Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What are your Gimbal Settings on the Inspire 2?

Reaction score
Lets learn from each other....

What are your settings for the (Advanced) Gimbal Settings?
We like to make smooth videos and are looking for some tips for these settings.

On DJI 4 Go App: go to: Gimbal Settings -> Advanced Settings
Our settings are:

• Max Gimbal Pitch Speed (8)
  • Gimbal Pitch Smoothness (17)
  • Gimbal Pitch EXP 75

• Max Gimbal Yaw Speed (10)
  • Gimbal Yaw Smoothness (18)
  • Gimbal Yaw EXP (100)

• Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode (52)

Reactions: ReesAerials
I'm at the following values:

• Max Gimbal Pitch Speed (6)
  • Gimbal Pitch Smoothness (24)
  • Gimbal Pitch EXP 84
  • Max Gimbal Yaw Speed (6)
  • Gimbal Yaw Smoothness (26)
  • Gimbal Yaw EXP (85)
  • Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode (47)

Watch those "gimbal yaw smoothness in follow mode" values - they can dramatically affect the aircraft handling. We've already had to straighten out a few pilots that tweaked that value and couldn't figure out why their I2's carried on doing pirouettes long after they left off the yaw stick ;)

Ok. Yeah, I'm testing these over the next few days and will report my experience. What level of "Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode" would you recommend for cinematic filming based on your experiences?

Whatever values suit the filming and flying you're doing - so if the above values work for you, then great - but be aware of the reduction in yaw responsiveness and what that means once the camera is in follow mode. If it starts to cause a sticky situation, switch back to free mode, or quickest way to get response back is to drop into ATTI with the RC switch.

The thing that catches people out is that the handling changes quite a bit with that value from Gimbal Free to Gimbal Follow and they don't realise what's caused the change, panic, start changing all the other exp and gains etc... just a simple camera mode switch over wouldn't cause that would it.... yep, it does ;) !

Reactions: deltalimatango
Whatever values suit the filming and flying you're doing - so if the above values work for you, then great - but be aware of the reduction in yaw responsiveness and what that means once the camera is in follow mode. If it starts to cause a sticky situation, switch back to free mode, or quickest way to get response back is to drop into ATTI with the RC switch.

The thing that catches people out is that the handling changes quite a bit with that value from Gimbal Free to Gimbal Follow and they don't realise what's caused the change, panic, start changing all the other exp and gains etc... just a simple camera mode switch over wouldn't cause that would it.... yep, it does ;) !

I think all those parameters are just for the Gimbal and does not affect aircraft behavior, just the Gimbal.

Errr..., nope, certainly effects aircraft response in earlier versions of Dji Go and firmware to the point that the aircraft could not be yawed if things were set too high. The setting function's been moderated in the latest versions of Go4 and firmware as way too many people were getting caught out and grumbling on the Dji support forums.

When the gimbal is set in Follow Mode rather than in free mode, the aircraft response has to be damped too to help to smooth the movement of the camera gimbal.

If DJI default settings are not the recommended ones from manufacturer, it would be strange?

My gimbal settings out of the box seem to be a little fast and jerky, The gimbal seems to keep moving a little after I stop moving the stick. So I, too, am looking for smooth settings.

Just curious if there has been any update to what some of you are finding to be good gimbal settings for shooting video? I don’t shoot many fast moving subjects so I just need something that will give me a good middle-ground starting place that I can fine-tune from.

Just curious if there has been any update to what some of you are finding to be good gimbal settings for shooting video? I don’t shoot many fast moving subjects so I just need something that will give me a good middle-ground starting place that I can fine-tune from.
FWIW, the Gimbal Yaw Smoothness in Follow Mode does absolutely nothing since last two FW. So, do not even bother setting any value because it does not matter and it does not affect gimbal at all.

Last edited:
Thank you, mmarian. After some of the words of caution, I’ve pretty much left that particular setting alone. I guess maybe it was causing problems for some if DJI essentially rendered it useless though.

Reactions: rmacdppro
Thank you, mmarian. After some of the words of caution, I’ve pretty much left that particular setting alone. I guess maybe it was causing problems for some if DJI essentially rendered it useless though.
Unfortunatelly it is one of the DJI's cock up. It was working perfectly ok until one FW where it stopped. And despite numerous pleadings to bring it back, they ignored it all and as I said 2 FW later it still does not work. I remain hopeful since it was very useful feature and I would very much liked to see it working again..

Ugh! I’m sorry that they’ve messed that function up; I know it’s frustrating to have a particular function that works for you removed/messed up. Hopefully DJI will fix that for you in a FW update soon and hopefully someone here will chime in with some gimbal advanced settings for me :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool