Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reporting "commercial" UAV use

I meant to say I earn over 330k a year. Its much different in our country. If you have no license then you will get in trouble. I was online tonight watching a video someone has taken here on the beach. great video and he made the effort of mentioning he was a hobbyist only. I think we will find out as most licensed people will dob him in. I will too.
I was gonna say I wouldn't be bragging about making 33k a year but I restrained myself, lol!

I'm fully aware it's different in other countries, that's why I specifically stated the in the USA part of my original post.

The OP does refer to the US, however the subject raised is of interest to those resident in other countries and they have just as much right to post to this thread as anyone. It's good to get an international perspective on the subject as the debate develops. No harm done. Lighten up a bit Sultan. Is all good discussion.
Fair enough, however when someone quotes my post and says I'm wrong when they are the ones who are incorrect then I'm going to come back at them, just saying.

go report everyone downloading music...making an illegal u turn...not wearing a seat belt...that's right you don't because you don't care..but when you find out someone made 3,500 filming a golf course you get mad because you didn't knock door to door trying to get work. just because you have a 333 or a pilots liscence does not mean jobs will miraculously appear in your inbox.

Reactions: SultanGris
Yes.. Im pretty proud I have my license. I will have no trouble telling anyone that I see flying illegally to their face i will dob them in. These drones are not toys and we need the rules. Im really afraid we will have thousands in the sky after Xmas and it will cause accidents and make the laws so much tougher.
Great point. Didn't think of that.

go report everyone downloading music...making an illegal u turn...not wearing a seat belt...that's right you don't because you don't care..but when you find out someone made 3,500 filming a golf course you get mad because you didn't knock door to door trying to get work. just because you have a 333 or a pilots liscence does not mean jobs will miraculously appear in your inbox.
This post makes virtually no sense. Try again.

This is always an interesting forum. Report or not to report. We have the tendency to forgive and forget when an action doesn't affect us directly. My point is this flying drones illegally is ok until one flies away and damages your property or worse case, injures your child playing in the illegal drone area of operation. Do you want to be that guy who could have prevented that scenerio by reporting previous illegal operstions? Another thought is accidents and incidents caused during illegal operations effects the opportunity for legal operator to acquire contract. For example, an illegal operator did a demo with a major, major cell phone tower company. The drone crashed during the demo. The cell phone tower company has yet to talk to legal operator for fear of tower damage. Crashes can happen to the best, but a legal operators would be better prepared for the mission... Having said that, please don't get wrapped around the finger about who flies better than who.

The question is report or not.

REPORT IT.

Reactions: Ezookiel
This is always an interesting forum. Report or not to report. We have the tendency to forgive and forget when an action doesn't affect us directly. My point is this flying drones illegally is ok until one flies away and damages your property or worse case, injures your child playing in the illegal drone area of operation. Do you want to be that guy who could have prevented that scenerio by reporting previous illegal operstions? Another thought is accidents and incidents caused during illegal operations effects the opportunity for legal operator to acquire contract. For example, an illegal operator did a demo with a major, major cell phone tower company. The drone crashed during the demo. The cell phone tower company has yet to talk to legal operator for fear of tower damage. Crashes can happen to the best, but a legal operators would be better prepared for the mission... Having said that, please don't get wrapped around the finger about who flies better than who.

The question is report or not.

REPORT IT.
I certainly don't think about who flies better than someone else. The man concern is that those who have a license actually have to know the rules for safety purposes. Those that don't have no knowledge of the dangers in flying and can get in a lot of trouble if something goes wrong. I don't even think of unlicensed cutting us out of work as they can't get he work and they do it for nothing anyway. For me, having license means I can charge a lot more because I can show the client the value in having someone licensed to fly. you are lucky if you don't have strict laws in the US. In Australia they are very strict and people will get robbed in.

Dennis R.

My comment wasn't directed at you or anyone else. I didn't take the time to read through five pages of comments either. Just making a general statement to the comments made referencing not reporting illegal operations and the thought they aren't hurting anybody..... Correction: I did go back to find your comment, page 4 of this thread, and agree with your comments. :)

...In Australia they are very strict and people will get dobbed in.

And sadly, CASA don't do a damned thing about it. Heard of so many being reported, and heard of so few being followed through.

They'd only need to do a couple, make them high profile, big fines, and I think the problem of illegal would diminish massively almost overnight. But CASA are woefully under resourced for it.

And sadly, CASA don't do a damned thing about it. Heard of so many being reported, and heard of so few being followed through.

They'd only need to do a couple, make them high profile, big fines, and I think the problem of illegal would diminish massively almost overnight. But CASA are woefully under resourced for it.

Yes, it's the same in the USA. FAA is overwhelmed and understaffed for the onslaught of FAA 333 Exemption request. Right now the FAA is in an advisory mode asking violators to discontinue illegal operations. That will last until they approve formal regulations governing UAV/UAS ops. With Christmas sales going through the roof, it's not going to get any better.

Yes, it's the same in the USA. FAA is overwhelmed and understaffed for the onslaught of FAA 333 Exemption request. Right now the FAA is in an advisory mode asking violators to discontinue illegal operations. That will last until they approve formal regulations governing UAV/UAS ops. With Christmas sales going through the roof, it's not going to get any better.
At least its a start. People think they are just toys and thats the problem. people always come up to me when they see my flying and they say.. "oh ..my kids would be rapt with one of those" They even think my inspire Pro X5 is a toy. Most say they didn't know we have to have a license or follow any rules. The camera shops are not helping either as they want the sales.
Recently in Perth, someone was flying his drone on the Swan River in controlled airspace. This is in the city and people called the Police who came and arrested him I believe. He got a big fine but went back to the shop and told them they should have told him about the rules. He said the shop should pay his fine.

In the UK powers to prosecute have moved away from the CAA for general breaches to the Police, who are better resourced and now trained. I think this is a good move and could be the way for other countries to go. It will be interesting to see that once the FAA have their rules, if they use the Police for enforcement or try and do it themselves.

The CAA here are still being involved with more air related safety involving other aircraft, airports infringement etc.

At least its a start. People think they are just toys and thats the problem. people always come up to me when they see my flying and they say.. "oh ..my kids would be rapt with one of those" They even think my inspire Pro X5 is a toy. Most say they didn't know we have to have a license or follow any rules. The camera shops are not helping either as they want the sales.
Recently in Perth, someone was flying his drone on the Swan River in controlled airspace. This is in the city and people called the Police who came and arrested him I believe. He got a big fine but went back to the shop and told them they should have told him about the rules. He said the shop should pay his fine.
I work with a youth organization, Kids DronZone, to educate youth and the public that these should not be considered toys. That kids go through some type of training before being released in the neighborhood. Specially a drone with no GPS stabilization. We also ask the parents look at the science, technology, engineering and math aspect of drones. That approach may lead to future engineers, scientist, pilots, mechanics, etc. etc. I think we should all see ourselves as ambassadors to the craft of droning.

question: i fly drones for over 3 years now. luckyly i can say i was trained by a real pilot which engaged into drone building proffessionally and flying the the same way. so i think i can say that in some way i know risk assament and flying safely and reckless flying is not what i stand for.
now a guy in another part of my country where i could get some jobs for the money and knoledge i have invested bought himself an I1 through a production he is working for. he actually started 4 months ago to fly and is doing it through out the city. here in hungary there is a rule but no one is really caring about it and it is not really official (no mention in the media about it) insurance is only one company and is really really expensive for a year. no option to make a liscence and no real option to report. since he did not have to invest the 3+k like me he takes jobs for a bargain although he can not fly really since he first started ever like i said about 4 months ago. so back to the posts of reporting or not, i would if i'd had a liscence because i die invest time, knowlidge and money for what i can do and worked out for me and searched info, talked to others investing my time into it. then some idiot comes around lucky to rip off a prod company he works for and takes almost all the work and possible orders from me because he works off the books and not having the cost and ROI calculagion i do.
what shall i do?
would getting a liscence in the UK be an option as a preparing action be worth a thought? this way i would have pre knowlidge of what might be coming up and be able to use that as a base to get the liscence here if they ever make you do one in hungary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you were not the most liked guy in school, reporting all the gum chewing kids
I do this for a living same as a lot of others here. Its not important to me if I am liked or not. There are plenty of places hobbyists can fly but they need to follow the rules as well. I will have great delight reporting anyone I see that doesn't want to fly safe or follow rules. We had to do a lot of study and pay a lot of money to get our licenses. If you dont want to pay then prepare to be reported.

We all know people see other people as they see themselves. So this might just as well say a lot about you.
And if anyone is illegally downloading and using music I composed I turn him in just as well.

Besides, it's a pilots code of conduct to report situations. As a yacht owner I would report anything that I think is unsafe or illegal, when I see it while on or at my boat, just as well.
It is just common seamanship. Reporting illegal drone operations is nothing but decent airmanship.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla