Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 - New Mount and 360 Camera

Few questions, what brand and model 360 cam are you using? The first gen samsung 360 would work with gear down. The second gen would need a modification to the design for sure.

If you can give me a couple measurements I can make one that would work just with the gear down. I would need the bottom of the Inspire 2 to the ground with gear down. And also the flat of the 360 camera attachment point to the other end of the camera. The red loctite would be a requirement too, that that the vibration wouldnt unscrew the camera mid flight.
Dan, Received the Insta360 One X.... great little 360 camera and smaller than I had expected.
The distance of the I2 with Landing gear down. Floor to I2 Belly is 6" (155mm) and the length of the OneX is 4.5" (115mm), a difference between the 2 measurement: Apx. 1.5" (40mm).

I'm interested in your mount, let me know your thoughts with the OneX 360.
At bottom of Web Page are Specs. There is a standard mount point at the bottom of Camera... normally for a mount stick. When Using the stick, it removes stick & camera from it's Pano pictures & videos.

I'd like to get it as low as possible... maybe 1/4-1/2" clearance between ground & camera.

An approximation photo attached.
OneX and Inspire2.jpg

I'll take a look at editing the design, and post an update soon. :)
Looking forward to your update!
If you feel you have a workable design, go ahead an make one... I'll take it.
As an afterthought... the camera's longer body itself basically creates it's own extension, which might work out pretty good. In walking with camera on stick... it has an amazingly good stabilization feature that should provide a very stable aerial image too.

I finished the design. This will allow the 360 Cam to be forward of the Inspire gimbal. 0.5" off the ground, and allows for a 360 cam of 4.5" or shorter. Has a 1/4-20 tripod mount insert (red). Theres also a hole near the insert that allows the attachment of an emergency lanyard incase vibration loosens the camera. You would definitely need to use some loctite too on the threads. and a 1/4-20 to 1/4-20 coupler from camera to mount. Should also be sturdy enough for a tripod mount. I'll see about printing it soon.1568982846174.png

1568982846174.png

I finished the design. This will allow the 360 Cam to be forward of the Inspire gimbal. 0.5" off the ground, and allows for a 360 cam of 4.5" or shorter. Has a 1/4-20 tripod mount insert (red). Theres also a hole near the insert that allows the attachment of an emergency lanyard incase vibration loosens the camera. You would definitely need to use some loctite too on the threads. and a 1/4-20 to 1/4-20 coupler from camera to mount. Should also be sturdy enough for a tripod mount. I'll see about printing it soon.
Looks Great!
Like the extension to max extension.

Visually the "forward of gimbal" has me a little confused. Isn't this mounting mid-ship under belly behind gimbal area? Are you meaning if X5S / X4S is off this would suspend a little in ft of the mount point... if X5S was mounted, wouldn't it be in the way of 360 camera position or is it below the camera lens too?

I was visualizing the 360 rearward away from ft camera below the camera line. But now that I think about it, you could use the sm pilot's camera for flight visual.

When able to print, put me down for one!

Sorry for the confusing description. You're right, mid ship. The angled extension arm just gives you more room if you decide to mount your X5S and put it on a tripod. The other design had some issues depending on tripod used, hitting the X5S camera arm.

I've got the files ready for print. I'll put you down for one. The additional material etc, will probably up the price to around $100-105 shipped though.

Sorry for the confusing description. You're right, mid ship. The angled extension arm just gives you more room if you decide to mount your X5S and put it on a tripod. The other design had some issues depending on tripod used, hitting the X5S camera arm.

I've got the files ready for print. I'll put you down for one. The additional material etc, will probably up the price to around $100-105 shipped though.
I'll email my address.
Thanks!

I'll email my address.
Thanks!

I've finally been able to finish the Inspire 2 Tripod / 360 Camera Mount. Please see attached images and let me know if you're still interested. I went ahead and made 5 of them, incase others may be interested. This should work without issue with your Insta360 One X. There's a few additional holes to tie a safety lanyard. And I would highly recommend using loctite on all threads.

20191001_162852.jpg

20191001_162841.jpg

20191001_162817.jpg

20191001_162658.jpg

I've finally been able to finish the Inspire 2 Tripod / 360 Camera Mount. Please see attached images and let me know if you're still interested. I went ahead and made 5 of them, incase others may be interested. This should work without issue with your Insta360 One X. There's a few additional holes to tie a safety lanyard. And I would highly recommend using loctite on all threads.
Dan, Looks great and anxious to try it out and see how the OneX mounts up.

Thanks for the order and prompt shipping!

Dan, received and looks like a perfect fit.
Mount goes on very smooth and fits the I2 body very nice.
The dual-ended tripod screw I acquired required a little trimming to allow the OneX to flush up to mount. Might be better to get a shorter screw mount without the thick center section is desired to increase ground clearance.

Camera One X to ground Clearance is about 4-5mm from ground, which works for flat surface.

The 360 One X is a highly rated, great performer... probably for the price range on of the best.
Has extremely good anti-shake technology and the 360 format is extremely good.

Looking forward to trying it and seeing how much the forward X5S interferes and compare it to camera not on gimbal.

Uploaded several photos to help visualize the mount and the One X camera mounted.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 29
Additional Photos of Inspire 2 and 360 Mount.

Attachments

• PIc6.jpg
    PIc6.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Pic7.jpg
    Pic7.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Pic8.jpg
    Pic8.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Pic9.jpg
    Pic9.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Pic10.jpg
    Pic10.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 15
  • Pic11.jpg
    Pic11.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Pic12.jpg
    Pic12.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the great pics. Looking forward to some 360 video links too :)

I'll have to look into making the mount not go so low, to account for the coupler. Also, another alternative would be to take a 1/4-20 screw and thread it down through the top. Then screw the 360 cam onto the thread that's exposed below. Cannot stress more the importance of loctite either.

Very interested to hear more.

Thanks,
Dan

Also, be sure both screws are fastened on the mount plate that pivots in place to secure the mount to the Inspire 2. I'm sure you're well aware, I just get very paranoid with anything going up in the air. :)
Yep, agree on both.. loctite and 2nd mount screw. The actually mount direct from mount would raise it up another 4mm about.

All looks great... rain or winds here... just waiting for a nice day.

I have two versions working one is a rear bottom mount and the other is a top mount. For I1 and I2
see post:
Sample video links in post

They both work so well I leave them on all the time (though the prop view issue is a bit annoying)
Currently making a version that will attach the GoPro Maxx in place of the standard I2 and I1 camera. It will take a few more iterations for strength and flight test I will post when done. I noticed a version for sale in Canada however concerns over strenght and wobble that is why I am designing one that locks the suspension. I have found little value in using isolation mounts with the GoPro 360 since the built in stablization works real well. I have not tested the GoPro Maxx yet however, it is next up (it is lighter and more stable ) will keep you posted

Reactions: zothar
The Mount made by @zothar is great, very nicely made... no complaints.

The intended or visualized results skipped the mark.
The One X on the bottom of Inspire is so close that it produced the expected results but not desired results.
The image of the Inspire consuming the upper view reduced the intent of the 360. A nicely performed Pano provides a much better view.

The camera needs to be on a 3-4 ft pole... the small diameter type that 360 camera's auto-remove from image.
I've been pondering putting a magnet (strength??) into the Inspire 360 mount's 1/4 screw and after getting up into hover, snap the stick onto the magnet.

The touchy variable is strength of magnet; to hold camera & stick but not so strong that when you return to LZ you can't easily tilt the stick to release the magnet's hold. You don't want to put force to release that causes the Inspire to tilt or react while your hands are off the RC's sticks and you're standing under the Inspire.

A weak or insulated magnet having enough power to hold the camera stick would be ample.
Not sure on weight, but a long threaded rod might work too.

This would place the One X low enough the Inspire wouldn't be consuming the upper section and provide a much better 360 image.

Reactions: zothar
Also, be sure both screws are fastened on the mount plate that pivots in place to secure the mount to the Inspire 2. I'm sure you're well aware, I just get very paranoid with anything going up in the air. :)
Amen if its moving it need fasteners and locktite

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah