Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Autopilot Beta Test

What if you have a wifi hotspot available, like a cellular hotspot? Will those functions like follow mode be available then?

For example, I use an iPad Air 2 wifi, and link to my Droid 4 as a hotspot to get realtime maps in the DJI pilot app. Would this work?
I don't think the hotspot shares the GPS location, but we have already added support for using the GPS in the RC as the Follow leader.

I don't think the hotspot shares the GPS location, but we have already added support for using the GPS in the RC as the Follow leader.

In this case the hotspot just keeps the map location up to date, in real time. So as long as my map is cached, or up to date, everything will work?

In this case the hotspot just keeps the map location up to date, in real time. So as long as my map is cached, or up to date, everything will work?
It provides network access to load map tiles, or it puts the device location on the map too? Either way, we haven't tested this setup, but please report back your findings once you install the beta.

It provides network access to load map tiles, or it puts the device location on the map too? Either way, we haven't tested this setup, but please report back your findings once you install the beta.

As far as I know, it works the same way an iPad Air 2 with a cellular account would work. Location services run off of the wifi connection, and update in real time. I usually don't link to the hotspot, unless I forgot to cache the map before leaving to go fly at new location.

Can you select which RC to follow for Inspire 1? Master or Slave RC?
How will following the Mobile Device will work for Inspire and P3 as there is no wifi connection to the bird?

Hey Jim!

I was wondering if you guys have received a new update from apple since your last post?

Thanks
Roy

How will following the Mobile Device will work for Inspire and P3 as there is no wifi connection to the bird?
Version 2.0 will likely only allow selecting the Master RC as the follow leader, but slave support might come if we have time.

The app communicates to the drone via the lightbridge connection, so following the device works just fine, as long as the device actually has location data.

Hey Jim!

I was wondering if you guys have received a new update from apple since your last post?

Thanks
Roy
Sadly no, it is still just "in review". Trust me, we will be posting an update about 1 second after they approve it.

Without a cable connected to the RC?
You still have to be plugged in to the RC, so if you mean how can you do "Device separate from RC" like in the current version in the App Store, the answer is you cannot. That is only possible on the Vision and Vision+. The longer term plan for this is to allow 3rd party GPS transmitters, or slave remote config.

Autoflight Logic- Do you have any type of manual yet that you could possibly shoot to the beta testers in advance of Apple approving the app itself? It would probably help lower the need for you to answer so many questions that are probably covered in the manual. It will also help us to get a head start on things while all knowing anything could still change.

Autoflight Logic- Do you have any type of manual yet that you could possibly shoot to the beta testers in advance of Apple approving the app itself? It would probably help lower the need for you to answer so many questions that are probably covered in the manual. It will also help us to get a head start on things while all knowing anything could still change.
Yes, Flight School has been updated to account for v2.0:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotphantom/flightschool

Update on Apple: they responded yesterday saying that DJI had still not correctly added us to their MFi program. While DJI sorts it out we are looking in to alternatives to TestFlight for distributing the beta.

-Jim

Reactions: slim.slamma
Jim, if we signed up for the beta sending you our email address, will you notify us when the app is available? Every day I fly, I think of this app.
thanks for the updates.
Allan

Reactions: Dogemaster
I see that developers have the same problem with DJI getting things done as the customer do. Sorry...they are a pain to deal with.

send us an email when it's out. I don't always check the forum

Autoflight Logic If Apple appears okay with it but waiting on DJI that may take forever. I think putting the IPA up somewhere may be best in the meantime.Depending on the size of the file you may actually be able to just email the IPA directly to the people on the Beta team. It being Beta covers everything since its not an actual release. Just a thought to help you get the ball rolling. Heck, DJI did exactly that for the IOS version of DJI Pilot before Apple approved it. What do you think?

Jim, if we signed up for the beta sending you our email address, will you notify us when the app is available? Every day I fly, I think of this app.
thanks for the updates.
Allan
Everyone who has signed up will receive an email when the beta is ready.

I think putting the IPA up somewhere may be best in the meantime.
As far as I am aware, you have to specifically add each device ID to the provisioning profile, and Apple only allows 100 per device type. Not only is this cumbersome for you and us, but I'm not sure how to choose who would get it given how many people have signed up for the beta (way more than 100).

At this point Apple claims DJI hasn't done what they need to do, and we are waiting for DJI to do it (add us to the MFi program correctly).

In the meantime, here is another demo video of actually using the app (in Hover Mode).

The portions showing the app itself are filmed using the Phantom 2 Vision+ because it can connect over wifi. If we use the lightning connector for the P3 or Inspire 1, we can no longer connect to the laptop to do the screen recording.

The 3rd person portions of the video were shot on an Inspire 1, also running Autopilot in Hover Mode. I left the landing sequence in at the end to show the use of both drones by one operator, me. Effectively using Autopilot to assist myself in the filming of the demo video...

Reactions: sirnikolas
So, effectively DJI has still yet to deliver functions first announced for the Inspire 1 seven months ago AND they are delaying a third party solution to those much anticipated and sought after functions?

I think we all need to bombard DJI with requests to expedite the MFI vendor request for Autoflight Logic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk