Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a crash with my copter and am seeking urgent help. It went down via a falling branch in the rain forest and resulted in the gimbal snapping clean off right at end of what was probably my best shot of the project and also the last of the day. Attached are photos off the damage.

My four problems are:

1. Can't lower the arms from landing mode to get it to travel mode to either send away or to catch my flight home from the shoot with it packed away. After the crash I inserted a fresh battery and used the RC to raise the arms from flight position to landing but it has refused to move in any direction since. If anyone knows how to manually do this or too remove the arms completely please let me know otherwise I'm stuck here.

2. What needs replacing? From what I can see, the copter and my X5 camera seem fine. The mounting plate and the gimbal mechanics are completely ruined and twisted though, is it possible to replace those parts without having to buy a new X5?

3. Where to send? I live in Australia and I've only heard of one company that does drone repairs in Sydney. Is it best to send to DJI to repair regardless or can this sort of repair be done by a company in Australia?

4. Getting the footage from the last shot. The file is on the SD card and is representing the appropriate file size, but can't be opened. I'm guessing the sudden connection cut when the gimbal was separated from the drone has caused an issue with finishing the file write. Can this file be fixed so I can see the nightmare unfold but also get my last shot that I need for the project?

Any help on any of these issues is hugely appreciated and many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMAG0792.jpg
    IMAG0792.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0793.jpg
    IMAG0793.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0794.jpg
    IMAG0794.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0795.jpg
    IMAG0795.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 177
Using your image IMAG0792 for reference, if you look to the left of where that photo ends there is a hole. If you look down it, you will see a slotted screw. That is the threaded rod that raises and lowers the landing gear. Use a slot screwdriver to lower manually. Hopefully, it's not too bent to turn. You may have to remove the absorbing board to access it. Not 100% sure.

Reactions: eldorado
Sorry for your loss @JD747. The video file requires the camera to be powered up to correctly close the file. This was an old problem with the original X3 if you powered down without stopping filming; that is now fixed. If you cutdown the torn black ribbon cable in the gimbal you may be able to reconnect it sufficiently to apply power. If the gimbal is so destroyed you may find the camera internals are equally displaced. I would claim for a new X5 on my insurance.

Yea sadly that's a new X5, that's pretty much the point where they go with any form of impact.

very sorry for your loss

Using your image IMAG0792 for reference, if you look to the left of where that photo ends there is a hole. If you look down it, you will see a slotted screw. That is the threaded rod that raises and lowers the landing gear. Use a slot screwdriver to lower manually. Hopefully, it's not too bent to turn. You may have to remove the absorbing board to access it. Not 100% sure.

Thank you Alastair, that worked a charm. Now I can get it home!

As for the camera I am crossing my fingers. Any idea how to reconnect the black tape enough to get power to it to close the file?

Thank you Alastair, that worked a charm. Now I can get it home!

As for the camera I am crossing my fingers. Any idea how to reconnect the black tape enough to get power to it to close the file?
There is no reconnecting the ribbon cable and they are not available from any supplier at this time. You can try inserting the card into an working Inspire or possibly a Phantom 3 to recover the file. I personally would copy it to my PC to save the broken file before proceeding with any recovery option. I use Remo repair and it has worked perfect on 2 files for me and its a free program. These files however where from a boscam not a DJI product, but they both use mp4 format.

Thanks for the idea @burlbark and to the others for your ideas and support. The files are unsupported in REMO so far but I've spoken to them in the hopes they can point me in the right direction. I have backed up so if the software fails I'll look out for another Inspire flying past around Sydney.

The gimbal appears to be impossible to buy without the camera body attached. Does anyone know if DJI would attempt to put my existing X5 onto a new gimbal system?

Thanks for the idea @burlbark and to the others for your ideas and support. The files are unsupported in REMO so far but I've spoken to them in the hopes they can point me in the right direction. I have backed up so if the software fails I'll look out for another Inspire flying past around Sydney.

The gimbal appears to be impossible to buy without the camera body attached. Does anyone know if DJI would attempt to put my existing X5 onto a new gimbal system?
At this point your best bet is to sell the broken unit on ebay and buy another. You can try sending it in to DJI and see what they quote you for replacement. The x5 is the whole complete gimbal/camera there is no splitting it up. I am sourcing parts as they become available.

Jeremy, USdronerepair.com

At this point your best bet is to sell the broken unit on ebay and buy another. You can try sending it in to DJI and see what they quote you for replacement. The x5 is the whole complete gimbal/camera there is no splitting it up. I am sourcing parts as they become available.

Jeremy, USdronerepair.com

From DJI:
As far as i know, if only the gimbal part was damaged while there are no damage to the camera and the lens then we can only replace or repair the gimbal.
But the final result of your case still should be determined after we received your X5.

x5 camera and gimbal with lens is $2199.00 US. without the lens is $1699
That's pretty expensive compared to $550 for the x3 camera and gimbal.
Buy Zenmuse X5 | DJI Store
if the central frame is damaged (image 795 looks like the I1 is twisted) it's another $375. and what ever else they may find.
OUCH! sorry for your loss!

There is a terminal file for Mac that can take a file like yours and complete the unfinished video file so you can use it. I ran into a power line and burned the drone I have (inspire 1) and after I put the unfinished video I was taking at the time of the crash into it and it worked! The file is called djifix and can be searched for on Google. I have uploaded it here but I would make sure there isn't an update.

Instructions: Repairing Corrupt DJI Phantom or Inspire Video Files

Attachments

• djifix.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 4

The Gimbal can be repaired by DJI, cost will be approximately $350AUD, wait time however will be in the vicinity of 6 to 8 weeks minimum.

Thanks, I did manage to retrieve my last file with the same program as @Jesse Techno suggested. Thankfully there's great shots before she went down.

Unfortunately DJI is on holidays for a week over Chinese New Year so nothing will be done until they get back but I'm assuming there will be a back log so the wait time may increase!

Update for all those who encounter this problem in the future. It has been quite the journey to figure out and get sorted, im surprised no one has thought to share information and provide answers for what is the weakest part of the copter that breaks and is apparently quite common.

After all the few "repair" places in Australia told me it was impossible to repair the gimbal and were trying to sell me a whole new x5 camera body just to get a new gimbal, i eventually had to pay to private courier to a DJI repair shop in Hong Kong as Australia post doesn't take the size dimensions.

But all the run around chasing answers for over month payed off, DJI have quoted $300US to replace and fix gimbal and gimbal mount parts. Better than the $4000 quoted to fix the problem here in Australia.

Good luck to all those future victims. Im looking into a bracket that supports this area for future flights.

Reactions: CoreySnipes
The Gimbal can be repaired by DJI, cost will be approximately $350AUD, wait time however will be in the vicinity of 6 to 8 weeks minimum.
Hopefully this is true. I just broke mine. slight crash and only about 4 foot, landed on grass upside down. But just the shake of it shook the top motor on the gimbal loose. Hopefully DJI can help me out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo