Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not so stable in wind gusts...

I think not. In real life, not even close to the simulator. This is another thing. A lot of people with the same issue. Wich fw are you running?
1.6 here

Strange is that not everybody is complainig. So most of the Inspires are working just fine. If there is something wrong and a lot of people complain, I´m sure DJI should re-check everything. May be a re-tuned FW is required...
I don´t know but I want my Inspire to fly better than my Phantom!

Some people are very focused on getting perfect shots or fly in tight areas both of which require a very steady bird. Others have different needs.

Also the X5 changes the handling characteristics. I've heard this from a number of people. I never had an X3 so can't say say myself.

Can you explain? Simulator actually uses the flight controller on the aircraft. Have you tried it?

It's good to a point but from what I've seen it doesn't reflect the real world well enough.

We should make a distinction between drift and stability. The Inspire is more stable than a Phantom in the wind. It doesn't twitch or rock nearly as much. However, it will drift in a decent wind more than a P2 which is surprising. I've seen both of my Inspires handle a strong wind very well but get pushed 20 - 30ft.

Adjusting gains will help only so much. It is as if the FW has some internal dampening that allows some drift to maximize stability.

People have said it started in FW 1.3 and was sort of fixed in 1.4 and then came back in 1.5 or 1.6.

Yes, I tried the simulator, but wind does not act as real life wind, wich is variable and affects my Inspire performance a lot.
In real life the Inspire cannot deal with this variations I think. Some time compensating, some times not compensating, and sometimes over-compensating. This, with the plus of the operator trying to do what the Inspire does not, ends in a mess of movement. Far from ideal to get smooth, predictable shots.
In strong, but steady winds, the Inspire performs just fine.

The other thing to consider is, perhaps the bug is related to the VPS, input to which the simulator doesn't simulate. The altitude drop of 1-2m occurs for me when I'm close to an object (a tree 30m in the air I'm flying above of for example).

Here's mine losing 1-2m in a light wind - not touching either of the sticks, at all throughout the video.

Last edited:
your Inspire is moving a lot (btw, nice place to live in!)
I can see more or less the same behavior in mine. Was that a combination of the drone and yourself trying to get it stable in one place? (what´s VPS?)
I was trying to do a shot of a man standing by a window high in a building. I was watching the Inspire from maybe 20m, trying to hover close to the window: a real struggle with just a breeze. In a moment, I moved my eyes from the Inspire to see the video feed, just to watch in the monitor how close the Inspire was getting to the window... just in the 1/4 second that took me to change from direct view to the camera signal. Scary. I would expect a more predictable behavior.
So waiting for a bug correction in the current FW ?

your Inspire is moving a lot (btw, nice place to live in!)
I can see more or less the same behavior in mine. Was that a combination of the drone and yourself trying to get it stable in one place? (what´s VPS?)
I was trying to do a shot of a man standing by a window high in a building. I was watching the Inspire from maybe 20m, trying to hover close to the window: a real struggle with just a breeze. In a moment, I moved my eyes from the Inspire to see the video feed, just to watch in the monitor how close the Inspire was getting to the window... just in the 1/4 second that took me to change from direct view to the camera signal. Scary. I would expect a more predictable behavior.
So waiting for a bug correction in the current FW ?

VPS = Vision Positioning System. Nope - I wasn't touching the sticks at all.

The other thing to consider is, perhaps the bug is related to the VPS, input to which the simulator doesn't simulate. The altitude drop of 1-2m occurs for me when I'm close to an object (a tree 30m in the air I'm flying above of for example).

Here's mine losing 1-2m in a light wind - not touching either of the sticks, at all throughout the video.

Wow, that's insane. I've never seen that on my v1 or Pro (admittedly with only an X3 so far).

Wow, that's insane. I've never seen that on my v1 or Pro (admittedly with only an X3 so far).

I guess you see what I mean now that my P3P is 1000x more stable than my I1 Pro - the entire reason I got the Inspire! What I should probably have done is included the sticks in the video so you can see I'm not moving them.

Would anyone from DJI on the forum be able to help here?

Well, So I´m exactly in the same as you...
I will resume the setup of my I1 to see what we have (fw, tuning, etc.)

Are you guys all seeing similar behavior to what mabnz is seeing?

That's really (really) unstable.

Mabnz, can you possibly post your gains screenshots (all of them)?

I assume you guys seeing this are all on 1.6? Are you all using an X5?

Mine behaves more or less like Mabnz. A nightmare to land in tight places when it´s windy.
I1 / X3. IMU calibrated. Gains STD. FW 1.6 (altered only some parameter like EXPO=0,30, and brakes to 115)

I think your definition of light wind may be different than mine. Looks fairly blustery. But good example of wind getting the better of the Inspire.

I would say that something is wrong with your Inspire.
Neither of mine behave that way. Last week I was flying in sustained 20mph gusting around 30mph (I was in a valley that was funneling the wind). Whilst I wouldn't call it fun, the Inspire was stable and certainly didn't exhibit changes in altitude like portrayed in your video.
It is possible you have a faulty barometer. These unit are very small and can develop a leak (they are sealed) and are VERY tiny at only 1mm or less in size!

I would say that something is wrong with your Inspire.
Neither of mine behave that way. Last week I was flying in sustained 20mph gusting around 30mph (I was in a valley that was funneling the wind). Whilst I wouldn't call it fun, the Inspire was stable and certainly didn't exhibit changes in altitude like portrayed in your video.
It is possible you have a faulty barometer. These unit are very small and can develop a leak (they are sealed) and are VERY tiny at only 1mm or less in size!

I kinda agree, but the barometer being faulty wouldn't explain the roll movement would it?

Last edited:
It may have been VPS related to some extent in this case depending in what was under it at the time. If for instance it was over the top of the hedge then it may have been getting returns from the ground and the top of the hedge. If anyone is always flying with VPS disabled perhaps they could comment on stability.

Reactions: The Editor
I kinda agree, but the barometer being faulty wouldn't explain the roll movement would it?
Possibly but looking at your video I would say the vertical movement is much more of an issue over the lateral shifting.
As Prime Motivator says, you also need to totally rule out an VPS involvement by switching it off and I would also climb in altitude to get clear of the 3m that VPS can be active to.
I would also raise your landing gear and increase your basic gains (Pitch and Roll) to around 120 and see if that improves matters.

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth