Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Firmware then Full IMU, Compass and VPS Calibration?

rmb

Reaction score
Website
overexposures.net
So I was over on the DJI forums looking for answer regarding the new DLog curves (never got an answer) but while I was reading through it seemed like everybody was lementing the fact that they were having trouble figuring out how to calibrate the VPS as if it we a manditory process. The moderator "DJI Mindy" even shared a DJI tutorial video on how to do it. BTW: it is in Chinese with english subtitles. Also there were folks saying that they didn't do it, but DEFINITLY recalibrated both the compass and IMU as they ALWAYS do after EVERY firmware update and, the moderator never jumped in to anything to the contrary. I was told by DJI on several occastions to NEVER recalibrate either unless told to by the app to do so as they (DJI) do it in very special environmental conditions, etc.

Man I am just confused, I could really use to hear from some real live users out there.

Thanks,

rb

We only do a VPS calibration when asked to do so and have not had any issues following the on screen instructions when using a laptop and Assistant 2. You have to position the calibration board properly and line up the green angle marks fairly close.

Unless our Inspires asks us to do a calibration or when we look at the sensor state status and the green indicator is larger than what we saw last we leave it alone.

Last edited:
Last silly question. The DJI forums sudgested that once Firmware was updated that I wiould need to do it for each set of batteries. Not sure how to do that as when I put on a new set there was no promped to do so.

Thanks, rb

I've done it as I don't fully trust DJI firmware updates or software which always seems buggy and screws something flight or camera related up. As my I2 does drift about while hovering, my opinion is that it probably doesn't hurt it to have it done if it will tighten up the drift a bit if the VPS is wonky and if they messed with the code for it - but they never will admit or say they did. I know my control sticks always seem to be different on a GO update so I also do the sticks calibration which smooths them out else they seem too touchy.

Never know what their programmers mess with in the code and I feel they omit a lot of what was done so I start over from scratch.

Last silly question. The DJI forums sudgested that once Firmware was updated that I wiould need to do it for each set of batteries. Not sure how to do that as when I put on a new set there was no promped to do so.

Thanks, rb

The battery update may be slow and pop up an "Inconsistent firmware. Update needed." prompt if you change them. Sometimes it will happen on a new restart. Give it time.

I get the same with the cameras when I switch them. I got the X5S update done, put on the X4S and got the prompt to upgrade it (Again "Inconsistent firmware" - which would be better if DJI said what was being updated!). And same again when I put on the X5S back on again. No doubt the X7 would do the same thing too (Don't have one.). Good thing the tablet is connected via cellular so the "Inconsistent firmware updates" for whatever can proceed in the field. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: floatpilot2
Yeah. Ya know, I am not much of a complainer, but it would literally take nothing for DJI to up their game with more in depth tutorials and some live webinars. In fact I would guess that it would save them a fortune on silly and redundant tech support calls as well as DJI replace and repair incidents.

DJI, if you are listening, I am a professional video producer/director/editor and color grader and will volunteer to produce your ongoing training curriculum for barter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian