Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Long duration video

Tim

Reaction score
Website
aerial.crystalmark.co.uk
Hi all,

I have a requirement to continuously film 4k 25fps for 2.5 hours. The OSMO is ideal because it's a pretty bumpy platform but on all my test runs, the video stops after 4 x 10 minute clips.

The set-up is a fast 90mps 64Gig SD (formatted through DJI GO) with an old phantom 2 battery on the external power cable. With this battery, the camera receives power for 5 hours.

Any idea how to get the OSMO + X3 to reliably record without human supervision until either the card is full or the battery is dead?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi all,

I have a requirement to continuously film 4k 25fps for 2.5 hours. The OSMO is ideal because it's a pretty bumpy platform but on all my test runs, the video stops after 4 x 10 minute clips.

The set-up is a fast 90mps 64Gig SD (formatted through DJI GO) with an old phantom 2 battery on the external power cable. With this battery, the camera receives power for 5 hours.

Any idea how to get the OSMO + X3 to reliably record without human supervision until either the card is full or the battery is dead?

Thanks,
Tim
As far as I'm aware it can't be done.
DJI tried to pull a fast one when the Inspire was released and allowed recording over 30 minutes continuously.
Unfortunately for them, that meant the X3 attracted a different tax rate into various countries since anything that records for less than 30 mins is classed as a 'camera' and anything over 30 mins is a 'camcorder' or video camera and thus subject to higher taxation.

They decided to knobble the recording time a few firmwares ago rather than pay up or suffer the wrath of the tax man.
Of course, they dressed it up in lies and said they were limiting the continuous recording time to 30 minutes to prevent 'overheating' - yeah right, of course that was the reason.....:rolleyes:

Of course now we have Brexit and this may change once we are free of the shackles of European Parliament cretins and their idiotic rules and regulations. Who knows.........

Reactions: james tulloch
Oh knickers!

Thanks for the reply. I was toying with buying an OSMO Mobile for this job but I'd have to also get another phone and then redesign the container and then it's too heavy so I'd have to upgrade the.... oh well, back to the drawingboard.

There's always the API....

Oh knickers!

Thanks for the reply. I was toying with buying an OSMO Mobile for this job but I'd have to also get another phone and then redesign the container and then it's too heavy so I'd have to upgrade the.... oh well, back to the drawingboard.

The other thing to remember is how you format the card will limit the maximum file size so if you have formatted to FAT32 instead of ExFAT you will have your files truncated at 4GB.
Either way, continuous recording will stop at 30 mins.

They decided to knobble the recording time a few firmwares ago rather than pay up or suffer the wrath of the tax man.
I probably could find it but I'm not sure if I commented on that thread:(
But I know you know which firmware that was. So which one was it?
Of course now we have Brexit and this may change once we are free of the shackles of European Parliament cretins and their idiotic rules and regulations. Who knows.........
Nigel and Trump are just a like:cool:
I know that:p
Couldn't control myself but seriously which firmware?

I probably could find it but I'm not sure if I commented on that thread:(
But I know you know which firmware that was. So which one was it?

Nigel and Trump are just a like:cool:
I know that:p
Couldn't control myself but seriously which firmware?
V1.7.0.90 of course. :p
Released on March 17th.

Thread you are thinking of is here.....

3/17 - Firmware 1.7 released

Reactions: slim.slamma
Humm, I wander if I can downgrade to firmware v1.4.1.80 just for this job.

I'm using the osmo for another job atm so don't want to risk it but maybe in a few days. Also not keen to screw around with my X3, it's very rarely used in the air since getting the X5.

I'll try it out and get back to you.

Oh knickers!

carefull!!! phone will also record a max time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humm, I wander if I can downgrade to firmware v1.4.1.80 just for this job.

I'm using the osmo for another job atm so don't want to risk it but maybe in a few days. Also not keen to screw around with my X3, it's very rarely used in the air since getting the X5.

I'll try it out and get back to you.

another reason i am still on 1.4.10.00 :) or is it 1.4.00.10??? confused now... and flying happy with it :D
boy is DJI messing up things for us at times...

Thanks Phatzo, the phone will only be able to configure and start the recording but then the osmo will be well out of range for 2.5 hours or so.

I've tried using the button on the handle to start recording, with wifi off, hoping that it is GO that is the problem but still stops after 29 minutes.

Downgrading the firmware seems the most likely option. Anyone know which version is the last before the video limit was added?

The Editor answered that for you a few posts back and even gave you a link to the thread :) check it. from 1.7 released march 14th...

Reactions: The Editor
Yep, that thread is for the Inspire 1.7 firmware but the OSMO firmware only goes to 1.6

I've got the 1.4 firmware file and I'm hoping that I can downgrade both the OSMO and the Inspire X3 camera without problem. The X3 has not been used on the Inspires much since I got the X5s so I'm happy to experiment! :)

try and let us know. i am not sure if you do not have to downgrade one bird but if it works out fine, another lesson learned :)

So... I optimistically emailed DJI support and explained that I'd like to record for 2 hours without manual intervention and the OSMO will be up to 40km away from me so I can't keep pressing the record button. This is their reply...

Use more than 2 SD Cards when recording.
-This is due to the reason that even in the highest SD Card memory capacity that our DJI Products supports, which is 64 Gb, you can only record and save for up to an hour depending on the video quality that you will be choosing.

I can't reach the record button but I can change the SD card? Genius.

TBH, DJI support have been really good in previous requests, so have Marionville Models, my closest dealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry