Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CrystalSky issues?

Regarding questions and concerns surrounding the CS Ultra

From September through year end we didn't have single issue or report with CS Ultras. Two days into the new year we had three reports of Ultras going out within 48 hours. All lived a sad ending in the same way. Direct Advexure replacements were provided on these units as unfortunately they were during time-sensitive operations. None of these cases occurred in temperatures over 70 degrees F. The fact that these reports all came in the same 48 hour period after months of use was quite alarming and difficult to pinpoint as a hardware or software issue in these three instances.

Since then we have had a few additional similar reports all of which have been replaced and are operating the way the should based on the latest feedback we have. Whether there was a production batch that suffered from an inconsistency is yet to be confirmed. From what has been seen, the overheating messages that started coming up in early January (did not see this message in 2017) do not seem to be correlated with ambient air temp as we have seen them come up in cooler temperatures. Also, after just a few minutes operating, even though following the message appearing, the CS has been able to continue to perform for 3-5 pairs of flight batteries as it should with no additional message appearing and no deterioration in performance.

DJI is aware of these reports as well as the units that have gone out and have the units in their possession for review and further analysis with their engineering team. Both we and hundreds of our CS Ultra owners continue to be impressed with the output of the CS Ultra, runtime (over the alternatives), and ease of operation with a dedicated viewing device (with enterprise users wishing the Pilot app had more to offer). We are continuing to monitor reports, questions, and topics of conversation around the CS Ultra to ensure all necessary parties have information, feedback from the user base, and are aware of any reported faults to ensure professional, enterprise and consumer users can rely on their equipment for safe aerial operation.

Questions, feedback and comments are all welcome. Safe, productive, and smooth operations to all. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing. Unbelievable. Weird, the red line appeared after a FW update??

Yes it did. I opened the box. Was fine on the old firmware. Upgrade to the new one and there it was. Most disappointing as I had high hopes with this new UB. Other than the red line it works but was only able to get two very brief flights with both the I1 and I2 on consecutive days. Strange weather we are having here for the past week or so.

So does anyone have experience with getting a CS repaired (DJI turnaround time, service, etc.)

We have two CSs and one suddenly lost quite a bit of brightness soon after we got it - and the right half is even darker, same as with Stan. The thing is we may need them for jobs so we are not sure of how long DJI takes to get things repaired.

My Ultra blacked out on me mid flight on my P4P. Luckily I had LOS and was able to land. I then had to remove the battery as the unit would not turn on. When it finally came back up the screen brightness no longer adjust and half the screen is darker than the other. Sigh!!!

My first failure happened in December 2017. It took over 2 months to get a replacement. I think they were just overwhelmed with a product that was not appropriately designed. It failed with this same portion of the screen turning gray within 2 flights. I just decided to use it until June when CrystalSky Monitor ultra units became available for immediate sale by the vendors. Then I sent it in and I received the repaired/refurbished unit within two weeks and it has been working correctly since that time.
Hope this helps!
Bill

So does anyone have experience with getting a CS repaired (DJI turnaround time, service, etc.)

We have two CSs and one suddenly lost quite a bit of brightness soon after we got it - and the right half is even darker, same as with Stan. The thing is we may need them for jobs so we are not sure of how long DJI takes to get things repaired.

We have typically been seeing them turned around within 1-3 days. Feel free to PM us with your CAS and we can work on getting that expedited for you. What takes time is the transit if you are far from the main DJI facility here in CA.

Reactions: marctronixx
Advexure, what is your experience with the high brightness CS?
Do you have a list of the serial numbers and or batch numbers of the ultra-bright that were bad? How about the high brightness any problems or fixes there?
Has DJI come out with a new batch of ultra and high brightness that isn't having troubles
I'm considering buying the high brightness, but if there are still troubles I'm not going to bother.
Seems kind of silly to buy something only to have it sent out when we know there's problems.
I just wish there was a list of serial numbers to stay away from !!
Anybody with knowledge or experience in this is welcome to comment.
Especially new purchases in the last for 5 months.

Last edited:
Advexure, what is your experience with the high brightness CS?
Do you have a list of the serial numbers and or batch numbers of the ultra-bright that were bad? How about the high brightness any problems or fixes there?
Has DJI come out with a new batch of ultra and high brightness that isn't having troubles
I'm considering buying the high brightness, but if there are still troubles I'm not going to bother.
Seems kind of silly to buy something only to have it sent out when we know there's problems.
I just wish there was a list of serial numbers to stay away from !!
Anybody with knowledge or experience in this is welcome to comment.
Especially new purchases in the last for 5 months.

Hi @Doc1500, the High Brightness version of the CrystalSky has been completely problem free and did not have the backlight module issue that the CS Ultra has had earlier in its time. You can purchase the CS High Brightness with 100%. We have a few CS High Units with some nice savings in our "deals" section which you will find on our website.

If we can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to PM, email or give us a call. Our team is here to help. :)

Hi @Doc1500, the High Brightness version of the CrystalSky has been completely problem free and did not have the backlight module issue that the CS Ultra has had earlier in its time. You can purchase the CS High Brightness with 100%. We have a few CS High Units with some nice savings in our "deals" section which you will find on our website.

If we can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to PM, email or give us a call. Our team is here to help. :)
To my knowledge there's no other monitor on the market with claimed 2000 nits brightness. Even very respected Atomos brand do not challenge existing technology beyond 1500 nits brightness. Apparently DJI pushed the envelope too far trying to squeeze so high brightness from a screen not really capable to deal with. I'm just waiting for my CS Ultra (which went black mid-flight on Cendence with M200, glad we have RTH button handy) to come back from California repair facility.

Q: can one expect more secured performance by setting permanent brightness level at - say - 2/3 of a scale? Somewhere in between Bright and Ultra Bright, another words?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo