Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Weak Image Transmission with my 2019 iPad Pro 11”

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new iPad Pro 11”, and I’ve been getting Weak Image Transmission message at top of the DJI Go app when using it. I can’t see or only about 1/3 of the image feed comes across, if at all. This is the latest and greatest A13 Bionic processor chip. Could it be the cable? When I use my iPhone 8 Plus instead—-Flawless. I don’t understand why it’s not working with my new iPad Pro. Help!

It happned with an iPad 6th generation for me. On different mobile device signal is steady. Same cable so i have no idea.
I just bought a brand new iPad Pro 11”, and I’ve been getting Weak Image Transmission message at top of the DJI Go app when using it. I can’t see or only about 1/3 of the image feed comes across, if at all. This is the latest and greatest A13 Bionic processor chip. Could it be the cable? When I use my iPhone 8 Plus instead—-Flawless. I don’t understand why it’s not working with my new iPad Pro. Help!

Reactions: Dark Raptor
I get the same symptoms with my Gen 3 iPad Pro. My Gen 2 Pro and Air 1, no problems. The Gen 3 works with my other birds, so I just use the Gen 2 with the Inspire 1.

D

Reactions: oldcomputech
Is the 6th generation the latest one out now? If so, that’s disappointing. I bought this iPad strictly for use with my Inspire 1.

Yea..200 bucks on Huawei cheap tablet gives better result. I will use iPad for my spare Rc 2nd pilot....

Just any late Huawei..iPad doest give me best result and often signal loss. Lol Sorry for late reply.
Huawei Mediapad T5 tablet 10.5" gives wich costs me 156 euro. Gives better results than an iPad that is more than 800€. I do own multiple iPads...and yet Huawei is better if you are on a budget or dont need Crystalsky.

Just any late Huawei..iPad doest give me best result and often signal loss. Lol Sorry for late reply.
Huawei Mediapad T5 tablet 10.5" gives wich costs me 156 euro. Gives better results than an iPad that is more than 800€. I do own multiple iPads...and yet Huawei is better if you are on a budget or dont need Crystalsky.

Which iPads do you have? My oldest one - the Air 1 - does great...no problems. Rock solid signal. Anything pre-Thunderbolt is probably too old for live video feed.

D

Reactions: rbycapri
The latest pads are probably 'too much tech' for the before p4 app. I use an old nexus 7 (2nd generation) and it's been rock solid. I use it as a dedicated pad. It's stripped of every app and left on airplane mode. It doesn't have cellular and I cache my maps on WiFi before I fly. I've been using it for a long time and have never had a single glitch. Apart from an update reminder off DJI mid flight once (never happened again!) They are very cheap to buy and saves you taking a nice pad into the field.

Reactions: rbycapri
Thank you.
Dark Raptor
I'm using an Air 2 with cell. Only problem is the Arz heat. I was out flying in Sept and 10 minutes into the flight my screen started going green. The drone was about 1800 ft away. All so watch some of Donnie Franks video about signal quality. I rolled back my Inspire1 firmware and have not had any problems.

The latest pads are probably 'too much tech' for the before p4 app. I use an old nexus 7 (2nd generation) and it's been rock solid. I use it as a dedicated pad. It's stripped of every app and left on airplane mode. It doesn't have cellular...

Worth mentioning - I do the same thing. All 3 of my iPads are for work only. That said, I also own a sound company, so these iPads are also used for mixing sound. Outside of those two duties, I've stripped them of all that other crap...no email, facetime, messages, reminders, surfing the web...no Siri....yada, yada. You get the point. All that stuff has been stripped and/or disabled. Permissions have been locked down as tightly as possible, which includes ZERO automatic updates.

...and I cache my maps on WiFi before I fly.

Yep...and depending on the mission, I'll also cache SRTM data. I don't specifically turn off my WiFi, but that action is moot since I'm always outside of WiFi range anyway.

I've been using it for a long time and have never had a single glitch. Apart from an update reminder off DJI mid flight once (never happened again!)

I get "Firmware Update Required" messages every time I open the app. I just click "Ignore" and then the "X." I guess that's the price for running legacy firmware. NOT a problem at all.

1575571718364.png

They are very cheap to buy and saves you taking a nice pad into the field.

I have found the iPads to be robust, but in all honesty, I DO take pretty good care of them. After all, my livelihood depends on them.

D

Reactions: phxbird57
Hi Flatland,
I too have the Inspire 1 Pro running 2 iPads (pilot and camera) and have video transmission dropouts with the camera iPad. Tried changing iPads - same results. Put on my iPhone - same problem. As soon as I move to a different location (flying at Kite Hill) problem disappears. I was the only one flying that day. Remote controller has been fully charged and I still have not solved this problem or seen anyone in the blog that has a similar issue. I wonder if DjiGo would work with one iPad for the pilot and Huawei for the camera? Did your Huawei have w10 or w7?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Flatland,
I too have the Inspire 1 Pro running 2 iPads (pilot and camera) and have video transmission dropouts with the camera iPad. Tried changing iPads - same results. Put on my iPhone - same problem. As soon as I move to a different location (flying at Kite Hill) problem disappears. I was the only one flying that day. Remote controller has been fully charged and I still have not solved this problem or seen anyone in the blog that has a similar issue. I wonder if DjiGo would work with one iPad for the pilot and Huawei for the camera? Did your Huawei have w10 or w7?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Which iPads do you have? My oldest one - the Air 1 - does great...no problems. Rock solid signal. Anything pre-Thunderbolt is probably too old for live video feed.

D
Hi Donnie,
Before I go out and buy the Huawei Mediapad, I tried the "Golden Key" for my X3 bird.

1. I got my firmware from the site in the attachment.
2. Formatted my card to MSDOS.
3. Created the .txt file and renamed without the extension - see attached.
4. Copied both on to my card.
5. Inserted the card in the X3 and started the bird.
6. Observed normal startup flashes.
7. Waited for motors to sequence as you described. Nothing
8. Waited a full hour - powered down.
9. Checked the card for a log file - none (I think this means the that the downgrade did not start).
10. Powered up the bird and I am still on 10.0

So the downgrade did not work - what did I leave out or do wrong?
Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.30.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.30.25 PM.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.31.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.31.27 PM.png
    139 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.29.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 6.29.35 PM.png
    650.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 097759AA-9F32-4684-9781-6003ABD50287.png
    097759AA-9F32-4684-9781-6003ABD50287.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi Donnie,
Before I go out and buy the Huawei Mediapad, I tried the "Golden Key" for my X3 bird.

1. I got my firmware from the site in the attachment.
2. Formatted my card to MSDOS.
3. Created the .txt file and renamed without the extension - see attached.
4. Copied both on to my card.
5. Inserted the card in the X3 and started the bird.
6. Observed normal startup flashes.
7. Waited for motors to sequence as you described. Nothing
8. Waited a full hour - powered down.
9. Checked the card for a log file - none (I think this means the that the downgrade did not start).
10. Powered up the bird and I am still on 10.0

So the downgrade did not work - what did I leave out or do wrong?
Any suggestions welcome.

Step #2. I don't know what that is. There is no such file format as "MSDOS." The closest thing I can think of to "MSDOS formatting" would be FAT16, which is DEFINITELY the WRONG file format. The card should be formatted exFAT.

If it's still an option, format the card in the bird, which will format the card and create a couple folders. Don't worry about the folders. Just leave them there. If the bird isn't an option, simply format the card in Windows (not sure if iOS can format a MicroSD card as exFAT). Once formatted, just copy the DEBUG file and .bin file to the root directly and try again.

Caveat: I have seen only ONE person roll back an Inspire 1 from v1.11.xx. His regimen is in the comment section of this video:

His YouTube name is "Rather Be Restoring." He was able to go from v1.11.xx to v1.08.xx. He used the X3 camera on his Inspire Pro. Read his comments. They may help you. If you get stuck, it might help to contact him directly.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
Hi Donnie,
For step #2, I formatted the card in the bird as you suggested.
1. Put the .bin file and the DEBUG file back on the card and install in the camera.
2. Powered up the bird and it immediately starts the camera gimbal checks AND I get a 1 sec Beep constantly.
3. After 3 - 4 sec the gimbal fails and camera goes limp.

Controller was not on for power up.
Any more suggestions? I am in foreign territory here. Not used to doing hacks.....

Hi Donnie,
For step #2, I formatted the card in the bird as you suggested.
1. Put the .bin file and the DEBUG file back on the card and install in the camera.
2. Powered up the bird and it immediately starts the camera gimbal checks AND I get a 1 sec Beep constantly.
3. After 3 - 4 sec the gimbal fails and camera goes limp.

Controller was not on for power up.
Any more suggestions? I am in foreign territory here. Not used to doing hacks.....

From here I would need more information. For now I'm going to assume something is wrong with your roll back regimen. So I need specific information. Screen captures would be best.

* For now stick to using the old iPad until we get this worked out.
* Which Inspire model you have.
* Which firmware versions (screen capture ipad).
* Exact file name syntax (screen captures would be best).
* Any and all relevant details.
* Brand/Model MicroSD card.
* Post log file (this one is important).
* Take video of the whole process and post it to YouTube.
* The controller does NOT have to be on for this process. In fact, I recommend leaving it off, as the RC might actually be interfering with the rollback process.

You can see what I'm getting at here. Without comprehensive information, there's no way to troubleshoot this. The more information I have, the better I can figure out what's going wrong.

Going off memory from 3 years ago, if I recall, the camera going limp is a sign of failure. So for now we will assume that the process IS failing fairly quickly.

D

Donnie,
Yes,
The camera initializes then goes limp.
I will work on your shopping list but for now here is what I have.
1. Post log file of the results.
2. jpg of the ABOUT file that includes versions
3. The Brand Micro Card is: SanDisk, ULTRA, 128GB, A1, Circle10
4. DEBUG File Syntax
5. Since I run the X5 camera on both birds, I am assuming it is an Inspire 1 Pro, but do not know how to get the version.
6. Went back to DJI release notes for 1.11 and found a statement that says the installation will not be complete until you connect to the internet. My log file does say that it is UPGRADING. I did not turn on the controller and connect before I opened GO.....can this be the error?

I will try to go to 1.10 with the DEBUG file...
See ya later..

See attach:

1.11 Connect To  Internet.png

097759AA-9F32-4684-9781-6003ABD50287_1_105_c.jpeg097759AA-9F32-4684-9781-6003ABD50287_1_105_c.jpegDEBUG File Syntax.png1.11 Connect To  Internet.png

Attachments

• WM610_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 1
Donnie,
Yes,
The camera initializes then goes limp.
I will work on your shopping list but for now here is what I have.
1. Post log file of the results.
2. jpg of the ABOUT file that includes versions
3. The Brand Micro Card is: SanDisk, ULTRA, 128GB, A1, Circle10
4. DEBUG File Syntax
5. Since I run the X5 camera on both birds, I am assuming it is an Inspire 1 Pro, but do not know how to get the version.
6. Went back to DJI release notes for 1.11 and found a statement that says the installation will not be complete until you connect to the internet. My log file does say that it is UPGRADING. I did not turn on the controller and connect before I opened GO.....can this be the error?

I will try to go to 1.10 with the DEBUG file...
See ya later..

See attach:

View attachment 28142

View attachment 28140View attachment 28140View attachment 28141View attachment 28142

So....your correspondence has netted the fact that you are trying the roll back with the X5 camera. This is probably your point of failure. Rolling back with the X5 has been dicey at best. The X3 is much better for this purpose.

Here is a comment from my "Make your Inspire 1 great again...Part 1..."
video:

======================

"You are an absolute magician with your key! I got my Inspire 1 V2 to go from the latest 1.11 back to 1.8.01.00!! I got the 1.8 firmware from panorobot (per your other great tip!) for the record I have a Pro actually with the X5 camera mount but using a X3..I have both cameras by probably won’t try to mess with the X5 firmware and will just use my X5 solely with my Osmo."

======================

The user is Rather Be Restoring

1582406670383.png
He an I had a rather lengthy exchange. I think you should read it as there's a lot of good information in there.

D

Reactions: phxbird57

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry