Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not so stable in wind gusts...

Possibly but looking at your video I would say the vertical movement is much more of an issue over the lateral shifting.
As Prime Motivator says, you also need to totally rule out an VPS involvement by switching it off and I would also climb in altitude to get clear of the 3m that VPS can be active to.
I would also raise your landing gear and increase your basic gains (Pitch and Roll) to around 120 and see if that improves matters.

+1

I've adjusted pitch/rolls gains to 120, and there seems to be less lateral movement but still vertical drop/gain of 1 to 2 metres (without touching sticks). This is with both VPS on and off, and at a height of >3m AGL.

The video of the flight below is with VPS off.

Last edited:
I've adjusted pitch/rolls gains to 120, and there seems to be less lateral movement but still vertical drop/gain of 1 to 2 metres (without touching sticks). This is with both VPS on and off, and at a height of >3m AGL. The video of the flight below is with VPS off.
In the gusty conditions you are flying in the variations in height is not unusual. The I1 uses the Barometer unit to maintain a stable height not the GPS or VPS. As the gusts occur the air pressure changes and the I1 responds to maintain height based on a constant pressure. If you are higher in clean less turbulent air the height is better maintained.

Last edited:
My setup:
App: version 2.5.1
Aircraft: 1.4.00.10+ (where did I read 1.6 ???)
RC: version 1.5.70
Sensivity:
Attitude 100
Brake 115
GAIN: STD (100 all)
So the gain settings affects how the Inspire reacts? I feel a lack of reaction, that´s why I think the wind can move it so much... I will try raising the gains

I have the same issue and slowly drifts in gusty wind conditions It's like one of the stability sensors is getting conflicting information.

To my mind, it seems like a firmware bug, or hardware constraint - it's almost as if input data from the barometer isn't being processed quickly enough, or there's an inherent delay. This definitely isn't the case with my Phantom - the Phantom just doesn't have enough guts to power through strong wind, but it will react quickly.

The vertical oscillation is what most concerns me; if I look at the altitude on the tablet and the drone itself, there seems to be roughly a one second delay between the altitude on the tablet updating (and reflecting the new altitude as a result of wind/air pressure) and the drone reacting to the new measurement (by increasing altitude).

Last edited:
So I went all the way up to 130 in all gains.
Could not test it well in FW 1.4: I had to update FW in a battery so I downloaded 1.5. Then DJI GO said I must update my FW, so went to 1.6
Adjusted all gains to 130. Performs way better than before. There is still some altitude change, but I thinks it´s because of air pressure fluctuation and barometric sensing as someone said. In this regard, the Phantom 2 has small changes in altitude in gusts too

Reactions: damoncooper
I'm interested to know if this problem was resolved? My new inspire pro has similar problem - seems much more unstable than my old Inspire 1 and also my P3P, and also demonstrates this random dropping in altitude. I watched it drop 3-4 metres without input from me, and then looking at the display on the screen, saw that the altitude was not updating correctly. I eventually landed and it showed 7m altitude on landing, and then a second later it was back to 0m.

I'm pretty sure my old inspire was not like this, and as it stands I don't really have much confidence that this is working correctly. I am runnign the latest firmware (1.8.something) and gains all at 100. The wind is mild outside (as good as it ever is). What should I do? I haven't done an advanced IMU calibration since receiving it, but then I don't think I ever did on my last one, or my P3P and it was fine.

Will try running one later, to see how that goes

Well, mine is behaving way better with gains high up. I1/X3.
Anyway try a correct IMU calibration
Gains corrected behavior in wind gusts, but in steady, mild wind it behaved correctly.

I agree with Ale. What is the problem with doing an IMU calibration??? You didn't (ever) do one on your old Inspire and haven't done one yet on your new one. Unlike compass calibration I don't think you can do too many IMU calibrations. I do one with every firmware update and occasionally in between after a day of flying.

I agree with Ale. What is the problem with doing an IMU calibration??? You didn't (ever) do one on your old Inspire and haven't done one yet on your new one. Unlike compass calibration I don't think you can do too many IMU calibrations. I do one with every firmware update and occasionally in between after a day of flying.
there's nothing 'wrong' with doing one, but I never had the need. I check the sensors every flight, and they were always in spec. it also behaved fine.

I have now done an IMU cali for the pro and it seems a bit better. But it's still jittery and the image is moving around quite a bit on the ipad. I'm going to continue with the assumption that this is because the FOV is narrower and i'm flying a bird that weighs probably 3x what I was before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell