopro 4k which is great but creates fishbowl effect (can this be overcome?) so inferior video results vs. above models, unknown flight characteristics but probably ok, poor battery time, ok price, big advantage: waypoints and lots of sophisticated flight programming eg orbiting, cable car, true follow me, selfie etc

I'd much appreciate your view. I think if I could be certain that proper waypoint programming and follow me will come to the I1 I'd immediately go for this model and hence find it very disappointing that DJI seems to be unwilling to commit to this feature that in my (possibly naive) view is purely a function of software so could be easily provided?? Why can the P2 do this but not the other models?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Dom
RAGECAM makes lens mods for the GoPro 4. I have used them on the GoPro 3 + Black edition and they are awesome! Flat port, no fisheye. Just need to play with backfocus depending on how sharp you want the farthest detail vs near field sharpness to be. It's a pretty good balance once it's adjusted and easy to adjust. It gives you a screw in lens so you can have several different lens lengths from superwide to almost a 50mm look.

The inspire was pushed to market way before it was ready. Tons of gimbal problems. Here's what mine is doing

dji inspire camera shake:

Mine was brand new and broken. Calling tech support is now usually 10 people deep and 45 min wait. Warranty and repair service is 5-6 week delay. There is a reason that these services are so backed up.... Lots of these are already broken or defective brand new.
Wow that's pretty bad...Have not seen that with either of the 2 Inspires we have. Possible a setting in the DJI Pilot app? Expo curve for Tilt? Might be set to sensitive...

Wow that's pretty bad...Have not seen that with either of the 2 Inspires we have. Possible a setting in the DJI Pilot app? Expo curve for Tilt? Might be set to sensitive...

I tried 2 different controllers, I tried 4 different tablets and mobile devices. I tried android and apple, I tried memory cards, I tried gimbal and IMU calibration, I tried slowing the gimbal down, I tried slow gains, and thru 2 firmware updates and an app update it always did this. So now I'm without for 6 weeks and had to cancel 2 weddings and 3 realty shots. I ordered a P3 pro yesterday so hopefully with 2 of them I can be in business on a regular basis. With my experience I will not own another Inspire unless I start hearing some good stuff about their quality control. When I called to order my P3 I mentioned it was to cover my Broken Inspire and the agent told me the p3 was already shipped to my house, but I hadn't even ordered yet. We were both confused. Turns out someone else was having the same situation and same conclusion.... Going to take a couple to stay in business.

I started flying last year with the P2... definitely recommend that compared to starting out with the I1.. you're going to make mistakes, misjudge distances, winds, battery time, and more than anything learn your limits, develop your pre-flight comfort levels and best practices. The P2 is an excellent training platform and with the camera it also allows you to learn how to set up angles and shots.. of course not nearly as good as either a go-pro or the I1 camera but you can learn so much from the stick time.

I bought 2 I1's recently, one single use and the other dual use.. in a way it makes both available for dual use if needed.. I did this because being in the video business for over 35 years, having a back up in place is what my clients want to hear. I love the way it handles in the air.. I'm just now working thru the gain settings to find my own preferences. And while not everything I'd like to see on the Pilot app is there "yet" i'm confident in the future it will be and this is why....

I attended NAB again this year and I was amazed by the amount of drones being shown at the show.. Drones from the Solo at $1,300 to drones costing over 150K... But more importantly were the serious camera manufacturers jumping into the mini camera market.. Arri, Blackmagic, Panasonic just to name a few.... as well as very light weight VR camera mounts for 6 camera VR shooting. In the Blackmajic booth they were showing their mini cameras on a drone.. as were many other camera companies.. all with superior glass compared to whats out there right now in that size and configuration. Yes there will always being larger drone packages to be used with a DSLR sized lift configs but the day is very near where you'll get high quality cameras in extremely small packages.. FreeFly was showing there new drone where you can mount the camera under or over the props.. very well made and under the 9K price point.. Interesting concept for very different kinds of shots

The point i'm trying to make is competition will force all drone manufacturers to up their game.. including DJI.. this is a huge market change having some very heavy hitters getting into the business.. So this is a great time for any of us to be getting into this business.. even with the FAA hanging over our heads... software hiccups from many manufacturers.. While some choose to look only at the faults within this burgeoning business... I happen to think it's a great time to start learning.. and the P2 served me very well in that respect.

It's all good as they say.. :)

Another thread that could use a strong dose of pentobarbital.

l.jpg

Guys, just received my first two P3's yesterday, adding them to the 4 Insprie1's, 1 s1000 premium and 1 Gaui 950q X8. No extra batteries, props etc. yet available. Sound familiar?
Of all of those machines (except the Gaui, which we use for heavy lifting) the Inspire1 is the better choice for a lot of the production that my company does (mostly shooting cars).
That being said...The new P3 is a massive upgrade from the P2 Vision plus. Andy Knight from DJI told me the camera is the exact same as the I1, just re-housed to fit the P3. Have yet to put the footage side by side and run them through scopes, but they sure look similar.

The P3 has a ton more power and features and will be way more of a threat than people have realized, mainly due to it's smaller form factor. It will never be as good as a two person setup, it's not as fast as the I1, but it is an extremely good machine. As a first quad, it would be an excellent choice for a lot of people. For pro use, especially if you have clients sitting around, the I1's ability to push signal to an external monitor so they can watch what's going on, is a must have. The I1 looks way more impressive, but if it's just you solo shooting somewhere and you are a good enough pilot/shooter, you could do some nice work with the P3. Sorry guys - I wanted to hate it also, but the P3 does not deserve our hatred - It is a well made little brother that has a place in production for sure. Just my two cents, we all know what opinions are like...

Consider yourself lucky! Here in the land of rapidly shrinking freedoms, the FAA "exemptions (under article 333) demand that both the PIC (pilot in command) AND a second observer, keep their eyes on any wavered UAS (Unmanned Aerial System). Hence, if you break this down to the legality of it, there must really be 3 people flying these things to fulfill the measure of these restrictions. The second observer is ONLY that, and I am sure, if push comes to shove, the FAA will ground/prosecute those whom it feels do not strictly follow these guidelines.

At least one applicant who secured a waiver listed 3 personnel, one on camera, including his I1 in the bargain.

At that rate the once inexpensive possibilities of New Aerial shooting are negated (to some degree) by the expense of having — literally — a ground crew. What are these, space shuttles? These are (ours at any rate) not much more than plastic toys, albeit 6+lb ones. The point is, we'll have to wait and see in the U.S. how stringently the FAA holds operators to the letter of the law. They seem able to prosecute a couple of cases and everyone runs scared. So much for the country that dumped the King's Tea in the harbor?!

Who can afford to screw with a hegemony, when that hegemony owns its own brute squad?

Sigh...

You are correct - In order to fly legally (with a two person setup) you must have at least three people in your aerial team. Pilot in charge, AO - MUST have an aviation radio (to clear traffic that may enter that airspace) and then your camera operator. There are no exceptions yet. Ridiculous for many applications, but that's the FAA for you.

Guys, just received my first two P3's yesterday, adding them to the 4 Insprie1's, 1 s1000 premium and 1 Gaui 950q X8. No extra batteries, props etc. yet available. Sound familiar?
Of all of those machines (except the Gaui, which we use for heavy lifting) the Inspire1 is the better choice for a lot of the production that my company does (mostly shooting cars).
That being said...The new P3 is a massive upgrade from the P2 Vision plus. Andy Knight from DJI told me the camera is the exact same as the I1, just re-housed to fit the P3. Have yet to put the footage side by side and run them through scopes, but they sure look similar.

The P3 has a ton more power and features and will be way more of a threat than people have realized, mainly due to it's smaller form factor. It will never be as good as a two person setup, it's not as fast as the I1, but it is an extremely good machine. As a first quad, it would be an excellent choice for a lot of people. For pro use, especially if you have clients sitting around, the I1's ability to push signal to an external monitor so they can watch what's going on, is a must have. The I1 looks way more impressive, but if it's just you solo shooting somewhere and you are a good enough pilot/shooter, you could do some nice work with the P3. Sorry guys - I wanted to hate it also, but the P3 does not deserve our hatred - It is a well made little brother that has a place in production for sure. Just my two cents, we all know what opinions are like...

You've said nothing new. Don't think anyone here "hates" the P3, we're just tired of hearing people say it's the same as or better than the Inspire 1.

Having owned both phantom 3 and inspire 1, the inspire is elite. If you can't afford an inspire, then get the phantom 3. If you can't afford either, then give up.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate a few views from experienced users

I am considering buying my first drone but find the tradeoffs between the currently available models quite confusing. DJI's poor customer communication does not help... I am not too concerned about $. Here are my observations so far:

I1: great camera, best camera mobility, best flying characteristics, best looks, no visual distraction through landing gear / props, good case, good new app but no waypoint programming / limited programmed manouvres, uncertain future upgrades / key features eg waypoints, high price, ok battery time

P3: same as I1 with lesser flight characteristics, less fancy looks, limited camera mobility and rotor / gear in pics, but great price, great battery time

3DR Solo: gopro 4k which is great but creates fishbowl effect (can this be overcome?) so inferior video results vs. above models, unknown flight characteristics but probably ok, poor battery time, ok price, big advantage: waypoints and lots of sophisticated flight programming eg orbiting, cable car, true follow me, selfie etc

I'd much appreciate your view. I think if I could be certain that proper waypoint programming and follow me will come to the I1 I'd immediately go for this model and hence find it very disappointing that DJI seems to be unwilling to commit to this feature that in my (possibly naive) view is purely a function of software so could be easily provided?? Why can the P2 do this but not the other models?

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Dom

REGARDING GoPro 4 and 3DR SOLO comment:
Well RAGE CAM modifes the GoPro lens system. They remove and insert there own flatter ports to kill the fish eye. Expensive but works great. You can basically screw and unscrew different lenses including re-installingthe original lens. http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-rectilinear-flat-lens-gopro-hero4-hero3-p-631.html

REGARDING GoPro 4 and 3DR SOLO comment:
Well RAGE CAM modifes the GoPro lens system. They remove and insert there own flatter ports to kill the fish eye. Expensive but works great. You can basically screw and unscrew different lenses including re-installingthe original lens. http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-rectilinear-flat-lens-gopro-hero4-hero3-p-631.html
Not really practical to unscrew and replace lenses regularly as you have to focus it each time. Setting a mark doesn't really do it well enough.

There are much cheaper places to buy the lens and on a 4 or a 3+ it's a pretty easy DIY job.

Reactions: sirnikolas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz