Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Near Death Experience

Reaction score
During some recent filming over the Yarra River in Melbourne Australia, I had a near death experience. I was moving slowing downstream, observing my i1 from the bank, although it was very difficult to see because of the intervening trees and my elevation on the bank. All of a sudden the relative quiet was disturbed my the sound of my i1 changing from a constant hum into the sound of a lawn mover, cutting the vegetation. My heart stopped and I was just able to calm myself enough to not panic. I figured out I should descend slowly and was grateful to hear the noise return to "normal". It was only after reviewing the video that I realised how lucky I was. A excellent lesson learned, without paying the ultimate price.

Enjoy. Hopefully others may be inclined to share similar experiences. It will be cheaper than counselling.

Reactions: JRenner
During some recent filming over the Yarra River in Melbourne Australia, I had a near death experience. I was moving slowing downstream, observing my i1 from the bank, although it was very difficult to see because of the intervening trees and my elevation on the bank. All of a sudden the relative quiet was disturbed my the sound of my i1 changing from a constant hum into the sound of a lawn mover, cutting the vegetation. My heart stopped and I was just able to calm myself enough to not panic. I figured out I should descend slowly and was grateful to hear the noise return to "normal". It was only after reviewing the video that I realised how lucky I was. A excellent lesson learned, without paying the ultimate price.

Enjoy. Hopefully others may be inclined to share similar experiences. It will be cheaper than counselling.

Had quite a few of those myself, so now I always fly LOS and rely on another person to handle camera functions. You never know when you might experience WiFi lag at a critical moment, and find your investment between a rock and an even harder place. Get on a boat, get on top of that embankment, climb a **** tower if you have to but always fly line of sight if you are at low altitudes and among objects and most importantly, people.

Hope that didn't come across too harsh, I don't mean it to be; just things I've learnt from personal experience, and a couple of drones later...

Safe flying!

Had quite a few of those myself, so now I always fly LOS and rely on another person to handle camera functions. You never know when you might experience WiFi lag at a critical moment, and find your investment between a rock and an even harder place. Get on a boat, get on top of that embankment, climb a **** tower if you have to but always fly line of sight if you are at low altitudes and among objects and most importantly, people.

Hope that didn't come across too harsh, I don't mean it to be; just things I've learnt from personal experience, and a couple of drones later...

Safe flying!
Thanks for the response. I agree with all you said. I usually try to do all those things but occasionally you get over confident. All my previous "incidents", mostly with Phantom 1 and 2, have been in such situations. I'm hoping others will post similar clips, as we can all learn from them. Aiming to add a bit of levity and move away from the doom and gloom of DJI service, app problems and fly aways.

Reactions: JRenner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan