Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CrystalSky backlight failure - quick fix

Do the newer versions have a different version number?

I have been holding out from buying my 2 ultras because the major issues

The New Versions are in now, just got mine. works great !
When you say ‘new versions’ do you mean that they have changed the design or do you mean that they are fresh stock of the original design?

It sounds like the supplier of the screen or LCD and/or LED board had faulty parts shipped out during a period.

So far it has been perfect after I got my new return back. Just a UPDATE ! it would have already shown signs of a bad screen by now.

Well, it happened again to me. Right side of the screen just went dark. This is my 3rd unit with the exact same problem. My first two died after about 30 minutes of use. I really thought I was out of the woods with my latest one since I have over 2 hours on it. Today while testing the new firmware upgrade, it failed. To say I was bummed is an understatement.

I'm on the fence at this point. I'm considering going back to the iPad, but since Pixar is having good luck with the latest batch, I may try one more time. Fourth time is the charm, right?

Well, it happened again to me. Right side of the screen just went dark. This is my 3rd unit with the exact same problem. My first two died after about 30 minutes of use. I really thought I was out of the woods with my latest one since I have over 2 hours on it. Today while testing the new firmware upgrade, it failed. To say I was bummed is an understatement.

I'm on the fence at this point. I'm considering going back to the iPad, but since Pixar is having good luck with the latest batch, I may try one more time. Fourth time is the charm, right?

Sorry to hear about the issue. Going to recommend waiting two weeks before getting another replacement. Your DJI channel partner whether that be direct or a dealer will have more information on replacement. They are feverishly working on a long term solution to the units that have faced this production issue.

I waited for almost 8 weeks as they were waiting for the new batches to replace so far so good. my bad unit was purchased in DEC 2017

I waited for almost 8 weeks as they were waiting for the new batches to replace so far so good. my bad unit was purchased in DEC 2017
All three of my bad units where bought in March of this year.

Pixar, how much time do you think you have on your latest CS?

Sorry to hear about the issue. Going to recommend waiting two weeks before getting another replacement. Your DJI channel partner whether that be direct or a dealer will have more information on replacement. They are feverishly working on a long term solution to the units that have faced this production issue.
Hi Advexure,

So you don't think this has been resolved yet? I guess I could hold off, but it's painful using this thing with only half a screen.

If it goes bad again, I will send it back Again. they gatta get it right one day LOL , SO far DJI has been wonderful to me.

Has DJI published a "serial number range" for problematic UltraBrights?
Seems the only way to know a unit you receive is not prone to infant mortality is to burn it in for 10-20 hours.

I have read of other people experiencing sudden failure of the backlight on their CrystalSky monitors, so I wasn’t too surprised when the backlight in mine went off without warning.

I could see that the unit was still working as it made a sound if turned on & off and showed a very feint image if viewed at the correct angle. I tried removing & replacing the battery and restarting it without success.

Just as I was preparing to send the CrystalSky back for repair (and for no particular reason) I held the top and bottom buttons in for a few seconds and to my surprise, the backlight came back on!

Problem solved....

..... your mileage may vary..
Thanks this worked for me and saved me a lot of time and effort- thanks Leigh C

Reactions: MrTVR
Greetings. I purchased my CS 7.85” Ultra in Feb. of 2018 and used it for dozens of flights. A couple of weeks ago I took it out on a hot day and the backlight died. If you hold a flashlight up to it, you can still see it working, but it’s useless. Sent it to DJI for repair and they want $500 to fix my 15 month old $1,000 monitor. This seems totally ridiculous. I’m going to see if anybody has had any luck repairing these things themselves. I’m not interested in dropping $500 if these units are prone to failure.

Greetings. I purchased my CS 7.85” Ultra in Feb. of 2018 and used it for dozens of flights. A couple of weeks ago I took it out on a hot day and the backlight died. If you hold a flashlight up to it, you can still see it working, but it’s useless. Sent it to DJI for repair and they want $500 to fix my 15 month old $1,000 monitor. This seems totally ridiculous. I’m going to see if anybody has had any luck repairing these things themselves. I’m not interested in dropping $500 if these units are prone to failure.

Have you tried the fix I mentioned in my first post?

It worked for me and has worked for others too.

Experienced a flickering on the crystalsky 7.85 Ultra today, then the backlight went out completely. Its now working again after powering it down for awhile, but the screen still is flickering. It's out of warranty. What are the options and expected cost to send it in for repair to DJI?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44