Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Interesting video showing X5 adapter and X5 Z-axis stabilization arm.

I was just at NAB last week and saw the Z-Axis stabilizer there. They weren't showing any video of it in use and they while they would let you walk around with it, the demo unit didn't have a phone on it so you couldn't really see how effective it is in removing the vertical bounce as you walk. I asked a couple of the DJI staff when it was going to be available and the they say "about 2 weeks". Based on the traditional DJI track record of getting products from prototype to customer's hands, I would take that with a very large grain of salt. I also asked what the price would be and the answer was "around $200". Personally, I'm looking forward to buying one for my Osmo when they finally start shipping in late 2017 :)

Got my Z-axis for the X3 today!
Hi
I have received mine today as well. Did a quick run down the garden and back but still getting jerky footage. So I suspect more testing is required. How are you finding your Z axis?

Hi
I have received mine today as well. Did a quick run down the garden and back but still getting jerky footage. So I suspect more testing is required. How are you finding your Z axis?
I found it better than not having it. I still had to try and compensate for the up/down by 'hand' I had to watch and make sure the arm was not hitting it's end points by tilting the handle slightly. I reckon it will take more practice to hone the technique.

Not sure whether I'm going to bother with the z-axis for the moment - I used the Osmo to film a cross-country event this weekend and considering the lack of care I took with trying to stabilise it, in the vertical while running, it did a pretty good job IMHO.
-----

Reactions: unyks
Z axis stabilisation still needs an operator to learn how to use it properly.. (Ask any Steadicam operator) - it's not a switch on and forget everything instrument....

No doubt it will improve your shots but only when used it the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IrishSights
So after waiting 50 days for the X5 adapter and Z-Axis stabilizer, they arrived today. I am dismayed that I cannot make the Z-Axis stabilizer work with the X5 because, as Phil at RC Geeks posted today, the spring is too weak to balance the gimbal and camera. I even removed the lens to see if I could balance it without the lens and the spring is too weak to balance the gimbal and X5 camera even without the lens. I like the idea of the Z-Axis stabilization and I hope someone out there comes up with a spring mod solution. Maybe the guy who made the video… In the meantime don’t buy the Z-Axis for the X5.

So after waiting 50 days for the X5 adapter and Z-Axis stabilizer, they arrived today. I am dismayed that I cannot make the Z-Axis stabilizer work with the X5 because, as Phil at RC Geeks posted today, the spring is too weak to balance the gimbal and camera. I even removed the lens to see if I could balance it without the lens and the spring is too weak to balance the gimbal and X5 camera even without the lens. I like the idea of the Z-Axis stabilization and I hope someone out there comes up with a spring mod solution. Maybe the guy who made the video… In the meantime don’t buy the Z-Axis for the X5.

Someone reported that if you cut off 1cm of the spring it works perfectly

Someone reported that if you cut off 1cm of the spring it works perfectly
So.......let me get this right (I will sit down first and think about it......)
DJI come up with a z-axis adapter specifically for the X5 camera to fit on the Osmo (different from the X3 Z-axis one).
It is designed, engineered and manufactured solely for the purpose of fitting an X5 camera (and lens) to the Osmo and smoothing out/absorbing the z-axis movement for this combination of equipment.
The only 'slight' problem is...... it doesnt actually work because the spring fitted from manufacture is too weak to support the X5 and Lens (or maybe even the X5 body only)?
However......if you chop 1cm off the spring (and presumably reform the end with pliers) putting it under more tension, then the thing does what it is supposed to do out of the box (but doesn't)?
Is that about right?

Surely, in any country this constitutes a product not fit for purpose and should never been allowed to make it to market?

Reactions: DamesNY
So.......let me get this right (I will sit down first and think about it......)
DJI come up with a z-axis adapter specifically for the X5 camera to fit on the Osmo (different from the X3 Z-axis one).
It is designed, engineered and manufactured solely for the purpose of fitting an X5 camera (and lens) to the Osmo and smoothing out/absorbing the z-axis movement for this combination of equipment.
The only 'slight' problem is...... it doesnt actually work because the spring fitted from manufacture is too weak to support the X5 and Lens (or maybe even the X5 body only)?
However......if you chop 1cm off the spring (and presumably reform the end with pliers) putting it under more tension, then the thing does what it is supposed to do out of the box (but doesn't)?
Is that about right?

Surely, in any country this constitutes a product not fit for purpose and should never been allowed to make it to market?

That's about right :)

It works great with the X3 without modification. I may need to chop off 1.5cm for the X5R :)

That's about right :)

It works great with the X3 without modification. I may need to chop off 1.5cm for the X5R :)
Absolutely staggering how DJI can keep doing things like this time and time again.
A small defect can be excused (occasionally) but something as basic as this has no excuse.
Somebody had to look at this thing and say "Yup, that seems fine, I will sign that off for manufacture"
Do they only employ chimps in the engineering department? :rolleyes:

Absolutely staggering how DJI can keep doing things like this time and time again.
A small defect can be excused (occasionally) but something as basic as this has no excuse.
Somebody had to look at this thing and say "Yup, that seems fine, I will sign that off for manufacture"
Do they only employ chimps in the engineering department? :rolleyes:

Yeah, all they probably had to do was enable the spring tensioner knob to progress further to accommodate the X5/R, but hey what do I know...I'm a software guy. Maybe it's more complicated than that.

Reactions: The Editor

I wasn't aware that DJI had released a Z-axis stabilizer for the X5. Can you please point me to the item on the DJI Store? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that you ordered this
adapter, which is for the X3 only. How do you suppose that this adapter would work with the X5, given the increased weight of the X5?

Please let us know if the item you have is, in fact, the X3 Z-Axis stabilizer. It would clear up a lot of confusion on this thread.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop