Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

** INSPIRE 2 - NEW T MOTOR FOLDING PROPS **

I've never put mine into travel mode. Never been back into the foam case either. One of two cameras are always hanging on the bottom so that's the way it travels in the SUV while parked in Landing mode.

I must have an aversion to cases as the P4 is on the floor as well as the I2. Okay, 3-4 camera bodies too that could be in their case, but I use them too much to put into storage cases.

I suspect that the motor mount problem is more to do with the considerable torsional force exerted on the cf tube when entering & exiting travel mode than it is to do with prop wobbles.

I always pick the I2 up off the ground when entering or exiting travel mode.

I agree 100% with this practice! I cringe every time I see a video of someone changing modes while their bird is sitting on the ground. The footprint definitely narrows going into landing mode. Certainly there is a lot of torque going from the legs to the tube.

Reactions: MrTVR
I have folding props on my regular RC helicopter. What I notice is the hard shock they have when rotoring up against the hub along with the shake until they get up to speed. Given the I2 motor mount seems the weak link, I wonder if the carbon fiber jar on starting might affect that joint?

I would imagine any heavy vibration is harmful. I haven't seen enough to concern me with the folding props on the inspire but over the long haul I suppose it's possible. I'd be interested in knowing what props where in use on the birds that experienced the failures.

I have noticed some people recommending that the blades on folding props should be rotated (in a direction specific to the direction each prop rotates in) to pre-engage the prop blade with the hub in order to prevent the slap of the initial motor spin up to speed. This is as opposed to fully unfolding the blades, straight, before starting the motors.

Does anyone else agree with this?

Does the pre-tension on the prop prevent this initial ‘slap’ on startup?

Has anyone taken a high speed video of the props at startup?

I have noticed some people recommending that the blades on folding props should be rotated (in a direction specific to the direction each prop rotates in) to pre-engage the prop blade with the hub in order to prevent the slap of the initial motor spin up to speed. This is as opposed to fully unfolding the blades, straight, before starting the motors.

Does anyone else agree with this?

Does the pre-tension on the prop prevent this initial ‘slap’ on startup?

Has anyone taken a high speed video of the props at startup?

There really shouldn't be any pre-tension on the props. The props are a bit tight on the hubs when shipped from the factory. We recommend loosening them a little so they open easily. After that it is as simple as opening the blades fully extended as they would be in flight.

There really shouldn't be any pre-tension on the props. The props are a bit tight on the hubs when shipped from the factory. We recommend loosening them a little so they open easily. After that it is as simple as opening the blades fully extended as they would be in flight.

One more question, I have seen one comment that changing props (they weren’t referring to your props) can change the flight characteristics, necessitating adjustments to the sensitivity & gain settings. Have you noticed any significant changes after fitting the T-motor props?

PS, my props arrived today, very fast delivery! The quality looks good. I should get chance to test them over the weekend if the weather is ok.

One more question, I have seen one comment that changing props (they weren’t referring to your props) can change the flight characteristics, necessitating adjustments to the sensitivity & gain settings. Have you noticed any significant changes after fitting the T-motor props?

PS, my props arrived today, very fast delivery! The quality looks good. I should get chance to test them over the weekend if the weather is ok.

Any different prop can create changes in flight characteristics which is very subjective depending on the operator. Some people adjust sensitivity & gain settings to their I2 as soon as they get the copter to suit their likings.

It is no different then when you change any component. It all depends on how you like to fly. Most people who have purchased our new T-Motor props have left the settings alone and flown as is.

Let us know your thoughts after you fly the new props.

Reactions: MrTVR
First flight with the folding props today.

It’s nice to have props that don’t rattle & wobble.

Slightly concerned when I first started the motors as one motor was obviously shaking but this settled down quickly.

I have since realised that is is important to get the props fully open and straight before starting the motors as they can wobble a bit before they straighten up under centrifugal (centripetal?) force.

Case modified to fit. Good to go!

Five more flights (80 minutes & counting) and I love these props!

Whilst the noise level is about the same as the stock DJI props, the sound is much smoother and the Inspire looks so much more stable. The prop rattle has gone, the prop flutter has gone and the craft is more stable. When feeling the motors in flight (not for the feint hearted and certainly not something you will find sane people doing!) it’s clear that the stock props where creating much more vibration. Maybe this was the cause of the small number of motor mount failures that have been reported?

Looking forward to flying them on a more windy day to see how they perform.

So far, so good.

It just leaves me wandering why DJI have made us suffer their horrid rattly props for over a year without developing their own solution.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nylebrown77