Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New cam tomorrow? DJI.com has a teaser now

On the DJI site. A link that goes nowhere. I grabbed a screenshot.

Ufbfq4Q.png

Reactions: Scotflieger
If it has a Micro Four Thirds lens mount, then you can probably find a zoom lens small enough and light enough to use. But MFT lenses don't have electronic zoom control, so you wouldn't be able to control the zoom from the remote.

I have this lens:

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens (Silver) V311020SU000

It's small and light (130 grams), and produces outstanding images. It is listed as a 12mm lens, but the MFT system has a 2.0x crop factor, making it a 24mm equivalent. Wide, but not fish-eye. And much better optics than our current camera.

I hope...

Zoom would be useful for building inspections too. But I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't have one. My priority would be a larger sensor with Prores recording. If they can add higher frame rates to that then I will be very happy. Expect to pay at least £1300 or more for it though. It isn't going to be cheap.

because its pretty useful for cinematography.
Yes, but of all the features we have been begging for, it's the first I would sacrifice. In favor of:
  • High-quality, larger sensor
  • High bit-rate files
  • High-quality lens
If we get those three, then I don't care about zoom.

Yeah, it's not going to be cheap at all. I'm guessing £1500 / $2000 for the camera + gimbal. Then another $500+ for a lens.
If it's a fixed lens or comes with a lens as standard then I'm guessing we can push that price up to $2500.

Why would they espouse the aperture and APS if it's a changeable lens. Moreover, why would DJI supply a lens if it is interchangeable? Lenses are not their core competency.

I am hoping that it is interchangeable, but would understand if it's not. It's hard to balance a camera/lens on a gimbal, and changing lenses would require re-balancing, which would require a gimbal that could be re-balanced, which would add to its weight.

But if it's not, why would they choose a 30mm equivalent when the Zuiko 24mm equivalent is about the same size and weight?

The Panasonic 30mm lens is 57.5mm x 36mm, weighs 115 grams, and costs $550
The Olumpus Zuiko 24mm lens is 56mm x 43mm, weighs 130 grams, and costs $700

I'd rather have the wider field of view. But again, they didn't ask me!

I am hoping that it is interchangeable, but would understand if it's not. It's hard to balance a camera/lens on a gimbal, and changing lenses would require re-balancing, which would require a gimbal that could be re-balanced, which would add to its weight.

But if it's not, why would they choose a 30mm equivalent when the Zuiko 24mm equivalent is about the same size and weight?

The Panasonic 30mm lens is 57.5mm x 36mm, weighs 115 grams, and costs $550
The Olumpus Zuiko 24mm lens is 56mm x 43mm, weighs 130 grams, and costs $700

I'd rather have the wider field of view. But again, they didn't ask me!

I'll eat my hat if it allows for different standard lenses of varying weight.

No way that's the case.

(Hat at the ready)

If it's interchangeable lenses then I'm betting that - like the Z15 - it will only support a couple of lenses.
Seeing that DJI logo on the lens in the picture though makes me think that they are OEMing someone else's glass. Probably that Leica lens .

I cant imagine it will be interchangable. I remember on the z15 trying a different lenses and despite being very similar in weight through off the balance of the gimbal quite a lot!! maybe due more to the weight distribution of the lens itself. Either way an m43 sensor for the inspire im straight on the pre order list. Only thing that worries me is the flight time up to 10mins, as going by Dji specs this means probably 6-7mins flight time!!! as their 18min for a tb47 is massively unrealistic unless you fly to 5% on the battery.

Let's not assume that the sensor is of a standard Micro Four Thirds size (18mm x 13.5mm).

We are assuming this new camera was designed with Black Magic Design, so let's look at their drone product, the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera. While that camera has a Micro Four Thirds lens mount, its sensor is of the Super 16 size (12.48mm x 7.02mm). Much much much larger than the Inspire 1's sensor (6.17mm x 4.55mm), but not a full MFT sensor. A comparison of total sensor area:

Inspire 1: 28.07 square millimeters
Super 16: 87.61 square millimeters
MFT: 243 square millimeters

So a Super 16 sensor would be three times the size of our current sensor, while a full MFT sensor would be about 8.5 times the size of our current sensor.

I would call a Super 16 sensor "large enough", and given it was designed by Black Magic Design, "the best sensor we can expect to carry on an Inspire 1". Anything larger would require an S900, I think.

Gimme gimme!

I would call a Super 16 sensor "large enough", and given it was designed by Black Magic Design, "the best sensor we can expect to carry on an Inspire 1". Anything larger would require an S900, I think.

Gimme gimme!

With the exception of the 4.6K sensor, BMD OEMs their sensors. That s16 sensor is a Fairchild product.

A better sensor and lens won't mean a thing unless they have the codecs sorted out. One site seemed to suggest it's MP4/MOV AVCHD. That would NOT be good. Especially if the bitrates are similar to the current camera. If they push it to be similar to the GH4 then fine, but really this needs to have Prores. Especially if I'm to be persuaded to part with cash.

A better sensor and lens won't mean a thing unless they have the codecs sorted out. One site seemed to suggest it's MP4/MOV AVCHD. That would NOT be good. Especially if the bitrates are similar to the current camera. If they push it to be similar to the GH4 then fine, but really this needs to have Prores. Especially if I'm to be persuaded to part with cash.
Hoping that that site is wrong. From the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera specs page:
Storage Type
Removable SDXC and SDHC cards.

Storage Format
Mac OS Extended or exFAT format. SD cards can be formatted in camera, or on any Mac or Windows computer. Formatting in camera recommended.

Storage Rates
1920 x 1080

CinemaDNG RAW - 65 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 27.5 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 18.4 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 12.75 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 5.6 MB/s

Rates based on 30 frames per second.

Compressed Recording Formats
Lossless CinemaDNG RAW at1920 x 1080 with film dynamic range. Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 422, 422 LT and 422 Proxy at 1920 x 1080 with either film or video dynamic range.
Note that those bit rates are for 1920x1080p footage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan