Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

No-Aircraft/No-Handle OSMO/X3 remote camera

Reaction score
I want to put together a non-aerial remote camera based on the OSMO/X3. I have identified most of the parts but are stuck on the gimbal GCU when not using an aircraft or the handle. I can get the camera, the camera base and lightbridge but do not know which GCU will work with the OSMO/X3 without the rest of unnecessary aircraft parts since the camera will be fixed or mounted on a human-driven land vehicle.

I also know the gimbal base has the 10-pin and 8-pin connection that, with the proper cable, match the G9 and G7 in most DJI GCU's but controlling the one with the X3 might not be plug and play.

Any idea how to complete this setup with either Lightbridge 1 (preferred) or Lightbridge 2?

Attachments

• WishList.002.jpeg
    WishList.002.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 17
I want to put together a non-aerial remote camera based on the OSMO/X3. I have identified most of the parts but are stuck on the gimbal GCU when not using an aircraft or the handle. I can get the camera, the camera base and lightbridge but do not know which GCU will work with the OSMO/X3 without the rest of unnecessary aircraft parts since the camera will be fixed or mounted on a human-driven land vehicle.

I also know the gimbal base has the 10-pin and 8-pin connection that, with the proper cable, match the G9 and G7 in most DJI GCU's but controlling the one with the X3 might not be plug and play.

Any idea how to complete this setup with either Lightbridge 1 (preferred) or Lightbridge 2?
I have deleted you other thread - please do not double post, it is directly against our forum rules.

Thank You.

I have deleted you other post - please do not double post, it is directly against our forum rules.

Thank You.
Thanks for your help. As explained and due to product overlapping, I did not know where it fits better.

Thanks for your help. As explained and due to product overlapping, I did not know where it fits better.
Here will be fine.

As an aside, you may find problems trying to utilise a DJI GCU in the configuration you are trying.
DJI GCU's operate on a closed loop feedback system which utilises not only GCU data from its internal sensors but also the gyro and accelerometer (IMU) data from a connected flight controller (usually through CANBUS).

Thanks. I noticed most installations instruct you to connect to the CANBUS hub with most DJI GCU's... still do not know if it would matter if it isn't flying. Wonder how the OSMO operates the same unit.

Thanks. I noticed most installations instruct you to connect to the CANBUS hub with most DJI GCU's... still do not know if it would matter if it isn't flying. Wonder how the OSMO operates the same unit.
The OSMO is a self contained unit whereas it looks like you are trying to utilise an X3 camera/gimbal and drive it with a DJI GCU.
The problem is these GCU's require an input from a flight controller (data stream) in order to stabilise the gimbal in conjunction with the GCU.
The reason DJI's airborne gimbals have an accuracy of 0.03 of a degree is because of the closed loop system that additionally utilises the IMU data.

Ooops I just saw in your title you don't want a handle, sorry, what is the intended use for the camera / gimbal?

What range are you looking for? Further than just the Osmo WiFi signal reaches?
I want to send the HD and control signal via Lightbridge 1 or 2. Since it is for a land-base solution, range is diminished considerably. We need more than WiFi range (1 km under most conditions will suffice) and at least a clean good quality 720 video to record it and broadcast it from the base as it will be mixed with other camera feeds.

To give you an example of the application, I want to place the OSMO/X3 on a car or motorbike and receive/control from a secondary vehicle or station.

I want to send the HD and control signal via Lightbridge 1 or 2. Since it is for a land-base solution, range is diminished considerably. We need more than WiFi range (1 km under most conditions will suffice) and at least a clean good quality 720 video to record it and broadcast it from the base as it will be mixed with other camera feeds.

To give you an example of the application, I want to place the OSMO/X3 on a car or motorbike and receive/control from a secondary vehicle or station.
Lightbridge is not good for broadcast hook-up to be honest.
Connex HD would be far better.

Lightbridge is not good for broadcast hook-up to be honest.
Connex HD would be far better.
I'm considering the DJI mainly for simplicity. I wonder if the Inspire 1 IMU can be use without the rest of the parts as it controls the gimbal when not flying... wonder if it will not freak out when there are no rotos or other parts connected to it.

Last edited:
I'm considering the DJI mainly for simplicity. I wonder if the Inspire 1 IMU can be use without the rest of the parts as it controls the gimbal when not flying... wonder if it will not freak out when there are no rotos or there parts connected to it.
It will I'm afraid as it will throw up an error if the rest of the modules are not connected.

This equipment is really not meant for that, you likely won't get anywhere unless you basically take an entire I1 and strip it of the mechanical components.

Why not use a GoPro, Lightbridge/Connex and 3rd-party GoPro gimbal?

This equipment is really not meant for that, you likely won't get anywhere unless you basically take an entire I1 and strip it of the mechanical components.

Why not use a GoPro, Lightbridge/Connex and 3rd-party GoPro gimbal?
Well, I no longer use GoPro (moved from Sony) and recently acquired 2 new FDR-X3000 - an amazing OIS 4K camera. I would do it for the Sony but finding a gimbal has proven imposible. That's where GoPro wins - aftermarket options.

That said, the idea of a simple package to use and control a camera like the OSMO/X3 is the driver. In theory, we only need a gimbal controller... in theory. :/ Other DJI gimbals are simply too big.

Does anybody know if the OSMO handle has a usable HDMI signal? I think they internally use dvb-s.

recently acquired 2 new FDR-X3000 - an amazing OIS 4K camera. I would do it for the Sony but finding a gimbal has proven imposible.

Great choice - DIY time then.

That said, the idea of a simple package to use and control a camera like the OSMO/X3 is the driver. In theory, we only need a gimbal controller... in theory. :/ Other DJI gimbals are simply too big.

Does anybody know if the OSMO handle has a usable HDMI signal? I think they internally use dvb-s.
No HDMI.

Again the only obvious way is an entire Inspire including the remote from which you'd take HDMI out. Very far from a "simple package".

Great choice - DIY time then.

No HDMI.

Again the only obvious way is an entire Inspire including the remote from which you'd take HDMI out. Very far from a "simple package".
...considering getting an M100 / I1 IMU and see what it needs to let me use the camera remotely. I don't mind having to add the GPS and heading unit as I've read the Lightbridge 2, GCU and more is within the same package... maybe I'll just give the guy an Inspire 1 and say "here, hold this". ;D

After researching more on my options to mount the OSMO on its own without the handle in a "wing-less" system, I've found that the Matrice 100 and the Inspire 1 share the same brains. Both controllers have plug and play capability for the OSMO/X3 and have integrated Lightbridge don't know if 1 or 2, suspect 1) in them. The unit is quite small. I do not mind the GPS and compass (in fact those would be nice for added production value) but the questions remains: will it work without ESCs, motors and the rest of the parts? The unit operates the gimbal and all camera functions when not flying but will start up without the missing components?

Another alternative is to use an A2 or A3 but those are way too expensive for what I am trying to achieve. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop