Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Pro cellular vs wifi only

Reaction score
Hi all,

What are the pros/cons of getting an iPad Pro with cellular vs wifi only? I hear that the cellular version has gps built in. If I get the cellular version, I don't plan on using a sim for it, might want it for the GPS chip.

Regarding GPS and loading maps, Would using my iPhone 6 + as a hotspot with a wifi only iPad work and different vs using a cellular version iPad using iPhone hotspot?

Would "follow me" work with wifi only iPad using iPhone hotspot?

If there are any other benefits between the two please let me know.

I'm a little bit confused on this built in GPS/cellular and can't see to find a clear answer.

Hi all,

What are the pros/cons of getting an iPad Pro with cellular vs wifi only? I hear that the cellular version has gps built in. If I get the cellular version, I don't plan on using a sim for it, might want it for the GPS chip.

Regarding GPS and loading maps, Would using my iPhone 6 + as a hotspot with a wifi only iPad work and different vs using a cellular version iPad using iPhone hotspot?

Would "follow me" work with wifi only iPad using iPhone hotspot?

If there are any other benefits between the two please let me know.

I'm a little bit confused on this built in GPS/cellular and can't see to find a clear answer.

I regularly used my wifi only iPad2 mini tethered to my Samsung phone. Worked. Even life streaming worked. Kept the phone in the pocket all the time.
The cellular version does have a barometer and that's a big plus because Autopilot can do a follow me even over terrain with elevations. Without barometer your bird would crash into the hill at some point.
Fortunately (only in this case) my country is the flattest on earth so I don't need it daily :)
I think your iPhone does have a barometer too.

One advantage of having the cellular modem that I learned the hard way is that "find my iPad" won't work without an Internet connection of some sort. If someone walks off with your tablet it won't connect until it's unlocked (or connects to a known hotspot which would be pretty unlikely). It is getting fairly inexpensive to add a low-volume data plan to secondary devices, and being able to remote wipe as well as potentially point the police to the iPad's location, if they're interested in actually catching the thief.

I have a WiFi only iPad. Once I learned how to cache maps before a flight it does everything I want. I don't use Follow Me or Live Streaming to the Internet. For software updates I am at home where there is WiFi. For "find my iPad" I put a Tile on the back.

I have a WiFi only iPad. Once I learned how to cache maps before a flight it does everything I want. I don't use Follow Me or Live Streaming to the Internet. For software updates I am at home where there is WiFi. For "find my iPad" I put a Tile on the back.

Can you live stream with wifi only by using iPhone hotspot?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44