Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 in the Rain

Reaction score
I've not really found to much on peoples experiences with the Inspire 2 in rainy conditions. I recognize rain flights need to be avoided, but I still would like to know its capabilities. Pop-up showers have caught me off guard once or twice with my Phantom 4, which fared well for the five minutes or so. Just curious what your experiences have been?

Not rain but I did fly in a mild snow storm this last week and fared well.

I think people over-react to flying in rain. Motors can easily operate in rainy conditions. All the electronics are at least covered. Even then, its extremely difficult to short components with low voltage and fresh water.

When rain gets close enough to the craft it should suck most of the rain droplets to the propellers due to the low pressure above the props.

I have flown in misty/mild rain without issues and feel that the ip43 or whatever ratings that they quantify as weatherproof imo is a sales gimick to raise the price on a product. No one is scuba diving with their drone so I personally don't see the need.

Reactions: Mindframecinema
I have experienced the I2 being wet when returning to land on several occasions.

Whilst it didn’t cause the Inspire to malfunction, the footage I had shot was generally useless due to the water droplets on the lens. Whilst you tend not to notice them on the small screen whilst flying, they become all too obvious when you view the footage on a decent size screen back at base.

Reactions: seattlenativemike
Hi Don't fly in the rain, water is sucked in through the vents of the motor and straight on to the E.S.C which is right under the motor and has no water proof coating on the E.S.C

Be careful in the rain. Have a look at post #6 in this thread: Tb48 battery damage
I got water in two batteries from a yard sprinkler. It got inside and caused a battery to catch fire. I'm sure the battery can shed some water if flying in the rain but if too much gets in, I'm not sure how much that takes, it can be problematic.

Think about flying your cell phone from the open car window in the rain. That is similar.
Most DJI drones have active cooling fan that sacks outside air to cool circuit boards, if it rains it will pool in the water.
On my Inspire 2 there is a moisture resistant coating (3M Scotchkote) applied on all accessible boards & open spaces that are not used for cooling are sealed.
But no flying in the rain because a lot of components are left exposed (like camera - rotorcaft body).
My protection works for incidental short light rain exposure and flying in the high moisture conditions (fog).

Last edited:
Reactions: HERC
I did not take any pictures during the work.
But putting it in a simple way, you need to dissemble I2, cover circuit boards electrically exposed parts, cable connectors, ect. with 3M Scotchkote while making sure that "hot" surfaces stay clear for connection to heat dissipating parts of the frame.
Wait at 24 hours before reassembly.
For best results while taking your craft apart use camera to record where, what and how everything is connected.
For reference picture of disassembled Mavic battery circuit board covered with 3M Scotchkote
mavic battery.jpg

Last edited:
Silicone Conformant ... Paint it on those boards etc. Everywhere that isn't something like a card slot, USB etc
I am shooting Top Gear right now and just "landed" my FPV racing drone in deep snow twice... Silicone Conformant saved it.
Also flew the I2 in HEAVY snow without issue.

Sorry but common sense in here is quite thin. Electronic circuits can oxidize over time. There are fans that suck air into the drone. I don’t get why people risk these expensive drones in poor conditions. Then later on wonder why the drone flew away or camera failed or whatever blame is put on the bird as if you treated it perfectly.

I only flew in the snow because I was shooting Top Gear and they REALLY REALLY wanted me to get the shot
Bummer, but sometimes that's just the way it is on gigs like that... So I appreciate everyone's advice on how to mitigate the potential damage when I sometimes have to fly into extreme conditions
;-P

Reactions: niki
While we were out on that shoot, I ordered a backpack cover and got it for the Texas portion of the shoot, because there was lots of rain predicted.
It works PERFECTLY. Of course, if possible, bring your drone in out of the rain... but if you're on a production and the occasional shower keeps blowing through and breaking down the drone isn't a good option... this thing is perfect. We could cover the drone and put both controllers under it as well (on a PGYTECH Landing pad)
;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters